ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-23-09, 09:02 AM

FastForward will become famous soon enough
Diagnose : Any additional testing (besides questionnaire?)

Quick question : Did you have to do any additional testing besides questionnaires and/or interviews for you to be diagnosed with ADD ?
I'm talking about stuff like electro-encephalogram or any other tests ?

greets,

WB
Old 10-23-09, 12:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnose : Any additional testing (besides questionnaire?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Quick question : Did you have to do any additional testing besides questionnaires and/or interviews for you to be diagnosed with ADD ?
I'm talking about stuff like electro-encephalogram or any other tests ?

greets,

WB
Good question.

The current protocol for assessing for ADHD (at least for children) is:

1. An ADHD specific survey sent to the parents/caregivers and the teacher(s).

2. A diagnostic interview including a careful history of the child and the family.

3. Clinical observation by the clinician.

A similar method is used for adults.

That is it. There are no tests or scans that currently are effective in the diagnosis of ADHD in either adults or children.

Testing, however, can be of great value in discovering comorbid issues that occur with a great many of ADHD'ers.

You can find a good discussion on diagnostics in this transcript of a workshop by Russell Barkley. I would recommend reading it in any case to get an accurate science based background in ADHD.

Barkley is considered by most to be by far the top person in the field of ADHD. Many, including myself, consider this transcript to be the best write up on ADHD available on the internet. It is dated 2000 but most of the data is still basically pretty good. I do warn however that this is forty pages long and Barkley is information dense. It can be a bit of a struggle to work though but it is, in my opinion and in the opinion of many others, very much worth the effort. I am going to suggest you start with this overview and then download or read the article from there.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/showarticle/2054

The section on diagnosis begins on page 2.

I realize that this is a lot but if you are ADHD then it is a long term situation. You have time to read and learn. The most effective tool for working with the disorder is good information.

Good luck. I hope this helps a little.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-23-09), chiank (03-29-10), dogenthusiast90 (09-02-12)
Old 10-23-09, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I was diagnosed as an adult (age 31), so it may be a different experience than being diagnosed as a child.

My psychologist did a test that kind of reminded me of an IQ test. . .there were different phases. . .some of them included taking different shapes or colored pieces of cardboard and copying an image on a piece of paper. Or, it would be things like word association, definitions.

In addition to the "formal" test, part of each session was devoted to counseling/therapy where we talked about everyday stuff, work issues, and other ways that the suspected ADHD affected my life or things I experienced when I was younger that may have indicated ADHD.

Between the testing and the therapy/counseling, my doctor diagosed me as a "textbook" ADHD-Inattentive type.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-09, 07:38 PM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I was initially diagnosed in 1967 on the basis of discussion with my mother and EEG. The EEG was repeated in the early 70s when my parents changed health coverage. The earlier diagnosis was validated and medication continued until I was pronounced "cured".

I was diagnosed again as an adult through a series of tests that included just about everything under the sun. I believe that the goal at the time was to rule out any co-morbid condition. I recall one of them was computer based and designed to measure impulsivity. I passed. They also had doctors notes that dated back to 1967 that my mother had conserved and passed along to me. Very helpful, that. Along with that information, I was able to provide report cards and such. My pdoc at the time admitted to me that she didn't know much about ADHD but was willing to learn about it. She was easily the best pdoc I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 10-23-09, 09:49 PM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I was diagnosed during a ten minute session with a pychiatrist. I had to fill out a little multiple choice form (20 questions at most) with really leading statements like "i often figet or squirm during presentations and meetings" or "i find it difficult to follow through on projects."

I almost felt cheated by the process, since I do have adhd--any moron could "fake" his/her way into a diagnosis at that practice, and I'm sure many have.

Maybe it's a regional thing.. in the community where I live, kids and adults don't routinely have more than a brief initial visit before they slap on a dx.
Old 10-24-09, 01:34 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

No but I had a physical to rule out physical causes / problems before my appointment with the phychrist

I am in the US and different countries have different rules and expectations of diagnosis validation

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-24-09, 06:15 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=meadd823;799255]No but I had a physical to rule out physical causes / problems before my appointment with the phychrist

I am in the US and different countries have different rules and expectations of diagnosis validation[/quote

Good point on the physical. This should always be a first step.

I missed the fact that the post was from Belgium. What I wrote is generally accepted for the US but may not apply to other countries.

Dizfriz
Old 10-24-09, 07:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

noodlzzz will become famous soon enough

I had a physical examination for my heart rate and the knee jerk thing, no idea why though...