ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-18, 01:49 PM

sadd103 is on a distinguished road
How do you set goals and stay on track?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum so nice to meet you all! I have a few questions about goal setting and tracking. Please bear with me. I would love it if you guys answered and I hope it will be helpful for me and the others in this forum.

Do you set daily/weekly/monthly goals? (please explain what kind of goals you set and how you set your goals, if you use a certain mobile app or a board or pen and paper or the good old memory)

Do you like writing your goals down? or would you have preferred another method to document them? (for example, for me, I would have preferred if I could talk to a personal assistant (whether a person or virtual assistant) and them writing them down for me and reminding me of them)

Do you have a specific strategy to stay on track with your goals and measure your progress?

Do you use any punishment/reward system to make sure you stick to your goals?

Have you been successful so far in your goal setting/tracking endeavors? What do you think you may be doing wrong and what do you think would be helpful to you?

looking forward to hearing your answers, thanks a lot.
Old 09-14-18, 02:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,333 Times in 675 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
Re: How do you set goals and stay on track?

I can visualize plans in my head, but that kind of visualization is good for stuff like memorization, and doing math in my head (like I can wright math problems in my head). I don't get a dopamine hit doing that though.

I was lists. the reason is, we are more hunters (look up hunter/gatherer+adhd on google). think about hunters 20k years ago, they would go in the field to hunt prey. a kill would give the hunters 20k years ago a dopamine hit, the more kills the better and more able they become.

same with us today. only we can use that model of a hunter and apply the same energy to lists/task commitment. we just have to be sure to execute (Attack) the plan and mark off each list item as soon as we get done with said item.

alarms and personal assistance are great for calendars and when we know we need to get to work, but as far as specific plans of action, we need to actually be able to Mark out something with our tactile senses. the act or writing(marking) like this is what produces a dopamine hit for us.

sense I'm getting out of a specific type of self destructive behavior, I don't use any punishment systems, I'm trying to keep that energy in working out (feel the burn).

now that you mention, a long term goal system would be ideal. I think because people with ADHD have a hard time conceiving time other than an extension of ourselfs (my time is important to me), we sort of create our own time. the more I would make plans everyday, the more I could utilize plans that are way off in the future. for example.

and ya, a meaning to why we are doing something is essential in my book, that's the key to motivation and, personal to each person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
sadd103 (09-14-18)
Old 09-15-18, 07:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you set goals and stay on track?

I dont like big long term goals. I disappoint myself too easily that way. I break everything down into steps and bargaining. I used to have an issue with dishes. So now if they are overflowing I bargain.."i will just unload the dishwasher now and then in 10 minutes load it". Its not so overwhelming to just unload or load, its doing both thats tough. Small steps saved me and routines save me.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links