ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-18-17, 12:49 PM
Jr Member

goldsprinkles is on a distinguished road
Just turned 30 and finally saw a Psychologist...

I've never really suspected or thought that I may have ADHD until a few months ago. Since I was a child, school was very rough for me because I was never able to complete assignments. I barely graduated high school and college was almost unbearable. I always thought I was unmotivated, lacked drive, and was SUPER LAZY. And I would get really depressed because I had all these goals and plans, but NEVER followed through. I started so many projects and NEVER finished.

I could go on and on and on about my symptoms, but I'm sure you've read them many times Anyway! I thought for my 30th birthday, I would finally see a Psychologist and see if I have ADHD or not.

I went in for my first appointment and did a general evaluation. I go in next week for testing. I'M SO SCARED & NERVOUS! Wish me luck!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldsprinkles For This Useful Post:
someothertime (05-25-17), ToneTone (05-18-17)
Old 05-18-17, 02:24 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 20,403 Times in 11,940 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just turned 30 and finally saw a Psychologist...

Good luck, goldsprinkles
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
goldsprinkles (05-19-17)
Old 05-19-17, 04:22 AM

Pihlaja is on a distinguished road

Good luck! I'm thinking about getting diagnosed too but have yet to even make an appointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pihlaja For This Useful Post:
goldsprinkles (05-19-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-17, 04:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,477 Times in 13,382 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsprinkles View Post
I've never really suspected or thought that I may have ADHD until a few months ago. Since I was a child, school was very rough for me because I was never able to complete assignments. I barely graduated high school and college was almost unbearable. I always thought I was unmotivated, lacked drive, and was SUPER LAZY. And I would get really depressed because I had all these goals and plans, but NEVER followed through. I started so many projects and NEVER finished.

I could go on and on and on about my symptoms, but I'm sure you've read them many times Anyway! I thought for my 30th birthday, I would finally see a Psychologist and see if I have ADHD or not.

I went in for my first appointment and did a general evaluation. I go in next week for testing. I'M SO SCARED & NERVOUS! Wish me luck!!

What kind of testing and what for? Does your insurance cover it?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 05-19-17, 11:44 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What kind of testing and what for? Does your insurance cover it?
Well first, I sought after a Psychiatric APRN and made an appointment with my concerns of possible ADHD. (Insurance does not generally cover this and the out of pocket cost would be around $200) However, she told me that she wouldn't be able to diagnose and/or discuss treatment with me until I have a neuropsychological test done for ADHD.

I called a few places up, and prices vary. A full neuropsych exam is around $3,000. I e-mailed the APRN and asked if she knew of any other places I could get evaluated and I called up the place she recommended - Thank Goodness! Because each visit is around $100 out of pocket (I have a high deductible which hasn't been met so I would have to pay the out of pocket costs) and the cost includes the tests.

My first appointment was more of an introductory evaluation. The psychologist asked me general questions about my past, family, etc. Then there was an evaluation to rule out any learning disabilities and/or cognitivie difficulties. (I'm guessing) and then she gave me a Likert-scale survey with 100 questions.

My next appointment will be most likely discussing the results of that survey and then doing another survey or test of some sort. I'll let you know!
Old 05-19-17, 11:45 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pihlaja View Post
Good luck! I'm thinking about getting diagnosed too but have yet to even make an appointment.
I've been holding off making my appointment too - but I finally did it and I'm really glad I did. Best of luck!!! (and keep me posted if you can!)
Old 05-20-17, 03:24 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,477 Times in 13,382 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsprinkles View Post
Well first, I sought after a Psychiatric APRN and made an appointment with my concerns of possible ADHD. (Insurance does not generally cover this and the out of pocket cost would be around $200) However, she told me that she wouldn't be able to diagnose and/or discuss treatment with me until I have a neuropsychological test done for ADHD.

