ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 11-23-11, 05:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

Well, I just took my first dose. I'm starting low because I'm inexperienced with Desoxyn. My GP gave me the script because I couldn't get in to see my p-doc. He knew what it was and had no problem prescribing it to me. It probably helped that I brought in information and am very knowledgable.

This stuff comes in a sealed bottle. The pharmacist wrote "METH" on the lid with a sharpie. Too funny!

I will let you guys know what I think. I'm a bit irritated because the Dexedrine was working well, but hopefully this will be satisfactory.

The pharmacy actually had it in stock! It seems the shortages have resulted in numerous patients exploring other options. If this truly is all that and a bag of chips, I will stick with it. However, it is far more expensive than the Dexedrine, so I will be switching back at soonest available opportunity if I'm not terribly impressed.

I had the doctor prescribe 100 tablets, enough for 25mg a day (15 less than my daily Dexedrine dosage) but the doctor said I could play with the dose if it wasn't strong enough. I will be taking 15mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. I am hoping the longer duration will mean I will only have to dose twice a day.

I will post an update shortly.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
buddy (11-24-11), demuregeek (04-05-12), inbetweenshades (05-14-13), namazu (11-26-11), Oregon (09-08-13), PositivelyPositive (11-23-11)
Old 11-23-11, 06:59 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Well, I think it has taken full effect. I'm not sure. It is very subtle and smooth. Also, it is extremely relaxing. I feel like I've just finished a marathon night in the sack.

It is not very physically energizing, but really does seem to be without PNS stimulation. I'm sitting here watching a movie and have no desire to get up and find something to do. Adderall is impossible to relax on. Dexedrine is easier, but still a bit forceful. On this Desoxyn (btw, I took 10mg) I feel... normal. Anyway, I think this is what normal feels like. I certainly don't feel medicated.

I still think Adderall is more recreational, but I guess I imagine an amphetamine high to be a very physical experience. Desoxyn seems entirely mental.

It is too early to tell for sure, but I think I like it pretty well. It certainly has an greater axiolytic effect. My anxiety has increased recently. I'm autistic and have bad meltdowns. This forced switch to Desoxyn may be just what I needed.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)

Last edited by tambourine-man; 11-23-11 at 07:19 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
andy1027 (03-23-14), buddy (11-24-11), PositivelyPositive (11-23-11)
Old 11-23-11, 09:13 PM

Ok, the effects are still at their peak. I will not know how I feel about Desoxyn until I have had several days to get adjusted to it.

However, I will go ahead and say that the extreme stigma is, well, very silly. This is by far the most subtle stimulant I have ever taken. It lacks every quality typically associated with "speed." It almost feels like I took a dose of Valium with my Dexedrine.

I'm not complaining. I've come to dislike feeling medicated. If I was inclined to get high, my first choice would be Barr Adderall IR. When I think of an amphetamine high, I think of intense euphoria, energy, waves of physical pleasure (those Adderall adrenalin tingles), and an uncomfortable rebound, characterized by depression, anxiety, paranoia, fatigue, and painful muscle tension.

Desoxyn does not only seem to be less peripherally stimulating, it does not appear to stimulate the PNS at all. My body is very relaxed, and I now realize that I was experiencing considerable jitters and muscle tension on Dexedrine, though not nearly as much as I was on Adderall.

I'm not saying Desoxyn is less potent than Dexedrine, but rather that it is a different kind of potent. If you like that first, electric wave of Adderall, a comparative dose of Desoxyn will leave you hanging. I did not feel my dose "come on" at all. Neither have I noticed any significant points of decline.

Desoxyn is what Vyvanse claims to be - subtle and consistent.

Those who enjoy the kick-start of Adderall or Dexedrine, be warned; Desoxyn is not your drug.

Motivation is not my primary issue. I struggle with depression, anxiety, disastrously impaired executive function, and poor follow through. I have no lack of natural energy, but I do lack the confidence, sustained attention, and executive functioning to channel my energy into successful ventures and responsible choices. This is where amphetamines help me. The less PNS stimulation they bring the better.

So... at first dose, Desoxyn is quite satisfactory. Is is worth the extra cash? Only time will tell...

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Lordsuperman (07-01-13), PositivelyPositive (11-23-11), relax21 (11-24-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-11, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Chace90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Ok, the effects are still at their peak. I will not know how I feel about Desoxyn until I have had several days to get adjusted to it.

However, I will go ahead and say that the extreme stigma is, well, very silly. This is by far the most subtle stimulant I have ever taken. It lacks every quality typically associated with "speed." It almost feels like I took a dose of Valium with my Dexedrine.

I'm not complaining. I've come to dislike feeling medicated. If I was inclined to get high, my first choice would be Barr Adderall IR. When I think of an amphetamine high, I think of intense euphoria, energy, waves of physical pleasure (those Adderall adrenalin tingles), and an uncomfortable rebound, characterized by depression, anxiety, paranoia, fatigue, and painful muscle tension.

