ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-11, 09:20 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,962 Times in 14,774 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How I cured my ADD

I never thought you were huffy it's just that there is no cure for adhd. Symptom relief? Yes. Better quality of life? For sure. Cure? Nope.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BR549 (09-14-11), Dizfriz (09-12-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), LittleFrog (10-10-13), mctavish23 (09-12-11), namazu (10-10-13), pechemignonne (09-12-11), peripatetic (09-12-11), Unmanagable (10-30-11)
Old 09-12-11, 04:30 PM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

I can see how someone who eliminates an element in their life that causes a negative might say they are cured. I might be "cured" of diabetes by losing weight or cured of high cholesterol by eliminating certain foods. Should I still say I'm diabetic when I'm skinny because I know gaining weight will bring it back? Do I still say I have high cholesterol because if I start eating cheese again my cholesterol goes up? I say no.
I think a lot of negativity came to a poster because of a mistake or misunderstanding or disagreement over one word, when the main point was how excited the person was to feel better & they wanted to share how they did it.
Some replied that they ate healthy and weren't "cured" like the poster was. The question is, is your diet exactly the same? Also, as one study showed, everyone seems to react to different foods, so one diet plan may not work for everyone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
BR549 (09-14-11), Kaimei (09-14-11), mctavish23 (09-14-11), namazu (10-10-13)
Old 09-13-11, 09:24 AM

fallegend is on a distinguished road

Do not eat bananas, eat a lot of feel bad today.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-11, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by qanda View Post
I can see how someone who eliminates an element in their life that causes a negative might say they are cured. I might be "cured" of diabetes by losing weight or cured of high cholesterol by eliminating certain foods. Should I still say I'm diabetic when I'm skinny because I know gaining weight will bring it back? Do I still say I have high cholesterol because if I start eating cheese again my cholesterol goes up? I say no.
I think a lot of negativity came to a poster because of a mistake or misunderstanding or disagreement over one word, when the main point was how excited the person was to feel better & they wanted to share how they did it.
Some replied that they ate healthy and weren't "cured" like the poster was. The question is, is your diet exactly the same? Also, as one study showed, everyone seems to react to different foods, so one diet plan may not work for everyone.
What many of us have been saying is that research shows that changes
in diet do not cure ADHD. They may improve a condition that looks-like
ADHD, but ADHD cannot be cured by diet changes.

I think it's awesome that the OP was willing to work through an elimination
diet to figure out what was causing his ADHD-LIKE problems, and it's
possible that a small percentage of those who have been diagnosed with
ADHD would benefit from doing the same thing.

But the bottom line is that changes in diet do not cure ADHD. And it's
important that those who read this forum know that.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
BR549 (09-14-11), Dizfriz (09-15-11), dsvlil1 (09-13-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Imnapl (09-19-11), LittleFrog (10-10-13), mctavish23 (09-14-11), pechemignonne (09-13-11), sarahsweets (09-13-11), Unmanagable (10-30-11)
Old 09-13-11, 07:34 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this interesting report on a study done in Belgium and the
Netherlands to look at the effect of an elimination diet on ADHD in
100 kids. The comments following the article are also very interesting.

Quote:

ADHD and Diet: Parsing the Recent Research

April 19, 2011 in ADHD and Health, ADHD in the News, science of ADHD, The Basics by Gina Pera

We've seen the headlines and read the stories regarding a recent study on ADHD and diet. But what is the real story behind the research? You'll find out below. But first, a brief examination of the situation.
...read more here ...
http://adhdrollercoaster.org/the-bas...rch/#more-2061

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-15-11), Imnapl (09-19-11), mctavish23 (09-14-11), Unmanagable (10-30-11)
Old 09-13-11, 07:35 PM
Contributor

qanda will become famous soon enough

Some believe diet can not cure adhd and it's not real adhd if it does. While I would not bet my life savings that diet will work, I would also not bet my life savings that it does not. I'm waiting for more research to mimic or not mimic what was done in the two studies I mentioned to make my decision.

