ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 04-24-17, 10:24 AM

sarahowell12 is on a distinguished road
Does vyvanse cause stroke or Bell's palsy in healthy 18 year old females?

Hi, I started vyvanse alittle over 3 months ago. Towards the beginning everything was fine. However, recently I have noticed twitching in my lips, eye a cheek on the left side of my face. I cannot tell if it goes completely numb. I have also noticed vision changes and drowsiness. My blood pressure has actually gone down but not dangerously. I guess I'm alittle worried, I also suffer from anxiety which is why I am also on Strattera 40mg. I take vyvanse in the mornings and strattera in the evening when the vyvanse wears off. My main question though is does vyvanse cause stroke, Bell's palsy or heart attack etc. mainly any severe health problems in healthy 18 year old women?
Old 04-24-17, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,852 Times in 10,532 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does vyvanse cause stroke or Bell's palsy in healthy 18 year old females?

Allergies sometimes cause me to have twitches like that. I hate the feeling
when my eye twitches. Ugh.

One of the possible side effects of Vyvanse is "twitching, twisting, or
uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs."

from drugs.com. It can be very annoying, so check with the doctor.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sarahowell12 (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 11:16 AM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 17,285 Times in 8,386 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer:
I am not a medical doctor, but it sounds to me like what you're experiencing are relatively minor side effects and anxiety. Heart-related side effects are rare in people without pre-existing cardiovascular problems. Still, it would be good to speak with your doctor about them soon to rule out anything more serious and to see if they can be mitigated.

Long answer:
What was the reason for adding Vyvanse to the Strattera? Was the Strattera not helping (enough)?

Vyvanse can affect blood pressure and circulation, but rarely causes serious heart problems, especially in healthy adults with no history of heart or artery disease.

Although Strattera is not regulated like most stimulant medications, it can also have stimulant-like side effects (including anxiety, increased blood pressure, etc.).

Combining Strattera with a stimulant, like Vyvanse, can increase the chance of these side effects. Most stimulant side effects are bothersome, but not dangerous -- unless you do already have high blood pressure or heart disease.

You mentioned that your blood pressure is reduced slightly -- and assuming it was normal to begin with -- this is probably fine. Lower blood pressure is associated with reduced risk of stroke.

Similarly, if you consume caffeine (another stimulant), that can also increase the chances for bothersome side effects with Strattera or with Vyvanse. If you're a coffee or strong tea drinker, you may find that cutting back will reduce the twitchiness and other side effects.

Muscle twitches can also sometimes be related to inadequate sleep. (It goes without saying that drowsiness can also result from not enough sleep or from sleep disruption.) How's your sleep since starting these medications?

For someone with significant anxiety that's not caused only by the ADHD, it can sometimes be helpful to combine a stimulant with an SSRI (antidepressant) or another anti-anxiety medication, along with therapy to help manage the anxiety in non-pharmaceutical ways.

In any case, since you're experiencing several bothersome side effects -- drowsiness, twitchiness, etc. -- I'd recommend speaking with your doctor soon to see if changing the doses, timing, or medication could reduce these side effects (and the accompanying anxiety).

If you start experiencing symptoms of stroke, seek emergency help. But know that most side effects of stimulants are annoying, but not dangerous.

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-17), Fuzzy12 (05-17-17), sarahowell12 (04-24-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-17, 11:44 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the helpful response. Strattera wasn't working for my focus but it was helping anxiety. I guess I don't necessarily have anxiety issues unless something goes wrong with my health. I can manage non life threatening symptoms as long as I know whats going on. Towards the beginning of vyvanse treatment was the only time I had slightly elevated BP but it seems to constantly change. Some days it would be normal and some days it would not. What are the dangers of having high BP while taking vyvanse?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahowell12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 12:08 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahowell12 View Post
What are the dangers of having high BP while taking vyvanse?
The same as the dangers for high blood pressure generally.

The American Heart Association defines a "hypertensive crisis" (acute high blood pressure associated with potentially life-threatening problems) as 180/110 mmHg or higher. If your blood pressure spikes like that, seek emergency care ASAP, and work with your doctor to find a medication regimen that doesn't do that to you.

Less extreme elevations in blood pressure can add up over many years to cause problems, too, but if your BP is only mildly elevated (and sometimes is normal or below), then you're less likely to experience problems.

Remember that untreated ADHD is also associated with health (and educational, and social, and occupational, and relationship, and driving) problems as you weigh the risks/benefits of medications.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
sarahowell12 (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 01:46 PM

As for the stroke part. You said that it wouldnt be very likey for 20 mg of vyvanse to cause something like that in a healthy individual?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahowell12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-24-17)
Old 04-24-17, 03:30 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
As for the stroke part. You said that it wouldnt be very likey for 20 mg of vyvanse to cause something like that in a healthy individual?
Correct.

It's extremely unlikely that an otherwise healthy young adult, with no underlying cardiovascular disease, using medication as prescribed, would have a stroke as a result of taking a 20mg dose of Vyvanse.

People with pre-existing cardiovascular disease, and people who abuse the medication by taking higher-than-prescribed doses without medical supervision, are at greater risk. The risk to people with pre-existing cardiovascular disease can be reduced by giving a thorough physical (including EKG or other tests, if needed) prior to prescribing the medication, managing the underlying cardiovascular disease with medication and/or changes to diet and exercise levels as appropriate, and monitoring closely for side effects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-24-17), Fuzzy12 (05-17-17)
Old 04-27-17, 07:17 PM

So even if I don't have pre-existing heart related problems.is it still dangerous for my heart rate to get up to 136? It usually stays around 80 to 98 resting but when I walk somewhere or sit after walking it gets up in the 130s.
Old 04-27-17, 07:45 PM

So my heart rate is alittle elevated. Resting it is 80 to 98 bpm and walking or sitting down after walking it is 105 to 137 bpm. Is this dangerous at all even if my blood pressure is normal?
Old 04-27-17, 08:39 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Quote:
So my heart rate is alittle elevated. Resting it is 80 to 98 bpm and walking or sitting down after walking it is 105 to 137 bpm. Is this dangerous at all even if my blood pressure is normal?
It sounds perfectly normal. Your heart rate is supposed to increase when you exercise, and then it takes a while to return to its resting rate. (How long depends on things like your overall fitness, how hard you were exercising, what you do afterwards, etc.)

Here are some heart rate guidelines from the American Heart Association. For a healthy 20-year-old, they claim that a "normal" resting heart rate is between 60-100 beats/minute (and you're in that range), and that a target range for aerobic exercise, representing 50-80% of maximum capacity, is 100-170 beats/minute (and you're in that range, too, during/after walking).
Old 04-27-17, 09:36 PM

Thankyou for the responses. I'm fairly new to stimulants so there's not much prior knowledge. I appreciate the help!
Old 04-27-17, 09:45 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

You're welcome!

It can be scary / uncomfortable to start a new medication, and it can be helpful and reassuring to talk to people who've been through it before.
Old 05-16-17, 10:53 PM

I have a new question, what about weight gain? I don't necessarily take vyvanse to lose weight. Out of curiosity though, at what period do you begin to gain the weight you initially lost back?
Old 05-16-17, 11:39 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,714 Times in 8,880 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

You likely won't even lose any weight, unless you're trying to.

This general type of drug has been tried as a help with weight loss, but they gave up on it because the results were poor.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Old 05-17-17, 02:50 AM

I did lose about 10 lbs on it but I'm still pretty healthy. I'm not too keen on the idea of gaining it back.