ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-18, 06:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Articles about Doctors getting paid the more they write pain pill prescriptions.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/healt...ise/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/healt...ogy/index.html

The first article talks about doctors getting paid for opiate prescriptions and the second details their methodology and science used to write the article.

I know there are bad doctors out there-everyone does. But are they getting paid left and right like this implies? Can someone good at breaking down scientific research on layman's terms help me understand if their methodology and findings are valid and unbiased and all that jazz?
I was receiving a smalle (5mg) opiate rx from my PCP for basal joint arthritis as a result of an autoimmune disease ( Ill be getting Joint replacement surgery soon) and she decided it was too risky and referred me to pain management which I have this Thursday.
When I broke 4 of my toes the urgent care didnt give me anything because they said I had a"standing" script for opiates(even though its for 1 a day for a specific problem) so I had to heal in pain (they also missed the fact they were broken but thats another story). When you are supposed to take something as prescribed-in my case for the joint pain, you cant very well take it however you want multiple times a day. I get 30 a month and I halve them. I do not want anything stronger and I dont want to be impaired or high. I monitor the situation closely with my husband due to the alcoholism. Thank God I never had an opiate problem.

Around her we had one doc busted for indiscriminate prescribing but every other doctor I have seen is not willing. Even with my hand surgeries there was a days worth and that was it.

So is it because of my location? Is article entirely correct?
I KNOW there are awful doctors but do they qualify as a doctor epidemic? I know there is an opiate epidemic but around here its tons of heroin.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-12-18, 09:54 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Articles about Doctors getting paid the more they write pain pill prescriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/healt...ise/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/healt...ogy/index.html

The first article talks about doctors getting paid for opiate prescriptions and the second details their methodology and science used to write the article.

I know there are bad doctors out there-everyone does. But are they getting paid left and right like this implies? Can someone good at breaking down scientific research on layman's terms help me understand if their methodology and findings are valid and unbiased and all that jazz?
I was receiving a smalle (5mg) opiate rx from my PCP for basal joint arthritis as a result of an autoimmune disease ( Ill be getting Joint replacement surgery soon) and she decided it was too risky and referred me to pain management which I have this Thursday.
When I broke 4 of my toes the urgent care didnt give me anything because they said I had a"standing" script for opiates(even though its for 1 a day for a specific problem) so I had to heal in pain (they also missed the fact they were broken but thats another story). When you are supposed to take something as prescribed-in my case for the joint pain, you cant very well take it however you want multiple times a day. I get 30 a month and I halve them. I do not want anything stronger and I dont want to be impaired or high. I monitor the situation closely with my husband due to the alcoholism. Thank God I never had an opiate problem.

Around her we had one doc busted for indiscriminate prescribing but every other doctor I have seen is not willing. Even with my hand surgeries there was a days worth and that was it.

So is it because of my location? Is article entirely correct?
I KNOW there are awful doctors but do they qualify as a doctor epidemic? I know there is an opiate epidemic but around here its tons of heroin.
Hi Sarah, I haven't looked over the articles and will try to make time to. I believe it is the norm for Pharma reps to improve sales by working closely w/ their targeted medical professionals. I always think of it like sales people for large corporations and the purchasing personnel for existing/potential customers. A good working relationship is beneficial for everyone, but there is a lot of potential for abuse.

Regrading the withholding of needed meds, that is a problem IMO. If that situation were to arise again, how would you get the meds you need or at least who would be responsible to satisfactorily explain to you why meds aren't needed? I think in my case I would work it out w/ my PCP. I would guess he would work out w/ other Doc's as needed, but that is still a guess. -LN
Old 03-13-18, 04:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,936 Times in 14,760 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Articles about Doctors getting paid the more they write pain pill prescriptions.

I dont know how to balance pain relief for chronic pain people with people who are addicted to opiates. You come down too hard on either side and one side gets screwed.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links