I called a few places up, and prices vary. A full neuropsych exam is around $3,000. I e-mailed the APRN and asked if she knew of any other places I could get evaluated and I called up the place she recommended - Thank Goodness! Because each visit is around $100 out of pocket (I have a high deductible which hasn't been met so I would have to pay the out of pocket costs) and the cost includes the tests.

My first appointment was more of an introductory evaluation. The psychologist asked me general questions about my past, fa`mily, etc. Then there was an evaluation to rule out any learning disabilities and/or cognitivie difficulties. (I'm guessing) and then she gave me a Likert-scale survey with 100 questions.

My next appointment will be most likely discussing the results of that survey and then doing another survey or test of some sort. I'll let you know!
The reason I asked is because there are no tests for adhd. There are tests for other things and ruling out these things is always a good thing, but specifically testing for adhd?
The costs always make me suspicious. The cost can be ridiculously high and you are right, most insurances do not pay for it which leaves the "requirement" of testing the patient's responsibility. The patient is usually desperate because their lives are out of control so many will try anything to get the testing done. This also makes me wonder because someone is always making out on this. The referral somewhere makes me think doctors "work" together in a collusion type of way and its taking advantage of the patient who wants a shot at life.
Since there are no tests for adhd, there shouldnt be requirements for any testing. ADHD is diagnosed by taking a thorough history, talking about symptoms and impairments both current and past, and sometimes forms or scales and old school reports.

I just feel bad for people that are told they need to wait for this testing and then its three months off. And there are always the places that can 'squeeze' you in for money.
I guess the lack of transparency really irks me.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ItsaRose (05-31-17), Little Missy (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 09:27 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The reason I asked is because there are no tests for adhd. There are tests for other things and ruling out these things is always a good thing, but specifically testing for adhd?
The costs always make me suspicious. The cost can be ridiculously high and you are right, most insurances do not pay for it which leaves the "requirement" of testing the patient's responsibility. The patient is usually desperate because their lives are out of control so many will try anything to get the testing done. This also makes me wonder because someone is always making out on this. The referral somewhere makes me think doctors "work" together in a collusion type of way and its taking advantage of the patient who wants a shot at life.
Since there are no tests for adhd, there shouldnt be requirements for any testing. ADHD is diagnosed by taking a thorough history, talking about symptoms and impairments both current and past, and sometimes forms or scales and old school reports.

I just feel bad for people that are told they need to wait for this testing and then its three months off. And there are always the places that can 'squeeze' you in for money.
I guess the lack of transparency really irks me.
Hey SarahSweets, WOW! Thanks so much for the insight. I had no clue. I'm not sure if they ever used the specific word "test" or if that's what I kept calling it to them. But that's really good to know. I'll keep you posted on my next appointment! I hope I'm not being taken advantage of
Old 05-20-17, 07:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your assessment and treatment.

If you need a second opinion, try to find a more competent psychiatrist. ADHD is a medical condition within the specialty of psychiatry; a psychiatrist should be able to diagnose it. (A psychologist is not a medical doctor. Technically any mental health professionals are allowed to diagnose psychiatric conditions, but I think in that case, most decent psychiatrists would want to re-diagnose you themselves before providing treatment, because it makes no sense to give medical treatment based on the opinion of someone who's not a medical doctor.) You could also just go to a general practitioner, but it can be hard to find someone knowledgeable enough.
Old 05-24-17, 08:20 PM
Jr Member

I went for my second appointment today and did a cognitive test. There were word problems, math questions, fill in the blank questions, and a lot of finding patterns and sequence with pictures/drawings.

My next visit will be a computer test.

I asked her how many more tests after the computer test, and she said there may be 1-2 more. Then she will give me a copy of the report and go over my results with me.

Then I plan to take these results and go to a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse to discuss treatment if needed.

Does anyone know what the computer test is like? I'm nervous
Old 05-25-17, 02:01 AM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,991 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything! I find knowing about test makes me more nervous
~ SB_UK ~