ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-02-04, 09:07 PM

jimsmom is on a distinguished road
Question Newly Diagnosed ADHD 9year old

Hi all!

I am new to this site and also to having a diagnosed and medicated ADHD child. My son has been on Metadate CD for 2 weeks and any info anyone has would be appreciated. We have definitely seen some good change, but it is a little erratic. Of course, we started out low dose (10mg), but am not sure what to look for in correct dosages. Our son is pretty borderline, but really struggles which is why we put him on meds. He says he feels "calmer". This is pretty evident, but we have had some emotional blow ups this past week. Any advice??? Any other newly diagnosed?

Thanks to all,
jimsmom
Old 04-02-04, 10:25 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
Have the "blow ups" been in the evenings? If so, it may be a side effect of the medication, kind of a let-down when it wears off. Let the doctor know. I have definitely experienced this and am working on it these days. The fact that he states he feels calmer sounds like a good sign. Good luck and please let us know how it is going.
Old 04-02-04, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
yes and if it is a let down from the med wearing off to recognise it as such and see if you can deal with the issues that caused the blow up instead of adding more meds is a possible axction to look at

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-04, 11:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
That is what I am doing Garry. I really don't want to take any more medicine. It seems to be working better, but sometimes, I get sent to my room with my supper
Old 04-02-04, 11:12 PM

jimsmom is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. The thing is, it is hard to pinpoint the blowups really. I would say that the low dose meds are making a difference. Let me put it this way, he still gets frustrated but it takes more to get him there. But when he lets it out, I can tell he is really upset (verges on tears). Its like he doesn't understand. I've asked him if the meds make him feel different, etc. and he says no. This is still very new to us. We just want him to be his happiest. He has many gifts to offer, unfortunately we feel we are the only ones who see it.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 04-05-04, 02:49 PM

TeriandMatt is on a distinguished road
We adjusted my son's meds after one month

My son was seven when he was diagnosed with ADD. We started him out on a low does too. We increased the dosage after a month and had to increase the dosage again after six months. He has been stable and doing well now. He is on Medidate and it works really well for him.

The way I describe the difference for Matt is that he is able to slow himself down now. He is still the same child, with the same issues, but he can cope with them better now. He can stay more focused, he can control his talking, he doesn't act so silly. It's like the medication slowed him down enough so that he could be himself.
Old 04-05-04, 06:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Time really is necessary for the brain to get used to the drug. Most side effects from stimulants go away in 4 to 5 weeks. A bit of agressivness or anxiety from stimulants is not uncommon, but should wane. Once some time has passed and the side effects have stabalized, your Dr will likely tinker with the dose, etc to get the best response.
Old 04-23-04, 09:58 AM

Tonya is on a distinguished road
My 9 yr old has been on Adderall for a few weeks and he also experiences some emotional stuff close to the evening hours. He is often short tempered and may cry at the drop of a hat. He also seems a bit emotional and sensitive while at school but he keeps it in check. I think he is able to keep it in check becasue it would feel awful for him to cry at school. He also tells me that the meds keep him from playing with the kids on the playground. I am not sure what he means by that statement unless he is feeling some sort of anxiety.