ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-11, 05:22 PM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: How I cured my ADD

And To You As Well

This thread helps provide a perfect example of "individual"/anecdotal success

stories vs the longitudinal validity & reliability of carefully controlled studies,

reported in peer reviewed journals.

It's like apple & oranges (no pun intended).

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 09-03-11, 07:36 PM
Contributor

johnny_walker has a spectacular aura aboutjohnny_walker has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
After a day of totally vegetarian,
This morning, I felt calmer than before, no serious drowsiness feeling, attention is better than before, but not enough, so I continued to take Ritalin, and now feel great.
I think medication can speed up my metabolism, so that the effect of eating vegetarian will be reflected more quickly.

The patient's good news. Bad news for pharmaceutical companies.
Your just contradicting yourself right there, as you are still using ritalin because it is not enough. So in the end, you still need the pharmaceutical company to help you "focus your attention".

Sometimes, its better to have something that nothing at all.

Keep Walking

Johnny Walker
mctavish23 (09-03-11)
Old 09-04-11, 04:19 AM
Jr Member

champ886 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_walker View Post
Your just contradicting yourself right there, as you are still using ritalin because it is not enough. So in the end, you still need the pharmaceutical company to help you "focus your attention".

Sometimes, its better to have something that nothing at all.

Keep Walking

Johnny Walker
lol

i wouldnt shoot down what he said because he still uses a drug

no one stops overnight

i didnt stop litterally overnight...

the things you have to do to impress people lol...from full dose to no medicine OVERNIGHT is damn near impossible

i took months to wean myself

wow

dont let people discourage you legend you are trying something yourself...if it works it works if it doesnt it doesnt...youll have a story to tell while others will have peer reviewed studies to point at
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-11, 04:26 AM
Jr Member

Id love to see the study on ADD where someone goes on a high fresh fruit and vegetable diet and eliminates processed foods. These studies like to look at one small piece of the picture or another, but they never go out and do big picture studies. There is so much about food that we don't understand...most nutrients are unknown I believe.
Old 09-04-11, 06:10 PM

Thanked 10,187 Times in 3,203 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Then please do so, as the research goes back to the 1970's.

As for going "cold turkey," depending on the age of the individual,

that happens with stimulants on a regular basis, as they are urinated

out of the system within a 24 hr period.

Individual differences in brain & body chemistry aside, stimulants are not

usually subject to having to be "weaned" off of.

However, that is certainly not the case with so many meds;all of which

not psychiatric in nature.

This (ADHD) is primarily about molecular genetics, and the (genetic)

vulnerability to a trait within the general population, that impairs

inhibition and self-control.

There have been a number of "promising" studies on pharmaceutical

grade Omega's, as well as a high protein diet, however, NONE of those

have as yet met the "gold standard" for longitudinal validity & reliability.

If and when they do, that will be a HUGE benefit for everyone with ADHD.

Until then, keeping strictly within the guidelines surrounding the current

science behind the disorder, there's NO empirical support for dietary inter-

-ventions as a Clinical Treatment for the disorder of ADHD.

As I previously posted, someone I respect in the topic area of this thread,

although there is No Way he'd ever use the word "cured," is Dr John F Taylor

of Oregon.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-04-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Marzipan (10-30-11)
Old 09-05-11, 07:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ886 View Post
Id love to see the study on ADD where someone goes on a high fresh fruit and vegetable diet and eliminates processed foods. These studies like to look at one small piece of the picture or another, but they never go out and do big picture studies. There is so much about food that we don't understand...most nutrients are unknown I believe.
I'll trade you anecdotal evidence for anecdotal evidence. Growing up, my brother and I were not allowed to have processed food, except in the extremely rare occasion when my family went out to eat at a restaraunt. If we stayed at a friend's house, we either had to come home before breakfast, take our own foods, or my mother would call my friend's parents with very strict rules about what we could and could not eat. I didn't taste Top Ramen or Lucky Charms until I was 18. Nor did I eat school lunches - we always had them packed for us.

We grew our own vegetables - we had an enormous garden. We picked our own fruits and berries either from friends and family, or drove further into the mountains to pick them. We made our own jams and jellies, did our own canning and baking.