Desoxyn does not only seem to be less peripherally stimulating, it does not appear to stimulate the PNS at all. My body is very relaxed, and I now realize that I was experiencing considerable jitters and muscle tension on Dexedrine, though not nearly as much as I was on Adderall.

I'm not saying Desoxyn is less potent than Dexedrine, but rather that it is a different kind of potent. If you like that first, electric wave of Adderall, a comparative dose of Desoxyn will leave you hanging. I did not feel my dose "come on" at all. Neither have I noticed any significant points of decline.

Those who enjoy the kick-start of Adderall or Dexedrine, be warned; Desoxyn is not your drug.

Motivation is not my primary issue. I struggle with depression, anxiety, disastrously impaired executive function, and poor follow through. I have no lack of natural energy, but I do lack the confidence, sustained attention, and executive functioning to channel my energy into successful ventures and responsible choices. This is where amphetamines help me. The less PNS stimulation they bring the better.

So... at first dose, Desoxyn is quite satisfactory. Is is worth the extra cash? Only time will tell...
I think the stigma is because of the lack of side effects and how "smooth" Desoxyn is as well as how well it works. You could probably take a lot of it with minimal side effects compared to other stimulants. I don't really have any real proof of this but it is the only reason I could think of besides it being methamphetamine hydrochloride.
Old 11-23-11, 09:47 PM

@Chase90, I think you are correct to a degree. Also, methamphetamine is more easily produced here in the states, and the word "meth" has taken hold of the public consciousness. Adderall is "that college drug." Ritalin is "that drug for kids who can't sit still." Methamphetamine is "that drug that destroyed uncle Joe-bob who lives in the trailer outside of town."

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
andy1027 (03-23-14)
Old 11-23-11, 10:11 PM

Desoxyn will need to prove itself worth the extra $170 I spent on it. I'm not sure if it is THAT much better. It too early to say whether or not it is better than Dexedrine at all. I can't form an opinion based on one dose. I can say that I am certainly not disappointed at this point.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
PositivelyPositive (11-23-11)
Old 11-23-11, 10:44 PM

If I do stick with Desoxyn, it will be because it has two primary advantages. The first is it's potency. While far less physically stimulating than Adderall or Dexedrine, the 10mg dose I took today more than did the trick. This medication's subtlety is deceptive. It eliminates my symptoms, without that little physical reminder that it is doing so. Also, this first dose appeared to maintain peak effectiveness for twice as long as Dexedrine. While Dexedrine remains effective for four hours, it is really only between the 1.5 and 2.5 hour mark that it shows it's true potential.

This means that I may, indeed, be able to get by on two doses of Desoxyn, whereas I would require three daily doses of Dexedrine. Also, I may not even need 25mg per day. Much of the reason I took 40mg of Dexedrine in three doses was to extend the duration. Two 10mg doses of Desoxyn may carry me the whole day.

Once again, too early to tell (but don't I love recording my observations?!). Sorry guys, psychopharmaceuticals are an Aspie obsession of mine, and there is very little available information about Desoxyn.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Keep0nkeepn0n (12-27-11), PositivelyPositive (11-23-11)
Old 11-24-11, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man
I completely agree. If only Desoxyn Graduments were still available.
The Following User Says Thank You to relax21 For This Useful Post:
pizzas666 (09-22-13)
Old 11-24-11, 03:53 AM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

I'm guessing you didn't get much of a "body boost" out of the desoxyn, compared to dexedrine based on your observations... was your appetite significantly affected?

BTW, I found it to be very relaxing and calming.
Old 11-24-11, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncingoffwall View Post
I'm guessing you didn't get much of a "body boost" out of the desoxyn, compared to dexedrine based on your observations... was your appetite significantly affected?

BTW, I found it to be very relaxing and calming.
Nope, not much of a body boost. I didn't notice any greater appetite suppression than usual.

Very calming... stimulating but not forcefully.

Basically, 5mg of Desoxyn has the therapeutic benefit of about 10mg of Dexedrine, with only 5mg worth of side-effects. Does that make sense?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
PositivelyPositive (11-26-11)
Old 11-24-11, 01:18 PM
Contributor

Bouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to allBouncingoffwall is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man View Post
Nope, not much of a body boost. I didn't notice any greater appetite suppression than usual.

Very calming... stimulating but not forcefully.

Basically, 5mg of Desoxyn has the therapeutic benefit of about 10mg of Dexedrine, with only 5mg worth of side-effects. Does that make sense?
Yes... less side effects per mg of Desoxyn vs. Adderall/Dexedrine.
Old 11-25-11, 03:47 PM

Well, the jury is still out, but my family votes Desoxyn. I'm much, much less tense than I was on Adderall or Dexedrine. Desoxyn is so smooth that I almost can't tell I've taken it. Like most people, I associate certain physical sensations with the medication's effectiveness. I think Desoxyn is actually MORE effective, but it is taking some getting used to. I find it ironic that since switching to methamphetamine, I've been hungrier and sleepier than I've been in months. My family thinks I will adjust and eventually feel less sedated. I believe they are correct.