Lots of treatments work for a few but not the multitudes but that does not mean that they do not have the ailment. My friend had stage 4 cancer, basically given a death sentence, but the chemo worked for her for some reason when for most with her cancer it does not. So are you saying she did not really have cancer?

I would respect a response that said most studies show diet does not work, but a few show it does. Those are the facts, not opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
namazu (10-10-13)
Old 09-14-11, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Some believe diet can not cure adhd and it's not real adhd if it does. While I would not bet my life savings that diet will work, I would also not bet my life savings that it does not. I'm waiting for more research to mimic or not mimic what was done in the two studies I mentioned to make my decision.

Lots of treatments work for a few but not the multitudes but that does not mean that they do not have the ailment. My friend had stage 4 cancer, basically given a death sentence, but the chemo worked for her for some reason when for most with her cancer it does not. So are you saying she did not really have cancer?

I would respect a response that said most studies show diet does not work, but a few show it does. Those are the facts, not opinion.
The study I linked just previous to your post shows that diet does help
some people with ADHD-like symptoms, but the general concensus among
scientists and researchers is that the symptoms were caused by allergies.

Old 09-14-11, 08:55 AM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

I think that this person's comments (emphasis mine) sum things up nicely. If diet interventions do work at all, which is not clear, they would only be part of an overall symptom-reduction strategy, and not a cure, certainly not for the vast majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comment
As for diet and ADHD, I personally find that a whole foods diet is a critical part of managing my symptoms. It is not a cure. For that matter, neither are meds, or exercise, or sleep hygiene, or the organizational skills I’ve learned. All of those things taken together are not a cure — they are symptom management.

The kind of elimination diet described in the article is a lot of work, and something a lot of older kids are simply not going to comply with. At the end of the day it is not a “cure” — it manages symptoms. Even in the cases where it “works”, it can’t be the only tool in the ADHD toolbox.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 09-14-11, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechemignonne View Post
I think that this person's comments (emphasis mine) sum things up nicely. If diet interventions do work at all, which is not clear, they would only be part of an overall symptom-reduction strategy, and not a cure, certainly not for the vast majority.
I would have bolded the part about how difficult it would be to get older
kids to go along with such a diet. That's something that was mentioned
in the link I shared - that the diet was tried with kids 4 to 8 years old and
with older kids it might be a lot more difficult to conduct such research.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (09-14-11)
Old 09-14-11, 10:13 AM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know that I would have a lot of trouble following such a diet- or any diet, for that matter. Food is an area where my impulsivity is *very* obvious. For example, I am world's worst lactose intolerant. It gives me terrible stomach pains and indigestion to eat dairy. But that will be hours from now, so if you offer me a piece of cheesecake or lasagna, I will *not* say no.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 09-14-11, 10:56 AM

Thanked 10,182 Times in 3,202 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I'd bet my life savings on the research (and ask for decent odds),because I'd win.

Living a healthier life style is good for everyone,so in that sense, we're all on the

same page.

A neurodevelopmental pediatrician I had the pleasure of seeing about 8-10 yrs ago,

said that nutritional supplements couldn't make their way into the Mesocortical Path-

-way, which is the "route" Dopamine takes to travel throughout the brain.

Astute FORUM members did correct me,however,several years back on nutrients be-

-ng able to cross the Blood Brain Barrier, which I believe she'd said they couldn't.

However, the mistake could have been mine.

Either way, she was emphatic about their not being able to impact Dopamine, due to

not being able to access the Mesocortical Pathway.

I still take Omega's and this AM will be seeing my pcp.

He's a holisitic practitioner from England,with an interest in Autism.