We had chickens, which were free range, so we had our own eggs. Cheese and milk was bought from a small local dairy that served only the local community; sometimes the milk wasn't even pasteurized. (I know that might sound gross to some people, but I LOVED it.) Red meat was either from cattle we raised, or from the occasional year we went hunting. The first time I ate meat from a grocery store was the same year I had Lucky Charms.

In this day and age, you probably aren't going to find many people my age - 34 - with that kind of dietary history. It was about as healthy, wholesome, fresh and unprocessed as you can get.

Yet oddly enough...I had all the same ADHD related problems at six, eight, nine, and fourteen as I did at 34, when I was diagnosed.

If your diet brings you relief, great! That's fantastic, you found something that works. And yes, there are some people who will try ANYTHING for some kind of relief. Some of them do get symptom improvement by altering their diet. Some of them are probably getting that improvement because their diet lacked something that aggravated their symptoms. MSG is a common food additive that causes all KINDS of problems - I had to eliminate it completely from my diet, and I felt amazingly better. Processed foods are unhealthy, I concur.

However, there are genetic factors involved in ADHD - they've been mapped. And there are NO foods that will alter your DNA or affect your genetic structure.

I highly advocate any reasonable means someone discovers for alleviating their symptoms or improving their health overall. However, using the word 'cure' for a disorder that has none is, at the least, ignorant; at its worst, its just cruel.

A genuine cure is the permanent end to a disease or a condition. Antibiotics cure bacterial infections, because they permanently stop the effects of the bacteria on the body. A behavior, medication, or other mechanism that reduces or stops undesirable symptoms is management.

It's inappropriate to use the word cure if you need to stay on the diet to manage your symptoms. A lot of people here have struggled for years with something they know they will never be free of, and it's caused a lot of pain. If you want people to respect the validity of your situation, you have to respect the validity of theirs.
artsyT (09-19-11), BR549 (09-08-11), buddy (09-11-11), croweater (09-07-11), Dizfriz (09-05-11), dsvlil1 (09-07-11), hellokate (11-04-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Komod0Dragon (09-07-11), LittleFrog (10-10-13), Lunacie (09-05-11), Luvmybully (09-11-11), Marzipan (10-30-11), mctavish23 (09-05-11), namazu (10-10-13), pechemignonne (09-07-11), whatsthebuzz (09-07-11), xXMimmXx (11-03-11)
Old 09-07-11, 11:46 AM

whatsthebuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei View Post

It's inappropriate to use the word cure if you need to stay on the diet to manage your symptoms. A lot of people here have struggled for years with something they know they will never be free of, and it's caused a lot of pain. If you want people to respect the validity of your situation, you have to respect the validity of theirs.
I think I almost cried a bit there. Thank you for pointing that out. I know he means well when he introduces us to an alternative to drugs that he thinks will make us ADHD-free but he's being a little naive when he thinks that he above all people has found the 'cure' and despite over 70 years of research into ADHD that it just turns out just to be a case of mismanagement of diet. While there are some genetic disorders in which dietary control are crucial and will cause terrible outcomes if not addressed (ie phenylketonuria) for ADHD neither diet or method of rearing has shown to be the cause of ADHD. to say that diet is what becomes ADHD is like breaking someone's arm with a bat and then saying its that type of plaster that is wrapped around the arm that caused the broken bone. The type plaster may make the difference between healing better but it certainly does not have that much significance for the bone to heal and certainly isn't the cause of the injury. I for one have been raw , vegan , vegetarian , macrobiotic and have not seen any changes that lead me to believe that I could truly be everything I wanted to be on diet alone. Not going down the medication route has cost me alot over the years. He needs to count himself lucky that he managed to get on meds during high school , well before university. whereas those of us with a late diagnosis had to endure years of underachievement no matter how hard we tried.
The Following User Says Thank You to whatsthebuzz For This Useful Post:
Kaimei (09-11-11)
Old 09-07-11, 09:05 PM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

Here's and interesting article I ready recently:

Study Show Positive Results of Dietary Changes on ADHD Children

Author: Kala Viv Williams
Published: March 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm

There is a new study that while hopeful, is bound to stir controversy over treating children with ADHD. The lead study author is Dr. Lidy Pelsser of the ADHD Research Centre in the Netherlands. The findings were reported in the February issue of The Lancet Journal. She found that in 64 percent of the children in the study were actually suffering from a reaction to various foods in their diet that seemed to trigger the disorder. The study followed 100 children with ADHD symptoms between the ages of four and eight years old.

