ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-12, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,126 Posts
phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future
Can you TELL a joke without messing it up?

I swear evertime i hear a joke and then retell it, I butcher the punchline.

I just read a joke to my husband and ruined the punchline even though I read the words verbatim. Good grief almighty!

I get so anxious for them to get the punchline..

Curious if anyone else has this problem.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to phantasm For This Useful Post:
Slo-mo a-go-go (08-16-12)
Old 08-15-12, 11:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jynical has a spectacular aura aboutJynical has a spectacular aura about
Re: Can you TELL a joke without messing it up?

I was thinking about this the other day... I told a joke and completely switched things around...

I'm usually good with jokes. But I was trying so hard to say what I had to say. lol

Major Duh moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jynical For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 12:30 AM

phantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant futurephantasm has a brilliant future

I switch it around too. I say what I'm thinking, but not the correct part of the joke. Hopeless mess!

Or I will laugh so hard before I can finish telling the joke and it drives people nuts.

I wonder if it's a function of ADHD, or that I need to face the fact I can't tell a good joke if my life depended on it.

There are no limits to what you can accomplish when you are suppose to be doing something else.
Jynical (08-16-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-12, 01:54 AM

Thanked 21,934 Times in 7,992 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I do screw them up
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 05:08 AM

Thanked 30,132 Times in 13,884 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, never

I've got no comic timing, I mess up the order, forget the punchline or the context. I'm also too eager to get to the punchline so I stumble over the preamble. And if it's seriously funny, I usually start laughing uncontrollable before I can complete the joke.

I'm horrible with telling funny (real) stories as well. I usually make my husband tell them

I'm better with one-liners.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-17-12), phantasm (08-16-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 07:41 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

i totally don't succeed in the joke telling arena unless it's something i make up...

i start to overthink the joke while i'm telling it and find it now longer very funny because i know the punchline so there's nothing funny about it anymore..

but i am highly enteraining person at parties --- often to my complete surprise, since i'm so solitary in my normal day2day life. when i realise how many people are now being entertained by me, i get quite flustered and then crash and burn, but it's great while it lasts!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slo-mo a-go-go For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 08:02 PM
mod of many colors

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,578 Posts
pooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond reputepooka has a reputation beyond repute

Retelling jokes, I'm awful at - my delivery is just terrible. I tell it too slowly, and forget parts, and then after I've told it I'm laughing hysterically but everybody else is looking at me blankly and going, "Yeah, I've heard that one already..."
But making witty remarks on the spot and out of my own brain, I'm not too bad at, if I do say so myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pooka For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-16-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 09:07 PM

Now I make a good witty remark on the fly too. Interesting!

And Slomoagogo - I get attention at partys too then want to run and hide when I realize everyone is looking at me. I'm like, wth??

I use to want to be an Ad Executive, because I thought of the funniest one-liners and I thought it would be fun to create funny commercials. But, unfortunatly, I only think well when i'm not pressured. And that type of job is full of pressure, I imagine. A girl can dream...

Anywho..

Slo-mo a-go-go (08-16-12)
Old 08-16-12, 09:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Zevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud ofZevispaz has much to be proud of

I stick with smartass remarks with my humor. Tends to be more topical to the situation at hand anyway.
Old 08-16-12, 10:17 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

phantasm- you relate‽! yeah, it's such a wacky feeling---- to socially go from happy, yacking-it-up & boisterous to shaking-in-your-boots/ stage-fright/ self-awareness, wtf indeed!

phantasm- it's so crazy, you wanting to be an ad executive! me too!
i went to college for advertising bc i've the artistic thang with the ubėr tag-line abilities! (but no ability to get work done by myself☹)
The Following User Says Thank You to Slo-mo a-go-go For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-18-12)
Old 08-17-12, 04:23 PM

faye64 has a spectacular aura aboutfaye64 has a spectacular aura about

I definitely don't have the funny gene. I try to repeat jokes that I've heard which I think are funny. Somehow, even if I say them correctly, they don't come out funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to faye64 For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-18-12)
Old 08-17-12, 04:30 PM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light

There are people who tell jokes, and people who don't.

I don't.

Lx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lisa_Mac For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-18-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 04:40 PM

jhank26 has a spectacular aura aboutjhank26 has a spectacular aura about

Anyone else able to say it in their head, and then butcher it comes out?

I can tell ghost stories to scare the heck out of my friends kids well (or at least it seems like I do) because I can re-work a part of the story to fit in logically. With a joke I have to be exact line for line, and I always have to add 1/2 way through "oh, wait, I forgot a part".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhank26 For This Useful Post:
phantasm (08-18-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 07:05 PM
Contributor

hanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to beholdhanikamiya is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
Or I will laugh so hard before I can finish telling the joke and it drives people nuts.
That. I tend to chuckle and giggle just before coming to the punchline.
So I stopped telling jokes.

... though, there was this one: A Catholic priest, a rapist and a pedophile walk into a bar. He orders a beer.

That's just short enough for me to manage.
Lee1975 (03-31-16), phantasm (08-18-12), plank80 (08-17-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (08-17-12)
Old 08-17-12, 08:41 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhank26 View Post
and I always have to add 1/2 way through "oh, wait, I forgot a part".
HAR-HAR-laffitty-laff

that's a great punchline!!