ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-10-05, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Daven is on a distinguished road
bah, more problems with adderall xr

After a week or two of a good working dosage of adderall xr, im back where I was. Sleepy about an hour after taking it and no focus at all.

Im guessing ill just try regular adderall. Anyone have the same problems with XR?
Old 03-10-05, 03:27 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Some people do complain about XR. The people who love it you don't hear from so much....
Spotty performance has always been an issue with sustained release pills - be it consistant timing of the release, or the length of time the pill lasts, etc. That's why there are so many different time release delivery systems - from coated beads to wax matrix to the highest tech system - used with Concerta - where water passes through a semi permiable membrane, gets absorped by an innert substance that expands and pushes the drug out of a precision, laser-drilled hole in the membrane! Wonder why Concerta is so expensive? That's why
I can see the benefits of extended release, as long as you can find one the works the way you'd like - you don't have to remember to take a dosage, bring pills with you, etc and for kids in school, you'd almost have to use an extended formulation - but I'd personally recommend that you first find the drug and a dosage that works best for you and then once you do, try and emulate the effect with an XR version. This way the unpredicability of the extended release won't confuse the issue of dosage.
I personally haven't switched from regular release dexedrine - I really like the control it gives me which is well worth the hassle of remembering to take pills and the slight added expense.
Old 03-11-05, 11:28 PM

mustFocus is on a distinguished road
I talked to my doctor today and I'm trying XR for the next month. The Ritalin was working well but it was a hassle dragging pills back and forth to work to take all three doses. Plus, if I took the next dose too late, I would get pretty tired and cranky. Anyhow, I'll report back on how the Adderall works, good or bad.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-05, 12:56 AM

HughEvans is on a distinguished road
How long have you been taking XR? If it's been a month or two you may just need to have your doc increase the dose a bit. When I first started I had 10mg/day, after a week it went up to 20mg. My next Rx was for 20mg and it worked great for about 3.5 weeks, so my doc and I decided to bump the dose to 30mg and it's working great. That could be your problem, too.

Another thing to consider (since you're a chemist I can give you the straight dope) is how bloody sensitive of a drug amphetamine is. pH, intake of fatty foods, proximity of taking a dose to meals, etc. change the rates of absorption, excretion, time until peak plasma levels are reached, and so on and so forth.

I always take my morning dose with ~16oz. of water. Throughout the day if I'm thirsty I drink water. When I know that I want to wind down I'll drink a soda. Theoretically it would be very easy to control the drug.

Some people get rather concerned about the baking soda/antacid potentiation effects. The only time this can really become a problem is if you intentionally maintain alkaline urine. Under such conditions amphetamines are, for all intensive purposes, not excreted. Therefore amphetamine could build up to dangerous levels without much of any bound. However, excretion is similarly sensitive to acidic conditions (5 to 6X faster elimination). So if one was to maintain alkaline conditions throughout the time of desired effect and introduce acidity when they wish for the effects to taper off it would work very nicely.

One more thing to remember is that XR has very low base amphetamine equivalents. The strength may start to sound impressively high, but you're not taking straight D-amphetamine here. The left handed enantiomer is something like 1/10th as powerful as the D form.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-05, 02:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Daven is on a distinguished road
Yea, I started a thread about absorption recently. Ive started to be a little more careful with how I take it, but I'm still experiencing a few problems. I think I narrowed down the cause though.

I started on 20mg twice a day, and that did nothing for me past the first 2 days, then I upped it to 40mg twice a day. Now I'm fine until about 1pM, then I can feel the effects dropping, so i usually take my second dose about then. But after that does starts absorbing, I get slightly worse than without the adderall. I'm thinking that I still have some of the amphetamine active, and I'm sort of getting a "mini-overdose" so to speak. Then about 4PM or so, I'm fine.

So I'm thinking about trying regular release adderall for the mid after noon and just living with the weaning medication for an extra hour or so. And yes, its a damn fickle medication.