ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-24-08, 02:01 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

fyi,

Please keep in mind that SCT, while accepted as a feature of ADHD-PI type, doesn't necessarily apply to all Inattentive types.

It also hasn't been proven to be a "Qualitatively different disorder." Yet.

Another term for expressing ADHD is :

"An Intention Deficit Disorder."

That reflects ADHD disrupting the only Output Function of the brain (Sustained or Persistent Attention: the ability to persist long enough to finish a task).

It also deals with the reality that the Executuve Functions, which are the heart & soul of ADHD impairments, do not acquire knowledge, they appy it.

Thats why ADHD is a "Disorder of DOING what you know and NOT knowing what to do."

More practically, this is also why ADHD kids cannot complete their daily classwork in a timely manner.

Nor can they be "taught responsibility" of being able to do that.

They can NEVR do that; without accommodations (i.e., fewer problems, decreaesd workload, & not sending home unfinished schoolwork).

But the biggest "DUH " accommodation ( not surprisingly, supported by research) is that you should NEVER keep ADHD kids in at recess to finish incomplete work.

They need MORE activity than their non-ADHD classmates.

It also creates the situation where they "explode" when they get home and have to do chores and/or homework + unfinished classwork.

They can only hold it in, while being treated like they don't have it (ADHD), for so long.

An SCT kid will be equally unable ( as their ADHD-H-I & C-type counterparts) to finish their work as well.

Since they present as "hypo" instead of "hyper" active, they'll need lots of help with getting started (Initiation), and staying on task.

I also believe they'll be more likey to get called "lazy," however, that's strictly a personal assumption.

They also need physical excercise, even if they look like they're in "slow motion."

tc
mctavish23
(Robert)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
despirit (05-25-08), Prusilusken (08-10-08), Retromancer (05-24-08), sloppitty-sue (05-24-08)
Old 06-04-08, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

purerealm is on a distinguished road

When I was in grade school I had top-notch grades too, I had better reading ability speed and comprehension than most of my classmates up to grade 4, and then it seems like in high school i just couldn't keep up anymore, started to lose interest in school and it's been like that ever since
Old 06-29-08, 12:37 AM
Jr Member

barone is on a distinguished road

I registered just to post on this thread because I too have a lot of the symptoms of SCT. I read through this thread and the wikipedia article....

im slow at processing information sometimes and want to know how to fix this without medication. Besides doing brain games like soduku, how I can I improve my brain? Maybe some vitamins I can get?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 01:44 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purerealm View Post
When I was in grade school I had top-notch grades too, I had better reading ability speed and comprehension than most of my classmates up to grade 4, and then it seems like in high school i just couldn't keep up anymore, started to lose interest in school and it's been like that ever since
I was like a genius up until 5th grade. dont know what happened
Old 07-06-08, 02:29 AM
Jr Member

Post on this thread if you think you have SCT
Old 07-06-08, 05:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

I already did - some time ago

I had the same thing - tested 100th percentile on iq tests in primary school - I wanted to know *everything*, mostly how things work in nature, technology etc. As long as I could figure it out in my own way it was ok but when I had to start paying attention in class (around grade 7) - belain istagir! - downhill it went. I did finish highschool, but barely.

Quote:
im slow at processing information sometimes and want to know how to fix this without medication. Besides doing brain games like soduku, how I can I improve my brain? Maybe some vitamins I can get?
I am very skeptical about the power of - both soduku (am I the only person in the world that has never done one?) and vitamins to reduce ADD / SCT symptoms. Probably the games are fine as they do no harm, but large doses of vitamins may even be harmful (search on quackwatch for 'orthomolecular').

Medication (in my case, dexedrine) helps to a degree .. I notice a significant improvement of "things I get done", feel more 'present', my mind fog disappears and I feel much calmer inside, and active on the outside. I even get a lot more exercise - I also had quite an aversion towards physical exercise ... that disappeared completely. I now love to walk and bike .. and that is good for concentration and motivation as well. I can bear being in meetings a lot better.

What did not change .. I am still easily distracted and very daydreamy, it's still hard to process auditory information, still tend to go to bed far too late (and hence sleep too little).

But on the whole - I'll settle for it!

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

Old 07-07-08, 10:04 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for the informative response Luthien, lots of insight there.

