ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Websites
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Websites Websites of Contributing Members

Old 04-02-15, 09:38 PM
Jr Member

ADifferentDrum is on a distinguished road
A Different Drum: An awareness site on SCT and inattentive ADD

I wrote and organized A Different Drum, an awareness site on SCT and ADD without hyperactivity. There is very little information available on SCT and there are so many misconceptions. One of my goals was integrate lots of information from different sources so that people can be more informed. Like any other disorders, SCT and ADD are not just a laundry list of symptoms. There are actual personal stories behind each person with depression, bipolar, autism, schizophrenia, SCTÖ.you get the idea.

I have one of the purest forms of SCT with nearly all its symptoms and comorbidities (along with my own personal quirks). SCT struck a nerve with me too deep to let the issue go. I decided to go on a knowledge journey these last few years and A Different Drum is the result of that.

The site does have some quasi formality to it (compared to a blog), but I made it as easy to read as possible. Hopefully it addresses some questions that people may have on the issue. Besides, the ADDForums community has helped me out immensely and making this site was my way of giving back as well. Because of ADDForums, I have found some nearly identical clones of myself.

Let me know what you think and feel free to offer suggestions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADifferentDrum For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-22-15), daveddd (09-22-15), Unmanagable (04-02-15)
Old 06-23-15, 01:39 AM
Jr Member

ADifferentDrum is on a distinguished road
Re: A Different Drum: An awareness site on SCT and inattentive ADD

To my surprise, I had sent Dr. Barkley an email and he responded back! Here's what he had to say:

Quote:
This is a fantastic website with a nice discussion of the issues related to SCT or what I wish to call CDD now. I like your discussion of whether or not it is part of ADHD or ADD. Like you I hope that more research will get done now that we are arguing for this as separate from but in some cases overlapping with ADHD. The first neuro-imaging study was published two weeks ago showing that a different brain region is implicated in SCT compared to ADHD symptoms. It's a start. More needs to be done on that issue and especially on treatments. Thanks for your work promoting awareness of SCT.

Be well,

Russ Barkley, Ph.D.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ADifferentDrum For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-22-15), BellaVita (06-23-15), BioLiberate (09-22-15), daveddd (09-22-15), Greyhound1 (09-22-15), namazu (06-23-15), someothertime (07-08-15), Unmanagable (06-23-15)
Old 09-22-15, 11:31 AM

BioLiberate is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the response from Dr. Barkley! That is impressive!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BioLiberate For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-22-15), finallyfound10 (09-23-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Bravo for advocating and educating on this form of attention disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellbarkley
This is a fantastic website with a nice discussion of the issues related to SCT or what I wish to call CDD now.
I had to look that up to see what CDD refers to. Concentration Deficit Disorder.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-22-15), BellaVita (09-22-15), daveddd (09-22-15), finallyfound10 (09-23-15)
Old 09-22-15, 04:58 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Bravo for advocating and educating on this form of attention disorder.

I had to look that up to see what CDD refers to. Concentration Deficit Disorder.
all good stuff in this thread

but i have a bad feeling the name "concentration deficit disorder" is going to get a lot of stigma and nasty attention
Old 09-22-15, 10:19 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I got excited when I saw it was cited. Or had citations, rather.

And validation and thanks from Dr. Russel Barkley, Ph.D. One canít do much better than that! Take a moment to be proud of yourself.

Regarding formatting, I suggest you add an additional line break before each blue-titled section. I think this will help overall readability and contribute to the visual impact of each section.

Well-done!
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (09-23-15), Lunacie (09-22-15)
Old 09-22-15, 11:17 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on admirable work!

I do wonder, after reading some of what you've written, whether you intend to explore the possibility that ADHD-PI and SCT (or CDD) might be separate things that both exist.

Perhaps I'm wrong - maybe separating those two isn't realistically possible or logical.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (09-22-15)
Old 09-22-15, 11:58 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,904 Times in 9,304 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Congratulations on admirable work!

I do wonder, after reading some of what you've written, whether you intend to explore the possibility that ADHD-PI and SCT (or CDD) might be separate things that both exist.

Perhaps I'm wrong - maybe separating those two isn't realistically possible or logical.
Does SCT have emotional dysregulation?

I know hardly anything about it.

I do know (and have seen) that those with ADHD-PI do have emotional dysregulation.