If you like the "Kick in the pants" of Adderall, you will NOT care for Desoxyn. This is by far the least speedy amphetamine I have ever taken. In many ways it hardly feels like an amphetamine at all, yet the benefits are still there.

The serotonin stimulation, unique to Desoxyn, is very evident. It has pronounced anxiolytic effects.

In many ways, I think Desoxyn would make a better first line treatment option. Why not start on the medication with the least side-effects?

However, I think many patients would be disappointed with Desoxyn. This notoriously potent stimulant is not potent in the way that Adderall and Dexedrine are. It is smooth as butter. Some people like to feel their medication kicking in and wearing off. Desoxyn is hardly noticeable, which I find both refreshing and confusing. As I said, I still need to adjust, but the increasing PNS stimulation of Dexedrine and Adderall was exacerbating my anxiety.

I believe Desoxyn will prove to be a breath of fresh air... once I wake up. I'm going to continue taking 15mg in the morning, and 10mg in the afternoon. Hopefully my body will respond well to this dose as it adjusts. If not, I may increase to two doses of 15mg. I will keep updating my progress here.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
relax21 (11-25-11)
Old 11-25-11, 05:00 PM

Does anyone know if Celexa will have a negative effect on Desoxyn? Are these two OK to combine?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 11-26-11, 12:08 AM

I've been taking Desoxyn for three days now. I hope no one thinks my frequent updates are over the top. I find that it is very beneficial to record my progress and response, and I hope that others can benefit from my observations.

I must say, Desoxyn is not the drug people think it is! I have tried nearly every stimulant on the market. Desoxyn is without doubt the most benign stimulant I have ever taken.

I mean it when I say that many people will be disappointed by it. Personally, I'm finding it to be a breath of fresh air, but only because it is so gentle. Wait, meth is the gentle drug? Yep! To say that Desoxyn is more potent than other stimulants is not saying much, because comparisons fail to illustrate what a completely different drug this is. If potency is measured by symptom relief, then yes Desoxyn is the most potent. If potency is measured by the intensity of that initial buzzy, motivating lift... Desoxyn is WEAK.

I think I expected it to be comparable to Dexedrine, but a bit smoother, and longer lasting. After Adderall, I was thrilled with Dexedrine's lack of PNS stimulation, but it is an edgy roller coaster compared to Desoxyn.

Every time I try a new medication, I find something different and refreshing. I decide I've found the best of the best. What I've learned is that none of these medications are superior - they are all vastly different, and have different applications.

None have been as surprising as Desoxyn. I cannot fathom why this medication has such an enormous stigma attached to it.

So why do I think most people will be disappointed? Well, there isn't exactly a short answer.

Let's face it guys, improved concentration is not the only reason most of us take stimulants. These drugs don't just treat our attention problems. They give us pep, boost our self-esteem, relieve our depression, and motivate us to be successful. They get us up in the morning and get us through the day. This is our dirty little secret. In a world where taking a pill to feel better is frowned upon, we have to pretend that our medications don't make us feel "good."

Guess what? My meds make me feel good! I like taking them! Is that a sin? Must I pretend that I hate taking a pill that improves my life and makes me happy? A pill that has, quite literally, saved me?

I think most people are attracted to Desoxyn because it is the big, bad, ever elusive "pharmaceutical meth." Guess what? If you gave a frat boy both Adderall and Desoxyn and didn't tell him what they were, he would probably prefer the Adderall. Adderall is the med that will allow him to cram all day, party all night, and score chicks with his newfound confidence. He isn't looking for gentle, subtle ADHD relief!

A lot of people just don't want subtle stimulants - that's ok! If you benefit from the kick of Adderall, more power to you. I must warn you though, Desoxyn doesn't provide a bigger, better kick in similiar doses. At therapeutic doses it does not provide a kick at all!

In a world without crooked social politics, Desoxyn would be a first line med, and everyone would be seeking the buzzy, energetic, holy grail of stimulants... known today as plain old Adderall.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)

Last edited by tambourine-man; 11-26-11 at 12:26 AM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
inarmsway (12-14-11), Jason954 (11-26-11), Karamo (04-14-14), missfrilly (09-13-13), pizzas666 (09-22-13), PositivelyPositive (11-26-11)
Old 11-26-11, 11:07 AM

Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

As I become more adjusted to Desoxyn I will start tinkering with my dosage schedule to find what works best.

I really hope I can find a way to make 25mg a day work, but am worried that duration will be a problem at this dose. I need this medicine to work all day. I have been taking 15mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon but this only takes me to about 5:00 or 6:00 in the evening (admittedly far longer than I've gotten out two doses of past IR meds).

I'm wondering if 10, 10, 5 would be a better dosing schedule. 15, 15? 10, 10, 10?

Any suggestions? This is the most crucial time in determining the effectiveness of a new med. The dose and schedule must be just right, or the med will not show it's true potential.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Morpheus-2396 (09-08-13)