ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 03-07-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,325 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Can you picture yourself Dancing in Public/locales?

I watched a slightly overweight woman(exercising) walking towards me dancing and I thought to myself "why not me"?! So I went for a walk of my own and I couldn't do it. The whole thing felt silly and ridiculous.
Even at places where people dance I can't do it. I can't even picture myself dancing without laughing out loud. Do you picture yourselves dancing and just laugh at how silly you would look?
anonymouslyadd (03-07-12), Blueranne (03-07-12), buddy (03-07-12), ginniebean (03-07-12), plank80 (03-08-12)
Old 03-07-12, 12:09 PM

Thanked 27,416 Times in 12,709 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can you picture yourself Dancing in Public/locales?

I don't know if I should laugh or cry when I picture myself dancing.

I can't dance at all and I definitely can't do the dancey walk. I used to try it when I was on my own but even then, it seems too silly and ridiculous to me. In public?? No way!! I've got no sense of rhythm and I feel extremely self conscious. Unless I'm very drunk, I also don't enjoy it very much. I mean, what is the point of aimlessly throwing your arms and legs into the air while listening to crappy music. I hugely admire though people who can dance well. Maybe, it's mainly a confidence issue. I think, if you look confident and as if you know what you are doing then you probably look good while dancing.

Actually, I really hate dancing and avoid it like the plague, which my friends and family just can't understand. They think, I'm extremely weird (apart from a spoil sport). Apparently, dancing is as natural as walking. Well, to me dancing is as natural as flying.
Old 03-07-12, 12:25 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,929 Times in 12,698 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

certainly not! I'm really uncoordinated. I can only "dance" if I LOVE the music and I've had a few drinks. (which was pretty often almost 25 years ago...), I think the last time I danced was at a wedding, and that was probably 5 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-12, 12:31 PM

Dancing seems so fun though
Old 03-07-12, 12:38 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,929 Times in 12,698 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

It is though! It's just that I can't do it very well...
Old 03-07-12, 12:47 PM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

I only dance after about 12 ounces of hard liquor.
Old 03-07-12, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hypoactive has a spectacular aura aboutHypoactive has a spectacular aura about

yes! i LOVE to dance. ironically, i also have problems with coordination and balance, so one would naturally assume i'd be horrific at dancing...and i am, lol -- if i'm trying to follow someone else's lead or choreography, that is.

however, if i'm just dancing freestyle, i'm actually quite proficient...even won a few competitions back in the day.

IMO, *most* people intuitively know if they're at least "decent" at dancing or not...sure, there are always a few that don't and are super embarrassing, and i'll bet they've been told so several times in life and refuse to believe it, lol...but you're a smart guy. you know you've got skillz. now go get your freak on!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypoactive For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 03-07-12, 03:37 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,231 Times in 8,581 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been drunk enough to risk dancing in public.
Old 03-07-12, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I have never been drunk enough to risk dancing in public.
its funny because it has no risk but it definatly feels like it does. For me the risk is a bad memory that will never be forgotten.

When i was in boot camp, we got a one night pass to go out to the local bars. I asked this girl to dance and right as we began, we smashed into eachothers heads.....we both gave eachother this uncomfortable laugh and walk away from eachother. I would pay alot of money to have that memory removed.
Old 03-07-12, 03:53 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I love dancing, and if I look funny to someone, oh well, I'm having a blast!
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 03-07-12, 04:22 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I'm much too self concious & uncoordinated to dance in public.I've tried at weddings but it just didn't feel right.I truly admire those that can though.
Old 03-07-12, 11:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

cyonce has a spectacular aura aboutcyonce has a spectacular aura about

I am very grateful that although I've experienced major anxiety trying new things or risking embarrassment in public, dancing is one instance where I've been able to get past it. It's definitely one of the things that has kept me going this long.

I do partner dancing, specifically a kind of swing dancing called Lindy Hop. It was really hard not to quit when I was first trying to learn. I was very uncomfortable dancing with women I didn't know as well as very self conscious. I have a lifelong terror of looking incompetent at something like this in front of other people.

It's been a huge help in not just giving up the last few years. Even when life seemed pretty grim I could still go out and do this:

Last edited by cyonce; 03-07-12 at 11:54 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyonce For This Useful Post:
robbrt (03-08-17), ToneTone (03-15-17), Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 03-08-12, 09:54 AM

BobbyDrake is on a distinguished road

No, I can't dance in public unless I'm hammered. Way, way too self-concious about it. Some of it has to do with the fact that I'm a big fat fatty fat walrus, the other is that I know I look like a tool when I try to dance. Also, self-esteem problems. When I'm at home and the fiancee is at work, then yeah, I'll shake my moneymaker. It does feel good to dance, and I don't have to worry about people pointing and laughing, cause I'm alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyDrake For This Useful Post:
Brob2 (03-08-12)
Old 03-08-12, 08:45 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,556 Times in 8,797 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

If I feel a groove coming on, I roll with it. So far, no one has been harmed during any of my moves. lol

I'm not very graceful, not a skinny minny, and my rhythm be trippin' more often than not. But I have such a blast and don't give a hoot about what anyone thinks in that moment.

Fly your freak flag and don't let Stella be the only one that gets her groove back!!

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (03-09-12)
Old 03-08-12, 09:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

plank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of lightplank80 is a glorious beacon of light

No I cringe at the many bad memories of me dancing drunk in public. Having no coordinaton or balance should stop me but when the drinks in the wits out..