Suffice to say, we have some fun conversations.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 09-14-11, 12:44 PM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold
Post Re: How I cured my ADD

I've done a quick search for studies that analyses the effects of diet on ADHD and they did have success over the control group , so they conclusion was that sometimes ADHD was induced by diet in some cases.
http://aapgrandrounds.aappublication...t/25/6/61.full
http://jad.sagepub.com/content/3/1/30.short

in that last one conclusions are really extensive see

Quote:
Results: Twenty-three alternate Tx were identified, ranging in scientific documentation from discrediting controlled studies through mere hypotheses to positive controlled double-blind clinical trials. Many of them are applicable only to a restricted etiological subgroup. The oligoantigenic or few-foods diet has convincing double-blind evidence of efficacy in multiple trials for a properly selected subgroup. Enzymepotentiated desensitization to foods, relaxation/EMG biofeedback, and deleading also have controlled evidence of efficacy. Glyconutritional supplementation, iron supplementation, magnesium supplementation, Chinese herbals, EEG biofeedback, meditation, mirror feedback, channel-specific perceptual training, and vestibular stimulation all have promising prospective pilot data. Single-vitamin megadosage has some intriguing pilot trial data. Zinc supplementation is hypothetically supported by systematic case-control data but has no systematic clinical trial. Laser acupuncture has promising unpublished pilot data. Essential fatty acid supplementation has promising systematic case-control data but clinical trials are equivocal. Recommended-Daily-Allowance vitamin supplementation, nonChinese herbals, homeopathic remedies, and antifungal therapy have no systematic data in ADHD. Megadose multivitamin combinations are probably ineffective for most patients and possibly dangerous. Simple sugar restriction and hypnosis seem ineffective. Amino acid supplementation, though mildly effective in the short term, is not effective beyond a few weeks. Thyroid Tx is effective in the presence of documented thyroid abnormality, but not otherwise.

Conclusion: Some alternate Tx of ADHD are effective or probably effective, but mainly for restricted etiologic subgroups. In some cases they are the Tx of choice, and initial evaluation should consider the relevant etiologies. A few have failed to prove effective in controlled trials. Most need research to determine whether they are effective and/or to define the applicable subgroup. Some of them, though not safer than standard Tx, may be preferable for an etiologic subgroup.

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
Old 09-14-11, 09:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,460 Times in 582 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

I'm mixing your quoted posts up a bit, qanda, because there are two similiar themes I wanted to reply to.

Quote:
and

Quote:
A cure has a finite period, and once it is applied for the required amount of time, it can be stopped without any subsequent resumption of the disease/disorder/symptoms. So yes, your friend had cancer, and yes, the chemo worked for her. However, chemotherapy is not a cure, it is a therapy. The cancer is in remission; if it ever resurfaces, she will be diagnosed as relapsed, not as a new cancer patient.

Even if you're not taking any medication for something, if you are using any ongoing method of controlling it that requires active maintenance, you're not cured. You may not be suffering, but if you ever stop, you will be. A cure means you can walk away and never, ever think about it again.

Let me put it this way - if you have to be admitted into the hospital, and you have to tell your doctors about it for safety, your method isn't a cure. If a change in your routine, exposure to certain elements you've eliminated, or the wrong medicine could endanger your life or affect your treatment, your method isn't a cure.

You don't go into the hospital and tell them about the cold you had last year, because you took a round of antibiotics and cured it - it's no longer a factor. You sure as heck DO tell them that you're diabetic, even if you haven't needed to take insulin for 10 years because you changed your diet, and your friend will definitely tell them she had cancer, even if her chemotherapy ended twenty years ago, because it's a factor in managing her health.

I had ITP as a child, but I haven't had to do anything to treat it in almost thirty years. Days, months, years go by without thinking about it. However, I am still considered immuno-compromised, and I still actively avoid the things that can trigger a relapse, like aspirin. I am in remission; avoiding aspirin is active management. I have to remain alert to anything that could potentially compromise my health.

I also have endometriosis, which is chronic, can be debilitating, and nobody knows what causes it or how to prevent it. However, six years ago I had a hysterectomy, resulting in a complete cessation of symptoms. But I don't tell people it cured me - I say it doesn't cause me any problems.

