ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-04-14, 01:21 AM

SpaceRaaanger is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Adderall stack combo? magnesium ect.

Ive been taking adderall both IR (barr) and XR ( Shire) for a 3-4 months now. I have inattentive ADD and these medications dont work as good. So i am looking for other vitamins/supplements to aid in the adderall effectiveness.
Heres what ive come to find and i need others opinions and personal experiences.

Tum
Multi vitamins
Fish oil
Vitamin b6(anxiety)

Tyrosine(adderall effectiveness)
Magnesium citrate

Memantine(namenda)

Now the supplements listed under (1) goes with the adderall regardless. Then if i could get (3) namenda then id be using (1) & (2) on a weekly basis disregarding (2) because (3) namenda replaces the two supplements listed under (2).
Hopefully you guys understood that. I just want my adderall to work effectively, cause usually i have a bit of concentration and motivation but not enough and i dont really want to up my dosages.
10mg Xr
5mg Ir
So if you guys can elaborate on these combos for me
Id much appreciate it.. thanks!!
Old 04-04-14, 04:42 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,028 Times in 14,218 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall stack combo? magnesium ect.

Well I know there are a lot of people that like to use a combo of vitamins etc to help their meds, but I havent read too many reliable studies indicating that they do much of anything. When ever I have had inconsistency with my meds it is usually a dose related issue. The tums thing reminds me of what I have read on pro-drug forums, not saying that you, just thats what I have seen. If you meds dont work the way they should your best bet is to see a doctor and talk about it. I am not anti vitamins BTW I take a sh*t load but I take them under a doctors supervision because I have some nutrient deficiencies.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-04-14)
Old 04-04-14, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Well I know there are a lot of people that like to use a combo of vitamins etc to help their meds, but I havent read too many reliable studies indicating that they do much of anything. When ever I have had inconsistency with my meds it is usually a dose related issue. The tums thing reminds me of what I have read on pro-drug forums, not saying that you, just thats what I have seen. If you meds dont work the way they should your best bet is to see a doctor and talk about it. I am not anti vitamins BTW I take a sh*t load but I take them under a doctors supervision because I have some nutrient deficiencies.

Hey, could you explain more about what you mean with the tums? Also, do you think that nutrient deficiency causes adderall to be less effective and stronger on the side effects?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 11:27 PM

axander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRaaanger View Post
Hey, could you explain more about what you mean with the tums? Also, do you think that nutrient deficiency causes adderall to be less effective and stronger on the side effects?
I'm not sarahsweets, but what she was talking about vis the tums is that generally people who use tums/bicarb/other alkalizing agents are trying to potentiate Adderall to make a non-therapeutic amount last longer. Also grapefruit juice and piperine (the active ingredient in black pepper) inhibit CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 enzymes which metabolise Adderall, meaning more Adderall will get into your brain. Generally it's not something you should mention to your doctor and not something doctors will tell their patients.

As far as nutrient deficiency etc, the short answer is yes, and the long as answer is that any bad effects caused by a poor diet, poor exercise habits - or anything that you can improve on - all of those effects will be exacerbated by anything that causes those same effects. And nutrient deficiency can often lead to most of the same problems ADHD presents with, such as brain fog or comorbidities like depression, so not fixing your diet/exercise habits is asking for a bad time in the first place, whether or not you're taking any supplements or medication.

I know it's hard to exercise, and forcing yourself to do it could be bad, and I know fixing your diet is even harder, but it pays off in the end if you do it right. The last time I was forced to exercise a lot after a long sedentary period, I experienced psychosis, probably due to a combination of acetylcholine deficiency and hyperdopaminergia, so don't do more exercise than you can handle if the Adderall is fresh in your system (since it's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and exercise releases dopamine, and eating lean meats like chicken, which people often do when they start exercising more, releases tryptophan, which is metabolised into 5-hydroxy-tryptophan, AKA serotonin). Just start slow, with exercise start with light cardio with a heart rate monitor and try lifting weights if cardio is too taxing on your heart rate, and with your diet just make gradual changes to include more nutrients and reduce your intake of empty calories or substances with ill effects, like sugar or fruit drinks.
The Following User Says Thank You to axander For This Useful Post:
stevepmd (04-07-14)
Old 04-04-14, 11:55 PM

axander is on a distinguished road

Oops, I made a mistake in that last post... it's not tryptophan that meats contain, it's tyramine, a dopamine precursor. No idea why I wrote tryptophan. Maybe someday the local pharmacies will actually have Adderall in stock and I can go fill my two week old prescription. Maybe.
Old 04-05-14, 08:01 AM
ADDvanced Member

Matt329 will become famous soon enough

From my experience once you've hit a certain tolerance wall to these medications there is nothing you can do but take long drug holidays. Try to reset your brain back to normal. I've been in your shoes and honestly if you're looking at all these things to desperately get that effectiveness back, well they work. But not for long.

MAG is not a strong enough NMDA receptor antagonist to lower your tolerance. If you're lucky you can use these supplements to prevent your tolerance from going up.

L-Tyrosine hours before your normal dose can in my experiences really bring the effectiveness back out of these meds. That's just me though.

DXM is high doses can drastically decrease tolerance, but by no means is it worth the health risks.

Good luck
Old 04-05-14, 01:55 PM

Hey thanks for the replies everyone
It seems like the best bet is to workout and eat healthy while taking such vitamins. At the least is sounds like it will prevent the rapid speed of amphetamine tolerance all while it consistently stays effect.
@axander ill admit ive been a lazy slog this past winter and maybe thats why the adderall doesnt seem as good but the reminder that it pays off will help. Yay
Old 04-06-14, 07:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,028 Times in 14,218 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

axander got the tums thing explained well. And I agree that certain lacking certain nutrients can affect how well adderall works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRaaanger View Post

I carried a watermelon?