ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-15, 11:54 PM
lmg2474's Avatar
lmg2474 lmg2474 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 101
Thanks: 56
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice
Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Sooo I've seen a trend on the internet recently and I'm not quite sure how to take it.

I've seen a bunch of websites/articles/blogs that are in favor of treating the presence of ADD as a personality "quirk" or "characteristic" as opposed to an actual mental disorder. Most sources back this viewpoint by pointing out that highly creative individuals with vivid imaginations, numerous interests, and highly abstract thought processing are often mistakenly labeled as having a mental disorder (ADD). A consistent pattern I've noticed throughout all of the sources associated with this type of stance is their admiration of such individuals who have the aforementioned characteristics and their utter distaste with the idea that it should be viewed as a mental disorder - a distaste so strong, in fact, that some sources even refuse to acknowledge the actual existence of ADD.

While I appreciate the gestures put forth by these sources, I can't help but consider the more negative implications surrounding their essential viewpoint.

First, viewing such individuals with said characteristics - a majority of whom are clinically diagnosed with ADD - as highly gifted people, whose creative talents stem from their "extraordinary" personalities as opposed to the negative and sometimes even humiliating label of a mental disorder essentially implicates that it is somehow, in some way, a choice to be this way - this is because personalities are never permanently fixed; an example could be an individual with a behavioral problem or anger management issues who learns to change their behavior over time by choice (such change in behavior is, then, voluntary).

Moreover, in using the type of logic presented by the viewpoint mentioned above, one could essentially posit that if such characteristics were a product of the personality rather than the biological structure of the brain, the behavior associated with this type of "personality" would naturally be changeable.

So, logically, one could then control the intensity (severity?) and extent to which such personality traits were displayed. Along these lines, one would think that the more negative personality traits associated with the overall personality type mentioned above - the inability to stay on task, habitual daydreaming, vivid (more like overwhelmingly invasive!!) thoughts - would be able to be consciously and voluntarily controlled by the use of one's own mental willpower.

Yet, that is not the case. These "personality traits" are NOT voluntary actions in which individuals can freely manipulate to their advantage. They are simply not able to be handled properly, resulting in the severe impairment one experiences in numerous aspects of life.

Thus, the presence of ADD should not ever be masked by the presence of a unique and gifted personality; the two are often combined to an extent but not at all interchangeable. Such thinking essentially instills the belief in oneself and others that ADD does not exist, thus further adding to the issue of society not holding the presence of ADD up to the same standards as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc; in fact, it deletes ADD from that realm of existence altogether. By believing that ADD is instead a personality type, numerous false and degrading assumptions can be fairly made by all members of society which only serves to alienate those who legitimately suffer from the condition. A majority of the sources in support of such a viewpoint that I came across are also vehemently against any type of prescription medication generally used to treat ADD.

So yeah, people on the webosphere who agree with this viewpoint, I must say this: while I appreciate the effort, you are doing much more harm than you could ever think. While your intentions are pure, I would urge you to rethink your views and conduct some further research on the issue before writing it off as a personality type rather than an actual mental disorder.

What are everyone's thoughts regarding this issue??? I apologize for the novel, but I was on a roll. Kudos to whoever reads this whole thing.
__________________
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need ~
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-15-15), Corina86 (01-15-15), Flory (01-15-15), Fuzzy12 (01-15-15), mctavish23 (01-18-15), namazu (01-15-15), sarahsweets (01-15-15), Stevuke79 (01-15-15)
  #2  
Old 01-15-15, 12:53 AM
Stevuke79's Avatar
Stevuke79 Stevuke79 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,750
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 9,602
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,792 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

I think there is a trend to say that ADHD is a gift of sorts. Obviously that's not true. The diagnosis is defined as a pathology that necessarily impairs your life in multiple ways. It's an impairment by definition - if you aren't impaired you don't have ADHD. There is a well established myth that these impairments are accompanied by things like high intelligence and creativity, but that's not true. (The nugget of truth is that the instance of genius intelligence among those with ASD is 10% versus 5% in the general population.)

But like many things, it might be possible for some people to find situations where they can work around their ADHD to some extent. For instance I have a job that requires me to think independently and creatively and to invent ways to add value. I have little structure,.. Nothing specific is ever required unless I put it in a contract with someone. I just have to create and find value and get someone to pay for it. ADHD doesn't help me do that - the skills that I have to do this are independent of ADHD. Still, I think in my sort of role ADHD gets in the way a little less than if I were a surgeon or a stenographer for instance. If you're a stenographer and the ADHD kicks in, you've literally stopped doing your job. When my ADHD kicks in, it doesn't take me that far off task.

