ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-08-18, 09:40 PM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road
My Dr: I think we need to up your dose

Iíve had ups and downs this past two months feeling as though my medication (20mg of XR once a day) doesnít work as well anymore and sometimes feeling revved up after it wears off.

Yesterday I accidentally took more medicine than I was supposed to. I started taking 2.5mg of IR at 5am and then 20mg XR At 7 when I get to work. Well I guess I wasn't paying attention when I cut the pills because I cut them in half rather than fourths. So I took 5mg and 20mg instead of 2.5 and 20. And now I can't remember if I've even been taking 2.5 or 5 by accident. So literally I was buckled in for the ride. I didn't check my phone all day. I spent three hours making a visual guide on how to do an analysis that I discovered yesterday. I sat all day and didn't take breaks or anything. I think I may have gone to the restroom and to get water 2-3 times and thatís it. I also forgot my doctors appt. definitely not a fun day lolol. I don't like being that hooked in like I'm on meth and sucked into the void. Just super focused and felt tweaked coming down.

So I talked to my doctor today and he was like ďI think we need to up your dose.Ē So I told him about yesterday and how I was almost too focused and dialed in and he was like ďThatís actually how itís supposed to be if itís working.Ē And I was like WAT but I felt high though. And he said I may have like also some bipolar ii or mixed depression that is revved up by the stimulants but he says he doesnít doubt that I have adhd because if I didnít I wouldnít have sat and focused for 8 straight hours like that. Basically said the focus is supposed to be that strong and that the tweakiness goes down as body adjusts to new dose. But I forever doubt it because Iím like well some people donít have adhd but they take Adderall and sit and cram for an exam for hours too lmao. But then I forgot my appointment yesterday. And forget my train of thought mid sentence or why I walked into a room or my umbrella at work soooo
Old 11-08-18, 11:32 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,209 Times in 7,322 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Dr: I think we need to up your dose

That seems like some odd advice to up your dose. Especially, since being so over focused ruined your day and caused you to miss an appointment.

I think the Dr’s statement about having no doubt you have ADHD because medication caused you to focus for a certain period of time is absurd.
Old 11-09-18, 05:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that your doctor meant that the focus you had was what should happen but didnt register the part about the side effects? If you had had that experience without the negative feelings would you have been ok with that?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
That seems like some odd advice to up your dose. Especially, since being so over focused ruined your day and caused you to miss an appointment.

I think the Drís statement about having no doubt you have ADHD because medication caused you to focus for a certain period of time is absurd.
I don't think being overfocussed caused me to forget my appointment as much as me not even thinking about it in the first place did. I had to call out sick on Monday because I didn't sleep at all sunday night (not due to meds). I've been really lax about updating my planner so I didn't even have the appointment written down. It was in my wallet and calendar but I didn't even think to look at it. There was this work meeting that kept being rescheduled so I was focussed on keeping track of that one. For some reason I thought the appointment was on Thursday and this is probably because the work meeting was originally there and I had associated the two together but then the work meeting moved back to Wed
Old 11-09-18, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Is it possible that your doctor meant that the focus you had was what should happen but didnt register the part about the side effects? If you had had that experience without the negative feelings would you have been ok with that?
I think so. He said that my fidgeting, foggyness, and distractibility and boredom that are returning signals to him that the dose needs to be titrated up some more. Both he and my therapist have sad that I'm on a low dose for an adult but that I experience side effects so it makes it hard to go up. On my current dose my moods are fairly regulated and my fidgeting and ability to work is better than when I don't take medication, but has diminished. I think maybe once the euphoria of my current dose faded I realized that the level of focus wasn't where it needed to be. I think that may be the case with two days ago. The dose was a jump up so the initial magic of it was strong. I wasn't entirely hyper-focussed. I could still look at the clock and remind myself to get up and switch to other things but I was engaged too.