I will look into dexedrine and ask my doctor. It really is too bad that we haven't found a way to improve processing auditory information though. Its just so important.... if somebody is trying to explain something with like 4 steps, it's abnormally hard for me to understand. I do not want this to continue into college. If I am able to process auditory information better, it will make college life so much easier, and im starting this fall.

Some days I barely get things done and might be mad about that, so Dexedrine could help there with calming me down and getting more things done.

About soduku... its just a puzzle game, i think any game like that gets your brain stimulating. Not sure if I believe that 100% either. I have never played soduku.

One other thing: I've never had any treatment for ADD/SCT and have never taken more than one vitamin. Once in a while I take a B-12 dot (supposed to give iron and energy or something)
Old 07-07-08, 10:17 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone View Post
One other thing: I've never had any treatment for ADD/SCT and have never taken more than one vitamin. Once in a while I take a B-12 dot (supposed to give iron and energy or something)
FYI: Vitamin B12 deficiency is not common, and if one's daily intake is not sufficient (in strict vegans), it can take quite a long time to notice any adverse effects (generally up to 5 years in adults).

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...339/20862.html
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 07-12-08, 07:10 PM

ResilientFighter can only hope to improve

do I get it? sooo....

ADHD and ADD are considered the same disorder that manifests in different ways but in the year 2012 ADD and SCT will be considered the same thing? or ADD will be known as SCT from then on??? I don't like 'slugglish' in my diagnosis :/

did I understand correctly??
Old 07-12-08, 08:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDfem2008 View Post
do I get it? sooo....

ADHD and ADD are considered the same disorder that manifests in different ways but in the year 2012 ADD and SCT will be considered the same thing? or ADD will be known as SCT from then on??? I don't like 'slugglish' in my diagnosis :/

did I understand correctly??
No, you get it quite wrong.
And! What has the year 2012 got to do with it? What did I miss this time?
A new age conspiracy of sorts?

I thought that, in the next edition of the DSM, it might happen that the people with an SCT profile - that is, if you have no hyperactive / impulsive traits at all - are going to get another label than ADHD-PI - because the 'H' is just nonsensical for us. Might. Not certain. Not.

Now, the tipping point between ADHD-C and ADHD-PI is rather randomly established at *6*. If you have 6 or more, you are ADHD-C (ADHD) - if not, you are ADHD-PI - or ADD or primarily inattentive.

But within that ADHD-PI (ADD - inattentive) group, there is too much of a variety. That is where the SCT label comes into play .. the ones that are really quiet, introverted, shy are supposedly quite different from the ones that are more spunky - in history, problems we encounter, etcetera.

So if you're a Hyper - no worries, you are never going to get a SCT label. That is only for the ones that have no H at all. I don't mind .. have been called 'sluggish' since pre-school .. I can take it. No worries.

But just to make sure .. the sluggish is only the I/O .. internally our mind's just as zippy as yours!

Plus, we're illegally cute, of course

Old 07-12-08, 11:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

AnneM will become famous soon enough

So happy to read about SCT. Recently I had read about it online and then I saw it here in the forum. I also hate the label > sluggish < cognitive tempo. But I really can relate. I am often in my own little world and I really have a terribly hard time processing auditory information >> but can any medication even help that? People talk to me sometimes and it takes me a sentence or two before I start understanding what they are saying. It is literally just noise (the way I would think a newborn perceives language) and then awhile later the meaning comes. Sometimes I'm okay and other times I'm just really slow. It's disturbing.

Also > I was into doing Sudoku for awhile and I was still my little spacey, slow-moving, "in my own world" self.

I just started meds again...hopefully I'll become a little more "with it" again soon.

So happy to see others out there who feel a strong identification with what is being called SCT.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnneM For This Useful Post:
ajmit3 (04-09-14), xxskar34 (09-02-08)
Old 07-13-08, 06:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneM View Post
... I am often in my own little world and I really have a terribly hard time processing auditory information >> but can any medication even help that?
I think only partly. Speaking for myself: medication takes the fog away so that everything becomes far more clear. I experienced it as very 'peaceful'. So that might help in auditory processing .. less internal distraction. And I have more patience .. can listen to someone for longer without this sensation that your mind wants to go off elsewhere after a couple of seconds.

But the working memory still feels the same. When someone starts explaining something to me I still feel like a juggler who is already keeping 5 balls up in the air and is being handed more and more.