I don't think you can "leverage" your ADHD. But like depression, and perhaps more so than depression, I think some people might be able to find things where there ADHD won't hinder them as much.
__________________

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
burger (01-15-15), Carol (01-19-15), Fuzzy12 (01-15-15), Greyhound1 (01-15-15), lmg2474 (01-15-15), mctavish23 (01-18-15), meadd823 (01-16-15), SirSchmidt (01-15-15), tinybike (01-16-15)
  #3  
Old 01-15-15, 09:37 AM
KarmanMonkey KarmanMonkey is offline
Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kitchener, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,392
Thanks: 188
Thanked 2,215 Times in 994 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

I think it all comes back to the impact it has on life. If we lived in a culture where 80% of the people had ADD, I don't think it would be a disorder, because society would shape itself around us, not the other way around.

In the culture we live in, however, it is definitely a disorder, as it's a fundimental difference in our capabilities that makes it difficult for us to function. Calling it a personality trait is a way for some to dismiss that we do not choose to have these qualities. These qualities have a physiological basis, can be treated with medication, and cause us to experience great challenges and barriers to success compared to our NT bretheren. THAT makes it a disorder.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-15-15), Carol (01-19-15), finallyfound10 (01-15-15), lmg2474 (01-15-15), Lunacie (01-15-15), Pilgrim (01-16-15)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 01-15-15, 12:45 PM
lmg2474's Avatar
lmg2474 lmg2474 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 101
Thanks: 56
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuke79 View Post
I think there is a trend to say that ADHD is a gift of sorts. Obviously that's not true. The diagnosis is defined as a pathology that necessarily impairs your life in multiple ways. It's an impairment by definition - if you aren't impaired you don't have ADHD. There is a well established myth that these impairments are accompanied by things like high intelligence and creativity, but that's not true. (The nugget of truth is that the instance of genius intelligence among those with ASD is 10% versus 5% in the general population.)

But like many things, it might be possible for some people to find situations where they can work around their ADHD to some extent. For instance I have a job that requires me to think independently and creatively and to invent ways to add value. I have little structure,.. Nothing specific is ever required unless I put it in a contract with someone. I just have to create and find value and get someone to pay for it. ADHD doesn't help me do that - the skills that I have to do this are independent of ADHD. Still, I think in my sort of role ADHD gets in the way a little less than if I were a surgeon or a stenographer for instance. If you're a stenographer and the ADHD kicks in, you've literally stopped doing your job. When my ADHD kicks in, it doesn't take me that far off task.

I don't think you can "leverage" your ADHD. But like depression, and perhaps more so than depression, I think some people might be able to find things where there ADHD won't hinder them as much.

So very true. I think that creativity is so strongly linked to ADD/ADHD because of the fact that we do think in a more divergent (non-linear/abstract) way which is in and of itself creative. And, since ADDers tend to have a harder time thinking in a convergent (concrete/logical/linear) manner, it becomes almost necessary to seek alternative ways to live our lives in a productive way, such as, for example, like you said, jobs that provide greater flexibility/personal freedom and less structure. My career is great for me and my personal needs, as it allows me to walk around (instead of sitting down all day), interact with people, and do different tasks throughout the day so that I am not repeating the same monotonous things all day. I could never work in an office-type environment where completing medial and detail-oriented tasks are necessary if you want to keep the job. My mom, who is non-ADD, however, kicks tail at doing the things I just mentioned since she is super organized, focused, and detail-oriented.

Each person is different in how they handle different work environments; however, I think it is safe to say that most people who have ADD/ADHD need minimal structure, maximal personal freedom, and overall greater leeway in how they do their job.

But yes, back to the topic at hand (I always get off track) - I think it's important for people to realize that while ADD/ADHD usually necessitates creative thinking, it is still an impairment that affects numerous important aspects of every-day life, so it should be treated as what it really is: a disorder.
__________________
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need ~
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-15-15), Lunacie (01-15-15), Stevuke79 (01-15-15)
  #5  
Old 01-15-15, 12:53 PM
lmg2474's Avatar
lmg2474 lmg2474 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 101
Thanks: 56
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmanMonkey View Post
I think it all comes back to the impact it has on life. If we lived in a culture where 80% of the people had ADD, I don't think it would be a disorder, because society would shape itself around us, not the other way around.