They were divided into two groups. Half were allowed to eat only a small number of foods for five weeks; their diets were customized from a short list of ingredients that included water, rice, turkey, lamb, lettuce, carrots, pears and other hypoallergenic foods. The control group children and families were told about healthful eating but were allowed to eat anything as usual.

After the severe restriction on this diet of foods chosen to be hypoallergenic-the children are gradually adding foods back in and watching for signs. "We've followed all these children for about a year, and each child reacts to different foods," Dr. Pelsser said. "For one child, triggers included beets, tomatoes, wheat and bananas; for another, it was fish, pork, eggs and oranges."

Other studies will follow to see if results are replicated; one flaw of this study is that it is not a blind study-obviously the child and parents knew diet had changed and thus various other factors such as expectation, could have played a part. To listen to the Dr. discuss the ADHD study go to NPR.

The challenge now will be training doctors to educate patients and shepard them through the protocol to see if it works in their case. It seems worthwhile to try before putting our children on medications, that frankly we don't know long-term side effects of.

Read more: http://technorati.com/lifestyle/arti...#ixzz1XJoi0Rk7
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-11-11), Komod0Dragon (09-07-11), mctavish23 (09-08-11)
Old 09-07-11, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

croweater has a spectacular aura aboutcroweater has a spectacular aura about

This sounds like the "Failsafe" diet, which I have seen work for children with non-specific behavioural problems (i.e. anecdotally in children of friends, etc), although not necessarily those formally diagnosed with ADHD. I guess we can all benefit from a diet free of artificial additives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croweater For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (12-17-17), Dizfriz (09-11-11)
Old 09-07-11, 09:24 PM
Contributor

Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the community: a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.
McCann D, Barrett A, Cooper A, Crumpler D, Dalen L, Grimshaw K, Kitchin E, Lok K, Porteous L, Prince E, Sonuga-Barke E, Warner JO, Stevenson J.
Source
School of Psychology, Department of Child Health, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.
Erratum in
Lancet. 2007 Nov 3;370(9598):1542.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
We undertook a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, crossover trial to test whether intake of artificial food colour and additives (AFCA) affected childhood behaviour.

METHODS:
153 3-year-old and 144 8/9-year-old children were included in the study. The challenge drink contained sodium benzoate and one of two AFCA mixes (A or B) or a placebo mix. The main outcome measure was a global hyperactivity aggregate (GHA), based on aggregated z-scores of observed behaviours and ratings by teachers and parents, plus, for 8/9-year-old children, a computerised test of attention. This clinical trial is registered with Current Controlled Trials (registration number ISRCTN74481308). Analysis was per protocol.

FINDINGS:
16 3-year-old children and 14 8/9-year-old children did not complete the study, for reasons unrelated to childhood behaviour. Mix A had a significantly adverse effect compared with placebo in GHA for all 3-year-old children (effect size 0.20 [95% CI 0.01-0.39], p=0.044) but not mix B versus placebo. This result persisted when analysis was restricted to 3-year-old children who consumed more than 85% of juice and had no missing data (0.32 [0.05-0.60], p=0.02). 8/9-year-old children showed a significantly adverse effect when given mix A (0.12 [0.02-0.23], p=0.023) or mix B (0.17 [0.07-0.28], p=0.001) when analysis was restricted to those children consuming at least 85% of drinks with no missing data.

INTERPRETATION:
Artificial colours or a sodium benzoate preservative (or both) in the diet result in increased hyperactivity in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the general population.

Comment in
Lancet. 2007 Nov 3;370(9598):1524-5.
PMID: 17825405 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances, Secondary Source ID

