ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-17, 10:18 AM

Yossioo is on a distinguished road
Why did I suddenly develop hyperactivity in my late teens?

Hi. I was diagnosed ADHD 2015. Ill be getting a second opinion on that soon.

In my childhood I was very daydreamy. Ok,I liked to deliberately provoke people from time to time for my own satisfaction but I was very confident and well behaved. Terrible daydreamer,though.

Now,though,it's like some days I'm ADHD on steroids. Pacing. Multi-tasking. Faking heart attacks in front of my family to break the tedium. Swinging back and forth to release my excitement.

Why?
Old 04-17-17, 05:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why did I suddenly develop hyperactivity in my late teens?

Hypotheses:

You used to get more exercise.
You used to get more sleep.
You used to get more caffeine, which partially treated your symptoms.
You used to get less caffeine, and the increased amount aggravates your symptoms.
Your current circumstances frequently cause you to be overstimulated or stressed. (A lot of hyperactivity actions are the same as the fidgeting/stimming that people often do for comfort.)
You've been having increased exposure to some food or other substance that you're sensitive to and it's exacerbating your symptoms.
If you've been on the same dose of meds all this time, you may need a dose adjustment due to weight changes or tolerance.

Also, brains change over time, and the norm is for people to get less ADHDish as they approach adulthood (or at least stay the same), but apparently some get worse. Some research has noted the existence of people who didn't meet ADHD criteria as kids but meet all other diagnosis requirements as adults. (I don't remember if there were longitudinal brain scans involved in that.) Maybe you also got unlucky in the neurodevelopmental lottery.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-26-17), Helloiamdani (04-18-17), Lunacie (04-17-17), namazu (04-18-17), Tetrahedra (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 01:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

I've always had hyperactive symptoms, but I noticed them more the older I got. Probably because other kids left behind the typical 'kid hyperactivity' and I was left with ADHD hyperactivity. I'll note that I was never super crazy hyperactive, either. I moved around a lot, but it probably got lost in the sea of bouncing children and wasn't picked up by any adults. Even as an adult, I am always climbing on things and bouncing around and struggling to sit still.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-26-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-17, 08:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,717 Times in 12,982 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am one of those people that believe that hyperactivity symptoms arent just limited to shifting or tapping your feet. I think the belief that hyperactivity is nothing more than not sitting still is limiting. I talk too much. When I was a kid and diagnosed the teachers always used flowery language like "social butterfly" which was teacher speak for "in other people's business all the time" I wasnt a tapper, but I often got up multiple times to get things. I loved to play active games. I twirled hair and chewed on pens. When I got to college and kept the late hours, physically I didnt have the extra energy to do those things but my mind took off. The mental hyperactivity was brutal. I have bipolar too but it wasnt always a mania thing, it was just too much thinking. Which interrupted my sleep. Now that I have passed the big 4-0 its predominantly physical. The bipolar has been managed for years as well as adhd for the most part but its like I am in second grade all over again. I believe that as we grow, we change and hit different stages in life as we grow. I think physical and mental hyperactivity are equally difficult and inattention and impulsivity are also different as you get older. Think about it:
When you are 8 and waiting on line you might not be able to wait your turn and want to cut in line. when you are an adult, you know you have to wait in line for your turn but might be impatient and irritated about it. Its the same experience with different reactions.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-26-17)
Old 04-18-17, 12:30 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

It should be pointed out, too, that "daydreamy" is potentially a part of the ADHD cluster as well, and instead of just suddenly developing hyperactivity, it morphed from the inattentive version to a hybrid or the straight-up hyperactive version.

In addition to all the factors that Cyllya pointed out that could possibly be happening, what about exercise? I know that even before I was diagnosed and medicated I got a lot less loopy on days when I biked 5 or 10 miles than on days when I didn't. Whatever ADHD is, exactly, its effects seem to be mitigated with dopamine release.
Old 04-26-17, 02:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

aur462 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossioo View Post
Faking heart attacks in front of my family to break the tedium.
Personality disorder comes to mind.
Old 04-26-17, 12:13 PM

Yossioo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur462 View Post
Personality disorder comes to mind.
Meow doggy woof woof
Old 04-26-17, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,557 Times in 10,884 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Late puberty? Hormones can wreak havoc on our systems.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me