In the culture we live in, however, it is definitely a disorder, as it's a fundimental difference in our capabilities that makes it difficult for us to function. Calling it a personality trait is a way for some to dismiss that we do not choose to have these qualities. These qualities have a physiological basis, can be treated with medication, and cause us to experience great challenges and barriers to success compared to our NT bretheren. THAT makes it a disorder.
I couldn't agree more. That really is the most important thing to remember when attempting to place labels on ADD/ADHD. And you're right, if ADD/ADHD was considered the societal/cultural norm, it would be considered as such, making it difficult for anyone to think of it as a disorder.

I love love love the way you put it. I just wish people could realize this.

Not trying to be stereotypical, but the sources I found that support the viewpoint that ADD is a personality trait rather than a disorder are almost all the "New Age" types of websites. I read one article online where a mother of a child who OBVIOUSLY HAS ADD/ADHD was emphasizing this illogical viewpoint in order to justify her utter opposition to medicating her child.

I know that people who support "natural-remedy" type treatments instead of prescription medication do so with good intentions, but it could be seriously detrimental to their child/children if they have ADD/ADHD and are not able to be given the opportunity to be properly treated.
__________________
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need ~
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (01-15-15)
  #6  
Old 01-15-15, 02:08 PM
TurtleBrain's Avatar
TurtleBrain TurtleBrain is offline
Minecraft Mod-rater
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northeastern United States
Posts: 1,050
Thanks: 196
Thanked 1,347 Times in 708 Posts
TurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to all
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg2474 View Post
Not trying to be stereotypical, but the sources I found that support the viewpoint that ADD is a personality trait rather than a disorder are almost all the "New Age" types of websites.
I know right? I remember hearing some new agey mumbo jumbo that referred to adhd kids as indigo children and they speak of them as being more spiritually "evolved", which is just another fancy was of saying it's a gift. That's like saying that getting drunk gives you ESP...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurtleBrain For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-15-15)
  #7  
Old 01-15-15, 04:53 PM
lmg2474's Avatar
lmg2474 lmg2474 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 101
Thanks: 56
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBrain View Post
I know right? I remember hearing some new agey mumbo jumbo that referred to adhd kids as indigo children and they speak of them as being more spiritually "evolved", which is just another fancy was of saying it's a gift. That's like saying that getting drunk gives you ESP...
Hahaha. I'm not gonna lie, that made me laugh pretty hard. It is a pretty accurate portrayal of those types of people, though. I have nothing against anyone who is into that kind of lifestyle, but when it comes to mental disorders such as ADD/ADHD, they are entirely out of their league and really shouldn't have the right to make such ridiculous claims about it.

This isn't to say that I'm completely against what they're saying. I think ADD/ADHD is sort of a gift in a way since it forces you to think differently. But it is an impairment that isn't able to be controlled by any amount of willpower, and so thinking of it as a personality type is basically like saying it can be changed at will. But it can't - it disastrously impairs whoever has it.

I kind of feel like copying and pasting the link to this forum discussion onto each and every one of these websites. They need to know that those with ADD do not support their stance.
__________________
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need ~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-15, 05:16 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,628
Thanks: 19,176
Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg2474 View Post
Hahaha. I'm not gonna lie, that made me laugh pretty hard. It is a pretty accurate portrayal of those types of people, though. I have nothing against anyone who is into that kind of lifestyle, but when it comes to mental disorders such as ADD/ADHD, they are entirely out of their league and really shouldn't have the right to make such ridiculous claims about it.

This isn't to say that I'm completely against what they're saying. I think ADD/ADHD is sort of a gift in a way since it forces you to think differently. But it is an impairment that isn't able to be controlled by any amount of willpower, and so thinking of it as a personality type is basically like saying it can be changed at will. But it can't - it disastrously impairs whoever has it.

I kind of feel like copying and pasting the link to this forum discussion onto each and every one of these websites. They need to know that those with ADD do not support their stance.
PLEASE don't do that!

I appreciate why you think it would be a good idea, but it would just bring all
those narrow-minded maroons over here to argue with us.

If they came with an open mind, willing to learn what ADHD really is, that
would be wonderful. But they would be trying to convince US, arguing that
we're the ones who can't see the truth.

It's not that hard to find a forum like this, or any other place that shares real,
factual information about ADHD. If they want that, they will find it.

Instead share some of the videos about ADHD that have been posted around
our forum in the last day or two.



This thread has some really good videos:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168839
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-21-15), Corina86 (01-18-15), Flory (01-15-15), psychopathetic (01-15-15), SirSchmidt (01-15-15)
  #9  
Old 01-15-15, 06:11 PM
lmg2474's Avatar
lmg2474 lmg2474 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 101
Thanks: 56
Thanked 114 Times in 58 Posts
lmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nicelmg2474 is just really nice
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
PLEASE don't do that!

