ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:48 AM
Mindful moderator

Thanked 4,848 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant future
Re: The Traditional 12-Step Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
Did you know that is your illness talking to you? Do you realize that?
Maybe, but I just don't know if it's going to happen and when. At least not today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (Today)
Old Today, 02:59 AM
Forum Guru

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
That accusation is exactly the kind of thing this monster tells us. Shouts at us. Whispers when we don't expect it. "You'll never make it punk. You never done nothin right. You think you're gonna suddenly be a big shot abstinence hero-type guy? LOL! Who Cares, you jerk? You won't be having any fun! That's all you got waitin for you, you stupid jerk!"
Old Today, 03:15 AM
Forum Guru

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermus View Post
Maybe, but I just don't know if it's going to happen and when. At least not today.
Quote:
That's what a therapist told me. Hard to accept, for me, but I think there's truth in there. Our thoughts are powerful. A sweet gal in AA used to say, "i don't have a problem with a higher power. I'm fine with a higher power. It's the lower power that troubles me sometimes." That lp uses my illness to drag me down, to get me discouraged. I think there is something to it.

Regardless, my HP has proven to me that He's hip. You know? He's cool. I never really trusted anybody w/o getting burned. Him? Well, I've gone through h... and thought He was letting me down, causing pain. I think He has allowed pain in my life, more than I'd like, but, I also suspect, as He's proven, good comes from all things if we remember that He is a good dude, you know?

I have a good bud and when I'd share my pain with her, she often responded, "But, if you didn't go through those things, you wouldn't be who you are."
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Hermus (Today)
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 06:55 AM
Mindful moderator

Thanked 4,848 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant futureHermus has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's what a therapist told me. Hard to accept, for me, but I think there's truth in there. Our thoughts are powerful. A sweet gal in AA used to say, "i don't have a problem with a higher power. I'm fine with a higher power. It's the lower power that troubles me sometimes." That lp uses my illness to drag me down, to get me discouraged. I think there is something to it.

Regardless, my HP has proven to me that He's hip. You know? He's cool. I never really trusted anybody w/o getting burned. Him? Well, I've gone through h... and thought He was letting me down, causing pain. I think He has allowed pain in my life, more than I'd like, but, I also suspect, as He's proven, good comes from all things if we remember that He is a good dude, you know?

I have a good bud and when I'd share my pain with her, she often responded, "But, if you didn't go through those things, you wouldn't be who you are."
I understand and my thoughts about it might change over time (or not). The most important progress I've made until now is that I could let go of the idea that I'd rather be in an unhealthy relationship than in no relationship at all. That's a thing I really didn't see that way a few weeks ago. There is a long road ahead, but I'm making progress.

Another thing that I notice is that a thing they advised in SLAA is working for me. They don't say to avoid looking at women, but obsessing about it isn't healthy either. Instead the advise I got from my sponsor regarding beautiful and sexy women is: Look, appreciate, look away. That does wonders for me. I no longer need to either nervously look away, nor do I keep watching all the time.

Another sign of recovery that I notice is that I can have contact with female fellows that in the past I avoided because they were triggering. Now I don't particularly feel triggered anymore.

So way to go for recovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (Today)
Old Today, 01:55 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermus View Post
I understand and my thoughts about it might change over time (or not). The most important progress I've made until now is that I could let go of the idea that I'd rather be in an unhealthy relationship than in no relationship at all. That's a thing I really didn't see that way a few weeks ago. There is a long road ahead, but I'm making progress.

Another thing that I notice is that a thing they advised in SLAA is working for me. They don't say to avoid looking at women, but obsessing about it isn't healthy either. Instead the advise I got from my sponsor regarding beautiful and sexy women is: Look, appreciate, look away. That does wonders for me. I no longer need to either nervously look away, nor do I keep watching all the time.

Another sign of recovery that I notice is that I can have contact with female fellows that in the past I avoided because they were triggering. Now I don't particularly feel triggered anymore.

So way to go for recovery!
HERMS, THAT IS AWESOME. Really, it is. Happy for you man. Glad you keep gaining insights and continue plugging away. Recovery from SLA is my greatest accomplishment. The toughest and the best thing I've ever done.

Question: What/how would you do now, faced with the same kinds of issues as a week ago? IOW, can you think of a plan/process that may have been helpful for you then? And could you use those ideas to help out in a future set of similar circumstances? Not asking you to answer me. Just food for thought for you, if it might be helpful.