LinkOut - more resources

Supplemental Content

Cited by 10 PubMed Central articles
Correlation between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and sugar consumption, quality of diet, and dietary behavior in school children.
[Nutr Res Pract. 2011]Correlation between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and sugar consumption, quality of diet, and dietary behavior in school children.
Kim Y, Chang H.
Nutr Res Pract. 2011 Jun; 5(3):236-45. Epub 2011 Jun 21.
Ion mobility spectrometry for the rapid analysis of over-the-counter drugs and beverages.
[Int J Ion Mobil Spectrom. 2009]Ion mobility spectrometry for the rapid analysis of over-the-counter drugs and beverages.
Fernández-Maestre R, Hill HH.
Int J Ion Mobil Spectrom. 2009 Aug; 12(3):91-102. Epub 2009 Jul 1.
Lower maternal folate status in early pregnancy is associated with childhood hyperactivity and peer problems in offspring.
[J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2010]Lower maternal folate status in early pregnancy is associated with childhood hyperactivity and peer problems in offspring.
Schlotz W, Jones A, Phillips DI, Gale CR, Robinson SM, Godfrey KM.
J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2010 May; 51(5):594-602. Epub 2009 Oct 28.
See all...
Chemical Compound Information
Sodium Benzoate
MW: 144.10 g/mol
MF: C7H5NaO2
Related information
Related Citations Calculated set of PubMed citations closely related to the selected article(s) retrieved using a word weight algorithm. Related articles are displayed in ranked order from most to least relevant, with the “linked from” citation displayed first.
Compound (MeSH Keyword) PubChem chemical compound records that are classified under the same Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) controlled vocabulary as the current articles.
Substance (MeSH Keyword) PubChem chemical substance (submitted) records that are classified under the same Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) controlled vocabulary as the current articles.
Cited in PMC Full-text articles in the PubMed Central Database that cite the current articles.
Recent activity
Clear Turn Off
Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children...
Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children in the community: a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.
Lancet. 2007 Nov 3 ;370(9598):1560-7.
PubMed
See more...
You are here: NCBI > Literature > PubMedWrite to the Help Desk

Another article explained a theory that these researchers had on why some people react to the dyes and some do not. Something about histamines. Sorry, but it was complicated and I can't recall it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-11-11), mctavish23 (09-08-11)
Old 09-07-11, 09:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,426 Times in 15,023 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Mctavish cured my adhd 5 minutes ago for 2 easy payments of $19.95

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
buddy (09-11-11), Dizfriz (09-11-11), dsvlil1 (09-08-11), ginniebean (09-14-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Kaimei (09-08-11), mctavish23 (09-08-11), pechemignonne (09-07-11)
Old 09-07-11, 09:30 PM

schrodingerkat3 will become famous soon enough

I've been a vegetarian for almost two years and I say vegetarian because even though I'm practically vegan, I will eat eggs and cheese or drink milk when I'm in a financial pinch. Being vegan isn't cheap you know lol. So I said all that to say that I'm still as adhd as ever when I'm off my meds. Dietary changes have done wonders for my health, weight, asthma and overall appearance but nothing for my add. To each their own I suppose. Congratulations on your success.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schrodingerkat3 For This Useful Post:
Illiterati (10-31-11), namazu (10-10-13)
Old 09-07-11, 10:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Half were allowed to eat only a small number of foods for five weeks; their diets were customized from a short list of ingredients that included water, rice, turkey, lamb, lettuce, carrots, pears and other hypoallergenic foods
I think I would rather eat arsenic than adopt this "nutritious diet". As long as the arsenic is sprinkled on donuts.
Old 09-07-11, 11:59 PM
Contributor

When I read this I thought the same thing, but after reading more in depth these researchers realize you would NOT be healthy with these permanent restrictions. The study does not say it is "nutritious" as you said. They are severely restricting your diet for a limited time only. You would have to add foods back in to find the specific foods that are causing problems as they did (which was mentioned in the article), so therefore the final diet would not be so severely restricted. Even so, some might opt for meds rather than restrict any foods. Still interesting and a possible option though, and options are always nice!
The Following User Says Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-10-13)
Old 09-08-11, 07:21 PM
Jr Member

lol @ people not only saying that I didnt have ADD

but now my diet on whole foods and no animal products is unhealthy, and im not really cured because it is restrictful

i mean you MIGHT have an argument if I was doing this just for ADD

but the fact that it ended plenty of other "health problems" i had, nothing live threatening, but things that became more obvious after I changed them...just makes it all sooooo worth it

Medicine fights symptoms. What I do fights diseases. Multiple ones.

Just trying to put "restrictive" in a context.

Popping pills might be easier for me in a time schedule sense. But the side efffects, the long term effects, and the fact that you need a different drug for every condition. I'd have to be crazy to take that option.

Just my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

The only reason I made this thread is not debate. I made it because it may help one person, or two, or three. That's all. I just hope all the negativity doesn't discourage any of these people from being adventurous and opening up their minds and letting their bodies determine what is right for them or not.