I appreciate why you think it would be a good idea, but it would just bring all
those narrow-minded maroons over here to argue with us.

If they came with an open mind, willing to learn what ADHD really is, that
would be wonderful. But they would be trying to convince US, arguing that
we're the ones who can't see the truth.

It's not that hard to find a forum like this, or any other place that shares real,
factual information about ADHD. If they want that, they will find it.

Instead share some of the videos about ADHD that have been posted around
our forum in the last day or two.



This thread has some really good videos:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168839
You're right. I was saying it out of spite more than anything. I just get fed up every now and then with people continuing to make ADD/ADHD something it isn't. I do believe reliable sources that provide factual information about the disorder would be a lot more helpful than attempting to start a war. Thank you for causing me to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
__________________
Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need ~
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lmg2474 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-15-15)
  #10  
Old 01-15-15, 06:16 PM
Stevuke79's Avatar
Stevuke79 Stevuke79 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,750
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 9,602
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,792 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmg2474 View Post
So very true. I think that creativity is so strongly linked to ADD/ADHD because of the fact that we do think in a more divergent (non-linear/abstract) way which is in and of itself creative.
This is just a theory of mine and I could very well be completely wrong and ridiculous, but I wonder if the reason ADHD is associated with creativity could have to do with the fact that either:

1. You have to be more creative to function with a working memory disorder.
So the more successful ADHD'ers, and therefore the ones more likely to be diagnosed as such, are likely to be the more creative ADHD'ers.

2. Functioning with ADHD requires constant creativity. We always have to reduce problems and decipher things in less direct ways because of our disorder. So we have bigger "creativity muscles" because we work them more out of necessity.

My point either way is that an ADHD brain isn't inherently more creative, but parts of the disorder can be partially coped with through creativity. Therefore ADHD'ers will tend to be more creative. (The difference between #1 and #2 is just a chicken or egg kind of thing. Same idea - it's not actually inborn with ADHD)

Quote:
And, since ADDers tend to have a harder time thinking in a convergent (concrete/logical/linear) manner, it becomes almost necessary to seek alternative ways to live our lives in a productive way, such as, for example, like you said, jobs that provide greater flexibility/personal freedom and less structure. My career is great for me and my personal needs, as it allows me to walk around (instead of sitting down all day), interact with people, and do different tasks throughout the day so that I am not repeating the same monotonous things all day. I could never work in an office-type environment where completing medial and detail-oriented tasks are necessary if you want to keep the job. My mom, who is non-ADD, however, kicks tail at doing the things I just mentioned since she is super organized, focused, and detail-oriented.
Right. If I understand you, you're saying that ADHD forces you to learn to be creative. I think that's like my #2. ADHD gives you a lot of creativity practice.

Btw, what do you do? (sorry if you said it and I missed it)

Funny,.. I'm in a very "office type" profession,.. but I work from home all the time and an office is a constant disaster for me. Good for you finding something that works!

Quote:
Each person is different in how they handle different work environments; however, I think it is safe to say that most people who have ADD/ADHD need minimal structure, maximal personal freedom, and overall greater leeway in how they do their job.
That definitely works for me, but many with ADHD have found success by finding a greater degree of structure.
I know what you mean, and personally I see it your way. But I've been told that not everyone does. It's not obvious to me how structure helps with ADHD, but I sort of get it.

Quote:
But yes, back to the topic at hand (I always get off track) ..
Have you spoken to your pdoc about that?

Quote:
I think it's important for people to realize that while ADD/ADHD usually necessitates creative thinking, it is still an impairment that affects numerous important aspects of every-day life, so it should be treated as what it really is: a disorder.
Agreed. I like to use the analogy that blind people often have better hearing (the way that ADHD people can be creative) but blindness is still a disability. Conversely, if ADHD is partially a gift, then blindness is partially a gift.
__________________

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
burger (01-15-15), Greyhound1 (01-15-15)
  #11  
Old 01-15-15, 07:43 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 18,628
Thanks: 19,176
Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

I figure that because we forget what worked for us last time we have to be
creative and come up with something new all the time.

