ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-04, 08:47 PM

Pete is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New to ADD

Hi there, Well I have procrastinated writing this post for three days now since I first came across this board. So alittle about my self, I am 21 y/o and have recently been diagnosed with ADD. A few months back I finally broke down and went and seen somebody about my anxiety. My anxiety was a big issue along with depression. After going to the school counseling and disabilites center I filled out an anxiety questionare and went to go see the physician on campus. I was diagnosed as having general anxiety disorder and depression and was prescribed lexapro for my anxiety and depression. The medication helped some. After a few months of monthly doctor vists My doctor asked me if there was a history of ADD with me. Well I didnt really think so cause I didnt know really what ADD was. So the next time I went to see the doctor he had me fill out two different ADD screen/questionares. Well, guess what, I passed the ADD test and was well over the upper limits. The doctor then prescribed me Strattera but I really didnt think any thing of the fact that I could be ADD. I was like big deal ,dosent matter. Well after about 2 weeks on strattera i started searching about ADD and I was like...WOW! This is me. This actually means that I am not CRAZY! So its been about three weeks since the initial epiphany of me realizing that I have ADD. Heres the question or concern that I have right now. Since I have made the attempt to learn about ADD and try to overcome the weakneses that I have, I havent really changed that much. I have actually spiralled downward and have fallen back into the pre-epiphany state of anxiety depression fears low self esteem extreme procrastination and overwellming worry. I am in college right now and this semester has gone terrible! I feel like I am in a giant muddy hole with steep sides and slippery slopes that I can not climb my way out of. I know that if I could just get out of the whole things would be better and I would be able to show my true self, my true intelligence, the REAL me. Oh, and I am now taking adderal XR and it does help with my focus alot but the fucus has thus far been directed to non productive tasks. Thanks for responding to this if you want to. P.S. I dont know how this started writing italicised. Take Care
Old 11-10-04, 09:49 PM
Contributor

Struggling is on a distinguished road
It's funny how we all seem to have an ephiany and say wow! this is so cool...I'm not crazy! LOL

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone...by any means

I've done the same thing...since I discovered that i probably have ADD, I think I have gotten worse...it's like I'm gonna hit rock bottom before i can climb again. It sucks.

I suffer from Overwhlemization Paralyzation
Old 11-10-04, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

P_Stampy is on a distinguished road
you were diagnosed over 2 sheets of paper?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-04, 10:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation

All your new brothers and sisters will be glad to help you anyway we can.....

Read, Read, and Read some more, and when your ready, jump in and post away to the threads that interest you.

As I am very lazy when it comes to typing so I have created a welcome page and ADDed a link here to get you there

My Welcome Page

Garry

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 11-10-04, 10:34 PM

Pete is on a distinguished road
"I've done the same thing...since I discovered that i probably have ADD, I think I have gotten worse...it's like I'm gonna hit rock bottom before i can climb again. It sucks."

Struggling, I definetly hear you on this. I feel I have hit rock bottom, or am really close to it. through the culmination of everything that has happed thus far in my life and most recently with the ADD. Since I have began understanding what ADD is, it has allowed me to figure out who I am as a person and why I am the way that I am, and do the things that I do. I have tried not to define my self as "ADD", but rather the ADD is one thing that factors into the equation of the charecteristics of my personality and what kind of person I am. And since the ADD encompasses a major part of my life especially right now with school and the issues that come about with school, the ADD has become much more prevalent. I guess there is only one way to go from the bottom and thats straight up to the top!
Old 07-01-11, 10:03 PM
Jr Member

everbetter is on a distinguished road
Re: New to ADD

Read, read, read. The four supports of ADHD treatment are medication, education, therapy and coaching. Take the time to find a med regimen that works for you, read all you can from the leading lights (Barkley, Tuckman, ...), find a good therapist to work on related issues like self esteem and depression, and hire a coach you can work with on workaday strategies. You can do it! You have a whole lifetime to sort it out and make it work for you.

everbetter
Old 07-01-11, 10:05 PM
Jr Member

everbetter is on a distinguished road
Re: New to ADD

If you read this please let me know how you fared in the meantime...