ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 05-20-17, 07:36 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Help me handle a difficult work situation

My new boss came from behind me and motioned to the screen shot of What about Bob and basically said not to have the screen up like that anymore. It made me a little uneasy, but I listened.

My work environment has drastically changed over the last several weeks, and I need help dealing with it. I spent the last three days off, faking a fever.

Some changes have been for the good. Others, have not been good. The changes that have impacted me the most are the negative ones. There's more pressure, more accountability and more attention to our sales group. I have a new boss and president of the company. I think they believe I'm goofing off while on my iPad.

I'm one of the best salesman and have made upper management realize that many people have been slacking. Because of this realization they've poured on the pressure, which has made the environment more strict. I'm an intense person already so this environment makes life easier.

I'm unsure of how to handle the changes. Should I complain to upper management? I think they like me and my old boss said that my opinion matters.

~Paulo Coelho

Last edited by anonymouslyadd; 05-20-17 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-21-17, 03:31 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help me handle a difficult work situation

Sometimes, the ability to internally say "Whatever" after the boss has left the room counts as a survival skill.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-21-17), finallyfound10 (05-21-17), Lunacie (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 04:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,441 Times in 14,021 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely don't get upper management involved in this. I mean if it's the Screenshot issue you want to talk about. Better let that go.

If any of the changes are unreasonable and hinder you from doing your job then that might be something you can consider taking to upper management though I'd first speak to your immediate boss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-21-17), Lunacie (05-21-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-17, 08:12 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Sometimes, the ability to internally say "Whatever" after the boss has left the room counts as a survival skill.
The screen shot was minor but on my mind when I wrote my OP.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 05-21-17, 08:13 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Definitely don't get upper management involved in this. I mean if it's the Screenshot issue you want to talk about. Better let that go.

If any of the changes are unreasonable and hinder you from doing your job then that might be something you can consider taking to upper management though I'd first speak to your immediate boss.
The screen shot is minor to the additional pressure of everything else. Why is this so hard for me to articulate?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 05-21-17, 08:14 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,968 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
The screen shot was minor but on my mind when I wrote my OP.
I meant "whatever" to a lot of things, not just that.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 08:17 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
I meant "whatever" to a lot of things, not just that.
I've always needed some sort of approval from others. How do you think like you're suggesting I think?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 05-21-17, 09:12 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

This part confuses me:

Quote:
I'm one of the best salesman and have made upper management realize that many people have been slacking. Because of this realization they've poured on the pressure, which has made the environment more strict. I'm an intense person already so this environment makes life easier.

I'm unsure of how to handle the changes. Should I complain to upper management? I think they like me and my old boss said that my opinion matters.
The bolded part makes it sound as if the changes were in part brought about by your outstanding work and makes your life easier so I'm not sure I'm understanding what changes you'll be complaining about to upper management.

Do you mean complain about the previously unearthed slackers who aren't meeting the new demands, or complain about the new demands? Are you feeling like they may think less of you because of the screenshot?

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-17, 09:18 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
This part confuses me:

The bolded part makes it sound as if the changes were in part brought about by your outstanding work and makes your life easier so I'm not sure I'm understanding what changes you'll be complaining about to upper management.

Do you mean complain about the previously unearthed slackers who aren't meeting the new demands, or complain about the new demands? Are you feeling like they may think less of you because of the screenshot?
I think the changes have come because of me. Our group has caught a lot of flack over the last few months because of what I've exposed. I don't know.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform and do well. I don't want or need people coming over my back and nitpicking things like a stupid screen shot.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:20 PM

Thanked 21,614 Times in 11,596 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Which screenshot was it?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-17, 09:29 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
I think the changes have come because of me. Our group has caught a lot of flack over the last few months because of what I've exposed. I don't know.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to perform and do well. I don't want or need people coming over my back and nitpicking things like a stupid screen shot.
Ahhh....sounds like an exhausted emotional reaction to an overload of what-ifness thinking combined with the overwhelming stress of the unknown that comes with huge changes like a major shift in management, especially when you got along so well with the previous one.

It's like going through the stages of grief, or at least that's how it's felt to me in the past, as it was indeed a huge loss and life as I previously knew it was over, for at least 40+ hours of each week.

I wouldn't take it to upper management. I'd take it to inner management and try to figure out what exactly is tripping your trigger and figure a healthy way to redirect your focus on the things that feel good again, while continuing to do the outstanding job you've been recognized for.

If you go to upper management and complain that you feel they are complaining about stupid s***, it likely won't leave a very favorable impression even if you are one of the best salesmen. Choose which cans of worms to open very carefully. Your opinion very much matters, but so does the delivery and timing of it.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-21-17), namazu (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:43 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Which screenshot was it?
I showed a coworker of mine a clip of What About Bob, and I still had the screen up on my desk. It was on an iPad, which I use to accomplish my work.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 05-21-17, 09:45 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I wouldn't take it to upper management. I'd take it to inner management and try to figure out what exactly is tripping your trigger and figure a healthy way to redirect your focus on the things that feel good again, while continuing to do the outstanding job you've been recognized for.

If you go to upper management and complain that you feel they are complaining about stupid s***, it likely won't leave a very favorable impression even if you are one of the best salesmen. Choose which cans of worms to open very carefully. Your opinion very much matters, but so does the delivery and timing of it.
OK, but we do have other issues. For two months now, I've been telling people about our referral program, which gives existing customers a $10 credit to their monthly bill for every new client they refer. It turns out that we don't have any processes in place to make this referral happen.

Now, what in the world am I going to tell my new customers and ones that are already waiting on a credit?

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
namazu (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:58 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
OK, but we do have other issues. For two months now, I've been telling people about our referral program, which gives existing customers a $10 credit to their monthly bill for every new client they refer. It turns out that we don't have any processes in place to make this referral happen.

Now, what in the world am I going to tell my new customers and ones that are already waiting on a credit?
I always vote for the truth, but many business owners frown upon that. lol

Who told you to offer it and why, especially if there's nothing in place to make it happen? That would be the first person I'd go to.

If it was your previous boss, then I'd go to their replacement and explain what's up.

That's a very legitimate concern as it directly effects the customers and could lose quite a few accounts if it ticks them off.

It's just plain bad business and needs to be addressed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-21-17), finallyfound10 (05-21-17), namazu (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:59 PM

Thanked 21,614 Times in 11,596 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I showed a coworker of mine a clip of What About Bob, and I still had the screen up on my desk. It was on an iPad, which I use to accomplish my work.
I understand that part. But which screenshot?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969