Quote:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one - if I found something that worked for me the way he (?) did, I'd be thrilled, and I'd be all over this board with every detail, encouraging those who were interested in trying it. If Sarahsweets came on here and said she finally got a grip on her ADHD by doing three somersaults and a cartwheel before every meal and now she's doing GREAT, I'd be thrilled for her, and I'd probably spend about two weeks doing somersaults and a cartwheel before I set the table. If it worked, I'd think it was superior to the need to take medications for multiple reasons. I'd be happy for her and anyone else it worked for, and I'd expect people to be happy if it worked for me.

Sharing the things that work and don't work - and hopefully giving or gaining insight as to why - is a major part of why many of us come to this board.

As much as it might seem like nitpicking over semantics, though, what the OP repeatedly ignored was not just the currently known facts about ADHD, but also the pain that the word "cure" can cause people who have an incurable or unalterable condition. It's holding out a prize you can never, ever be certain of winning.

When you've been suffering your entire life because of a condition, you've probably been through the wringer when it comes to trying to improve things. That's f$@#ing exhausting - mentally, physically, emotionally. For you, your family, your friends - everyone around you. Each new treatment, each new option brings with it a surge of hope that this time, this thing, this pill, this diet, this vitamin will be the thing that finally - FINALLY! - gives you a way to drag yourself out of the h*ll you've been living it.

And every pill, every diet, every vitamin that does nothing to help you - or worse, helps for just a brief time and then drops you on your **** again - every death of that new hope is crushing. The pain, anger, and bitterness comes back, doubled. Every new hope that dies makes the next one seem a little dimmer, and a little dimmer, and a little dimmer, until you can't see so much as a glimmer anymore.

Do you see where I'm coming from with this? It might seem a little excessive and dramatic, but there aren't enough words to describe the emotional process people go through when that happens.

Your friend, with cancer - while she was going through the long, excruciating chemotherapy process and thinking please, let it work this time! - how do you think she would have felt if someone had come skipping through the cancer treatment center - bouncy, skin flushed with health, good weight, full head of hair - beaming at everyone and saying -

"Look, I cured my cancer and I didn't even NEED to go through chemotherapy! All I did was eat salad and NOW I'M TOTALLY CURED AND I NEVER EVER HAVE TO LIVE IN FEAR AND PAIN AGAIN!"

How, exactly, do you think your friend would feel? Especially if she'd lived on nothing BUT salad for two years after she was diagnosed? And the woman in the bed beside her who was a life-long vegan? The parents of the children in chemotherapy who had done their utmost to give their child the best and healthiest of everything but still had to resort to chemo? How long do you think it would take for families of cancer patients to yank the 'cured' person into the alley behind the hospital and temporarily 'cure' their pain and frustration?

Now, if someone came into the hospital happy, healthy, etc., and told your friend, "I was also diagnosed with cancer, but I've learned to improve my life, and this is how. I found that cutting red meat out of my diet helped this way, and adding more raw vegetables helped like this..."

Telling people on this board that there's a "cure" is a slap in the face to people who have already had more than their fair share of slaps.

Telling people on this board that you've found a way to significantly improve your life and health will get you listened to, encouraged; people will be interested, they will want to what, they will want to learn how, and they will think about whether it's a good option for them. Anything that any of us has found that makes our lives a little better is shared here - even though we know it probably won't work for all of us, we all get a bit of a boost when someone shares their successes. We share realistic support here, not once-in-a-million, dream-of-a-lifetime fantasies.

If I come off sounding bitter, it's because I am. I don't want to belittle anyone's success, but I don't want my face rubbed in something I know I cannot have. My life has improved greatly just recently, and I'm happier now than I've been in a long time. I have a lot of realistic hope about my future, but I could live to be 200 years old and the first 34 years of my life would STILL hurt.

