ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 09-14-18, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Ritalin Conundrum

Iíve been taking an instant release formulation of methylphenidate for approximately 6 months now.

However, after initial success on very small doses (5-7.5mg), I now seem to be completely bereft of emotion and thought. Iím a complete zombie, with no attention span at all. I canít remember when I genuinely laughed or smiled.

The same happened on Concerta. It worked brilliantly for about 4 weeks and then all of a sudden I became similarly dulled and apathetic.

I would like to think it wasnít a Ďhoneymooní period when I initially had benefits from the drug. I wasnít euphoric but my mind was clear, everything was quiet (for a change) and I could finally remember things!

I donít understand why a small dose that initially was great for controlling my symptoms has now turned me into a mindless robot.

If anyone has had similar experiences or perhaps has any theories as to what the hell is going on, I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-18, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ritalin Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Iíve been taking an instant release formulation of methylphenidate for approximately 6 months now.

However, after initial success on very small doses (5-7.5mg), I now seem to be completely bereft of emotion and thought. Iím a complete zombie, with no attention span at all. I canít remember when I genuinely laughed or smiled.

The same happened on Concerta. It worked brilliantly for about 4 weeks and then all of a sudden I became similarly dulled and apathetic.

I would like to think it wasnít a Ďhoneymooní period when I initially had benefits from the drug. I wasnít euphoric but my mind was clear, everything was quiet (for a change) and I could finally remember things!

I donít understand why a small dose that initially was great for controlling my symptoms has now turned me into a mindless robot.

If anyone has had similar experiences or perhaps has any theories as to what the hell is going on, I would be grateful to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.
I've heard of this happening to people. I think some people deal with this by only taking the medication when it is needed for focus/performance.

I would talk to a doctor ASAP and explore trying another medication. I've had success with Vyvanse without that kind of side effect. It's a different family of drugs.

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

DG
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Barbrady1 (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 05:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I’m no longer under the care of my local ADHD clinic, thus Ritalin is my only option unless I decide to go private or wait another year for a re-referral.

I tried Elvanse for about two weeks but it just upset my stomach and did nothing for my concentration at all.

I kind of concluded that I respond well to the methylphenidate class of drugs but evidently something needs to change. I may try taking a mere 2.5mg for awhile or take medication holidays each week.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-18, 07:10 PM

mbadawy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks.
do you cut a 10mg into 5mg and 2.5mg? because I don't think you can cut a 10mg into quarters unless it has a scored line for quarters.
576640503.jpg i attached a picture to show you what i mean. because if it has just 1 score line. i Think it means the contents of this pill is equally distributed in half and not for quarters. meaning that if you cut a 10mg into half (5mg) the half cannot be cut into 2.5 as the 5mg contents is not equally distributed.

I'm not completely sure of this!!. so you gotta ask around or search about it.
Old 09-14-18, 10:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadawy View Post
do you cut a 10mg into 5mg and 2.5mg? because I don't think you can cut a 10mg into quarters unless it has a scored line for quarters.
Attachment 2603 i attached a picture to show you what i mean. because if it has just 1 score line. i Think it means the contents of this pill is equally distributed in half and not for quarters. meaning that if you cut a 10mg into half (5mg) the half cannot be cut into 2.5 as the 5mg contents is not equally distributed.

I'm not completely sure of this!!. so you gotta ask around or search about it.
I have 5mg tablets. I usually just take three of these a day. Thereís no score line, so if I used a pill cutter the dosages would not be precisely 2.5mg each.
Old 09-15-18, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

I feel a bit more like myself today (with a slight improvement in focus) after just taking around 3mg twice and only having one cup of jo.

If I want to see the results I had before, I guess I might have to consider ditching coffee and energy drinks altogether with the occasional medication break thrown in for good measure. Anecdotally, I believe 5mg is a good therapeutic dose for my particular wiring but I need to be more mindful of rest, hydration, exercise and good nutrition.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbrady1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-15-18)
Old 09-15-18, 04:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Or perhaps not.

I took approximately 3mg at 4pm, noticed improved concentration for about an hour and then turned into a thoughtless zombie who could barely string a sentence together again.

Perhaps this is an overreaction but I’m pretty much screwed if this going to be an ongoing problem.

I guess I’ll have to take a few days off to see if that helps at all.

It’s difficult to fathom how the same drug at the same dosage can produce such staggeringly different results.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt dumber in my life.
Old 09-17-18, 06:06 PM

mbadawy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have 5mg tablets. I usually just take three of these a day. Thereís no score line, so if I used a pill cutter the dosages would not be precisely 2.5mg each.
Im not 100% sure but it might not be. As a score line means this tablet has its contents divided into half or quarters. Without score line means that this table should not be cut in half as its content are not equally distributed along the tablet.

Again im not completely sure of this.