My doctor says that I seem to be sensitive to the norepinephrine effects of stimulant meds so I get jittery and agitated once the dopamine effects slow down at the day and what's left is the adrenaline crap. So I get heart palps at night and am internally agitated, restless, and can't sleep. He's given me other medications to help manage this and keeps encouraging me to remain optimistic because in the next few years we will hopefully have medications that are purely dopaminirgic without all the adrenaline side effects. He told me there used to be one in the early 2000s and was the best medication they had found for ADHD but that patients began to drop dead from liver failure so they removed it from the market and have been trying to fix it ever since. I'm so much better on meds than off but managing a good dose with the crummy side effects sucks
Old 11-09-18, 12:05 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a switch to Dextroamphetamine may help. The L-amp in Adderall has a greater effect on the nervous system.
Old 11-09-18, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Perhaps a switch to Dextroamphetamine may help. The L-amp in Adderall has a greater effect on the nervous system.
Is that what's in Vyvanse? I asked my doctor yesterday if Vyvanse and Adderall work the same and he said they pretty much do. He said he wants to try this new dose and see how it goes but I could bring that up next month at our next visit. Is it pretty much exactly the same as Adderall but with less of the adrenaline/norepinephrine effects? Because overall the energy, focus, motivation, etc has been life changing for me. It doesn't effect my appetite at all now that I've been on it for a few months. However, I still can't sleep without taking an antihistamine and the tweaky effects after it wears off suck.
Old 11-09-18, 01:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
Is that what's in Vyvanse? I asked my doctor yesterday if Vyvanse and Adderall work the same and he said they pretty much do. He said he wants to try this new dose and see how it goes but I could bring that up next month at our next visit. Is it pretty much exactly the same as Adderall but with less of the adrenaline/norepinephrine effects? Because overall the energy, focus, motivation, etc has been life changing for me. It doesn't effect my appetite at all now that I've been on it for a few months. However, I still can't sleep without taking an antihistamine and the tweaky effects after it wears off suck.
Not the same as Vyvanse. Vyvanse is lisdexamfetamine which actually gets converted to Dextroamphetamine in the body.

Adderall is basically 75% Dextroamphetamine and 25% Levoamphetamine. The Levoamphetamine tends to stimulate the CNS more which gives Adderall itís ďkickĒ.

Dextroamphetamine usually feels like a much smoother version of Adderall with less CNS or adrenaline effects.
Old 11-10-18, 03:00 PM

Thank you for this suggestion greyhound, i will run it by my doctor and see what he thinks. Do you happen to take your medication every day? I was making myself take breaks on weekends but I felt like I wasn't really struggling on those days to have energy and focus to get things done and not laze about. I'm worried about trying to take it every day because of tolerance build and not giving my body a rest from all the stimulation since it's already sensitive to those effects
Old 11-10-18, 11:21 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipwreckSiren View Post
Thank you for this suggestion greyhound, i will run it by my doctor and see what he thinks. Do you happen to take your medication every day? I was making myself take breaks on weekends but I felt like I wasn't really struggling on those days to have energy and focus to get things done and not laze about. I'm worried about trying to take it every day because of tolerance build and not giving my body a rest from all the stimulation since it's already sensitive to those effects
I do take my medication every day. It seems to work more consistently with less side effects for me. I’ve never had a problem with tolerance. I actually take less now than what I’ve been prescribed for years. I’m prescribed 20 mg 2X a day. I haven’t taken that much in 4 years. It worked well at first but after a year, I started feeling overstimulated and starting having side effects again. Then, I titrated down and had much better results and have been there ever since.

I’ve also switched between Adderall IR and Dextroamphetamine IR multiple times. I take 10-20 mg depending on how I feel once a day only in the morning of Adderall IR currently, made by Malinkrodt and it works well. I found less is more for me. Usually, about 3-4 hours later I can feel it wearing off. Usually, I have some caffeine then and can make it through the day.

I’ve had other generic makers that were horrible. One felt like it didn’t work no matter the dose. Another brand made me feel horrible. Many pharmacist’s and Dr’s claim generics are the same and act like new side effects from a different maker aren’t possible. I know for me it can make a huge difference.

If your Dr. keeps you on Adderall, I would seriously consider finding a pharmacy that carries your medication made by another manufacturer. That could make the difference. We have tons of thread and posts about issues people have had with different generic makers.