Which makes us look like we're creative types.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Flory (01-15-15), Greyhound1 (01-16-15), Stevuke79 (01-15-15)
  #12  
Old 01-15-15, 07:55 PM
finallyfound10's Avatar
finallyfound10 finallyfound10 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,600
Thanks: 1,426
Thanked 1,485 Times in 813 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Dr. Russell Barkley has serious issues with the creative ADHD slant and to hear him describe it, you will likely agree with him in that there is nothing positive about it in reality. http://www.russellbarkley.org/

We make lemonade from lemons, IMHO.

[QUOTEI think it all comes back to the impact it has on life. If we lived in a culture where 80% of the people had ADD, I don't think it would be a disorder, because society would shape itself around us, not the other way around.

In the culture we live in, however, it is definitely a disorder, as it's a fundimental difference in our capabilities that makes it difficult for us to function. Calling it a personality trait is a way for some to dismiss that we do not choose to have these qualities. These qualities have a physiological basis, can be treated with medication, and cause us to experience great challenges and barriers to success compared to our NT bretheren. THAT makes it a disorder.
[/quote]
I have often wondered that I were born in a different era or even just live in different culture now (not Western or East Asian, though) maybe more tribal, more social, more communal, not as fast paced. Something very different than how I live now.
__________________
ADHD-Inattentive, Adjustment Disorder w/Mixed Features of Anxiety and Depression, Dyscalculia (Math disability), Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria, Adult Child of an Alcoholic.
Strattera 100 mg, Wellbutrin 450 mg XL, Klonopin 0.5 mg as needed.
Brene Brown
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.


Last edited by finallyfound10; 01-15-15 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Stevuke79 (01-15-15)
  #13  
Old 01-15-15, 08:07 PM
Stevuke79's Avatar
Stevuke79 Stevuke79 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,750
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 9,602
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,792 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I figure that because we forget what worked for us last time we have to be
creative and come up with something new all the time.

Which makes us look like we're creative types.
Or maybe it forces you to practice being a creative type. Just a thought.. I'm spitballing,.. It's not all gonna be gold ..

(Forces you to practice being a creative type because you can't remember what happened last time... Just like blindness forces you to practice being a hearing type,.. Because you can't see...)
__________________

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-15-15), namazu (01-15-15)
  #14  
Old 01-15-15, 08:17 PM
SirSchmidt's Avatar
SirSchmidt SirSchmidt is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 265
Thanks: 308
Thanked 460 Times in 189 Posts
SirSchmidt is a jewel in the roughSirSchmidt is a jewel in the roughSirSchmidt is a jewel in the rough
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

ADHD does nothing positive for me and I doubt that many can truly make that claim.

I am much, much more creative, productive and brilliant after I take medication that reduces/eliminates my symptoms. I've achieved far more in the last year medicated than I have several years unmedicated.

There may be brilliant people with ADHD but it's the exception not the rule. For every brilliant ADHDer there are 1000 more that have trouble simply living day to day because of their disorder.

Stevuke79 is right. If the person doesn't have severe impairment in key areas of his/her life because of symptoms then there is no disorder. No impairment plus a few adhd symptoms does not equal ADHD.
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SirSchmidt For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-18-15), Flory (01-15-15), Gina (05-17-15), Greyhound1 (01-16-15), Lunacie (01-15-15), namazu (01-15-15), Pilgrim (01-16-15), psychopathetic (01-16-15), Stevuke79 (01-15-15), tinybike (01-16-15)
  #15  
Old 01-15-15, 08:33 PM
Stevuke79's Avatar
Stevuke79 Stevuke79 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,750
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 9,602
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,792 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Viewing ADD as a "personality trait" vs. a "mental disorder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSchmidt View Post
I am much, much more creative, productive and brilliant after I take medication that reduces/eliminates my symptoms.
Agreed. And same here.

Quote:
Stevuke79 is right.
Agreed. This is also an important rule of thumb in general.
Quote:
If the person doesn't have severe impairment in key areas of his/her life because of symptoms then there is no disorder. No impairment plus a few adhd symptoms does not equal ADHD.
That last sentence makes it really clear. Its such a key point on this topic.
__________________

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stevuke79 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-18-15), Gina (05-17-15), psychopathetic (01-16-15), SirSchmidt (01-15-15)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Ten ADD Traps in the Workplace-long post, print out Keppig Careers/Job Impact 29 04-09-17 01:21 PM
Does anyone really think they are a complete, helpless victim of ADD? My Life ADDs Up General ADD Talk 76 01-03-16 06:00 AM
Attention Deficit Disorder 101: What every beginner in ADD needs to know gabriela Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 85 07-29-15 03:51 PM
ADD - A Gift or A Curse? cracell General ADD Talk 113 11-10-14 08:51 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums