ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-16-18, 08:41 AM

EdithF86 is on a distinguished road
Can't find the right medication

I got tested for ADD about 6 years ago now.
I tried starting Ritalin back then, but when I tried taking half of one pill, it gave me the most violent intrusive thoughts that scared the sh*t out of me.
So I spent the next 6 years trying to live life without medication and tried all kinds of supplements and diets. Nothing ever really helped much and the ADD spiraled more and more out of control.

So now 6 years later, I've finally reached the point where I just really want to try and find the right medication and fix the mess that is my life.

So I went and tried Dexamphetamine next for about 10 days. Started at 2,5mg (3x/day) and worked my way up to 7,5mg (2x/day).

While it would always help with motivation for 1 or 2 days, after that I would turn into a complete zombie with a very short fuse due to the fact that I couldn't sleep at all on it, causing me to have to skip a day and start over again. Every evening/night and the day that I wasn't taking it, I would feel horrible because of the rebound. I was also struggling because the longer I took it, the more it brought back my chronic hyperventilation that I used to have really bad years ago. I felt short of breath all the time. Eventually at 10 day, I also got this really weird feeling like I had an elastic around my leg. The combination of this and the shortness of breath I was struggling with, had my doc sending me to the hospital to check for thrombose in my leg (also because I have a platelet disorder that gives me a higher chance for blood cloths). They didn't find anything but all this eventually drove my to quit this medication too. I also never felt like it wasn't really doing much for my focus anyway, only for motivation.

Then I switched to a new psychiatrist this month and he wanted me to try Wellbutrin XR. It made me feel like a complete zombie and I was unable to do anything anymore. On top of that it caused my ears to start ringing really bad. As it turns out, there's quite a high number of people that get permanent tinnitus and hearing loss from this drug, so now I really don't feel like continuing this one either.

Feeling quite hopeless right now as I don't see what else I could try now. I've read so many stories on this forum from people who do so much better on their meds, but I feel like all I get is really bad side effects and very little positive effects to motivate me to keep trying a drug. Anyone else that reacts this badly to all their medication? Could do with some advice
Old 09-16-18, 08:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't find the right medication

I do not know your mental health but there is something to consider... some of us have other mental health disorders/illnesses that need to be treated along with the adhd. Could that be possible for you? I am not trying to diagnose you with anything its just a thought. The other thing I thought of is sometimes people on stimulants need something in conjunction with them for whatever reason. Some combos I have heard of are antidepressants like lexapro or cymbalta along with stimulants and I have also heard of people taking clonidine or intuiv with stimulants. In some (more rare maybe) cases people have needed something stronger to target anxiety and those meds fall under the class of benzodiazipines like xanax or valium. The hyperventilating you mention...is there anything that brings it on? Could it be a reaction to anxiety or actual anxiety itself? Have you ever been diagnosed or considered to have anything other than adhd?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-16-18), EdithF86 (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 09:19 AM

EdithF86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not know your mental health but there is something to consider... some of us have other mental health disorders/illnesses that need to be treated along with the adhd. Could that be possible for you? I am not trying to diagnose you with anything its just a thought. The other thing I thought of is sometimes people on stimulants need something in conjunction with them for whatever reason. Some combos I have heard of are antidepressants like lexapro or cymbalta along with stimulants and I have also heard of people taking clonidine or intuiv with stimulants. In some (more rare maybe) cases people have needed something stronger to target anxiety and those meds fall under the class of benzodiazipines like xanax or valium. The hyperventilating you mention...is there anything that brings it on? Could it be a reaction to anxiety or actual anxiety itself? Have you ever been diagnosed or considered to have anything other than adhd?
Yeah I used to have a General Anxiety Disorder and agoraphobia as a result of all the chronic hyperventilation. But that was 6 years ago and under control now. But these meds bring it back out. The last thing I want to do is trigger the chronic hyperventilation/anxiety to come back and ruin my life again.
As for what brings the hyperventilation on, it's literally a reaction to taking this medication. I never get hyperventilation attacks, just short of breath and dizzy all the time, especially when the meds wear off.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-18, 12:12 PM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithF86 View Post
Yeah I used to have a General Anxiety Disorder and agoraphobia as a result of all the chronic hyperventilation. But that was 6 years ago and under control now. But these meds bring it back out. The last thing I want to do is trigger the chronic hyperventilation/anxiety to come back and ruin my life again.
As for what brings the hyperventilation on, it's literally a reaction to taking this medication. I never get hyperventilation attacks, just short of breath and dizzy all the time, especially when the meds wear off.
Hi, first you need to fix the anxiety and then you can try adding the stimulants. In your case the anxiety is below, latent, waiting to go out and the stimulants cause it to appear again. Talk with your doctor to see which is the best solution.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
EdithF86 (09-16-18)
Old 09-18-18, 04:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

It doesnt matter if its like the old anxiety or the med brings it out. You need to address it with a doctor to figure out what you can do.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
benito (09-18-18)