But what I do now, is to explain that I need it in a more visual way .. or to see an example. Before, I did not have the presence of mind to do that.

Quote:
People talk to me sometimes and it takes me a sentence or two before I start understanding what they are saying. It is literally just noise (the way I would think a newborn perceives language) and then awhile later the meaning comes. Sometimes I'm okay and other times I'm just really slow. It's disturbing.
oh yes, that is so recognisable!

Quote:
Also > I was into doing Sudoku for awhile and I was still my little spacey, slow-moving, "in my own world" self.
For me it depends on what I do. When doing something that I really like which does not depend on slow I/O like creativity (like that 'define a word game' in here) or making a computer program I can enter a sort of 'magic mode' in which I am amazingly fast, creative and productive.

That contrast has always puzzled me.

btw I never did sodoku .. but I would not be surprised if I was slow in that too.

luthien

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
evanh (10-01-08), sloppitty-sue (07-14-08)
Old 07-17-08, 04:12 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
So happy to read about SCT. Recently I had read about it online and then I saw it here in the forum. I also hate the label > sluggish < cognitive tempo. But I really can relate. I am often in my own little world and I really have a terribly hard time processing auditory information >> but can any medication even help that? People talk to me sometimes and it takes me a sentence or two before I start understanding what they are saying. It is literally just noise (the way I would think a newborn perceives language) and then awhile later the meaning comes. Sometimes I'm okay and other times I'm just really slow. It's disturbing.

I just started meds again...hopefully I'll become a little more "with it" again soon.

So happy to see others out there who feel a strong identification with what is being called SCT.
Good response.... a lot of people like us are coming out of the woodwork to look at this thread. I really hope a medication or something with limited side effects can help us with processing auditory information. It will help so much for me with college lectures and just in general if someone is explaining like a 3-step process.. theres no way im going to remember it if all 3 steps are complicated.

My mother does soduku too and she says a lot of times she feels like shes in her own world to herself as well. Like 95% of the time when Im telling her a story or something she doesnt listen LOL.

Quote:
For me it depends on what I do. When doing something that I really like which does not depend on slow I/O like creativity (like that 'define a word game' in here) or making a computer program I can enter a sort of 'magic mode' in which I am amazingly fast, creative and productive.

The magic mode thing is the same with me: When I am doing something I enjoy profusely, I can really get in the zone.
Old 07-17-08, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

AnneM will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
It is interesting how my brain can slow down and take a nap in the midst of doing something and then at other times I'm very with it. And I think this is what confuses other people who don't have ADD. I showed my husband some of the attributes for the SCT and he said that he only saw some of them in me >>like losing things, forgetting things >> but as for having slow response times (due to processing problems) he said he didn't notice that. This is very frustrating to me...it is almost as if it is a "phantom" symptom. auditory problems? >> what?

Anyhow, is anybody else out there who identifies with this SCT stuff very aloof?
I'm very confused here too -- sometimes I'm aloof because I'm afraid I'll be bored to death and then I think maybe it has to do with the fact I can't keep following a conversation if I'm not sincerely interested. Then I think maybe I'm just shy because of some of the reactions I get to my behavior and comments. If you can't keep up with small talk your bound to say some off the cuff remarks that make no sense to anyone but you.

Anyhow, I'm rattling on...I hope this thread keeps up I'm really interested in where all this SCT stuff will be going in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnneM For This Useful Post:
xxskar34 (09-02-08)
Old 07-17-08, 09:12 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

In the past couple of years, I've evaluated 2 or 3 kids that fit the subgroup within the ADHD-PI type.

(Please recognize that I'm fast forwarding to the results section and skiping all the evidence based assessment that got me to this point).

Assuming the diagnostic criteria for ADHD has been met first,which is actually a mandate on being able to move forward, the distinguishing characteristc(s) that stood out the most to me (anecdotally), were the slowness of both gait/ motor movement & speech.

It was like they were in slow motion.

What really seems to compound the problem is that these kids are not likely to stand out, get into trouble or even raise their hands.

The article by Russell Barkley, PhD.,from San Franciso (2000), available on his website, does an excellent job of presenting the case for a "Qualitatively different disorder."

I appreciate the excellent posts on this subject, as there's not a lot out there.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

PS.

There are NO vitamins / supplements that do anything for the specific treatment of ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
bradd (09-26-09), Imnapl (07-17-08)