OK, I'm done now. I've temporarily exhausted my grievance over the word "cure," and I know I've certainly gone past a lot of people's ability to read. This has probably been one of the most emotionally exhausting posts I've ever written...
artsyT (09-19-11), croweater (09-14-11), Dizfriz (09-15-11), dsvlil1 (09-15-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Lunacie (09-15-11), mctavish23 (09-17-11), namazu (10-10-13), pechemignonne (09-14-11), Unmanagable (10-30-11), whatsthebuzz (09-14-11)
Old 09-14-11, 10:14 PM

whatsthebuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimei View Post

OK, I'm done now. I've temporarily exhausted my grievance over the word "cure," and I know I've certainly gone past a lot of people's ability to read. This has probably been one of the most emotionally exhausting posts I've ever written...
Emotionally exhausting it may be..but nonetheless one of the most awesome posts I've ever come across in this forum. Damn I wish I could write like you . You're practically a spokesperson for all the pain and anguish all of us go through and I really appreciate you making clear what that feels like and means because some of us , like me, find difficulty putting such feelings into words. The fact that my clouded mind has been made even more clouded by what I've been through doesn't help much either. There hasn't really been a single week that goes by that I don't think about what my ADD has done to me , my family and my life in general. I had dreams...I still have dreams actually..but each time I try to follow through each time I'm reminded of how much I've lost in the past and how much that evidently will cost my future.

Despite the cute and quirky behaviors that accompany us ADHDers , when it all comes down to it I don't think any of us would pass up the opportunity to be 'normal'. Who the hell wants to have a condition, any condition that to be managed for the rest of your life. Im pretty sure that if 'he' had not taken the drug route and let the adhd impact his life til at long last he had a later diagnosis he would be singing an entirely different tune. One unfortunely that would be all too familiar.
Kaimei (09-15-11), mctavish23 (09-18-11)
Old 09-14-11, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

lateralthinker has a spectacular aura aboutlateralthinker has a spectacular aura about

If you read my posts from a couple years ago - I tried the diet thing and had it well managed. Briefly. Fish Oil certainly helped. Saint John's Wort lifted some depression. Vitamins certainly didn't hurt. I made a concious effort to eat healthier and exercise. A 2 1/2 years later, a fifteen month old, and a house later... back to where I started. Why didn't I keep up with that? I have to struggle to remember to take those supplements in the morning and a good diet and exercise take discipline. A baby and a house are come with... distractions. Why do I lack the memory, discipline, and get distracted to the point I can't manage it any further without further intervention?

Because I have ADHD. And, yes, I fooled myself into thinking I was or could be cured.

My wife tries hard to deal with the frustrations that arise, I struggle and as much as I wanted the whole diet thing to work - it may - but it certainly can't sustain through life's ups and downs. I finally got my diagnosis and a prescription yesterday and I'm hoping it will be the start of rewarding and sustained improvement. The meds are merely a start to many other things I will need to follow up on. Like a good diet.

Champ, I will admit (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply didn't have a food allergy), that a good diet goes a long way. High amounts of sugar, fat, and alcohol can worsen ADD symptoms. Or you can simply perform better under certain pressures - there have been times in my life where a certain stress level allows me to function at an almost "normal" level; I excelled in parts of my education that had a high dropout/failure rate - not as good when it was easy.

If you have it you're definitely not "cured"; you just have a treatment plan that's currently allowing you to manage it well. How long it will last is a great unknown; could all end tomorrow or ten years from now. The ADD is waiting right there for a window of opportunity to open. It comes in the form of procrastination, distraction, the smallest lack of discipline, and life's ups, downs, and changes. It could even come in the form of ineffective medication or one that simply stopped working. But it's there, fidgeting and squirming, and waiting to wreak havoc and disarray on us and those around us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lateralthinker For This Useful Post:
dsvlil1 (09-15-11), Lunacie (09-15-11), mctavish23 (09-15-11), Unmanagable (10-30-11)