ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you struggle to keep up with all the small things in life?
Yes 12 80.00%
No 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-18, 04:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you struggle with all the small things in life?

I think saying "small things" isnt fair to yourself. It may be small to me, but to you its anything but small and that's ok.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 07:12 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,920 Times in 13,078 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post

I guess 'small' wasn't the right term. But I figured people would get what I was trying to say.
I didn't expect people to get so caught up on the term.
But I'm so glad people got caught up on the term.
Even after diagnosis I always made this distinction between "small" and "important" things; but really that's how I figure someone without adhd would categorize them.

certain tasks are absolutely not "small" for me. If I enjoy what I'm doing I can work all day on something very complicated; but can i even stop in a store on my way home without getting overwhelmed? it is hard enough to make a meal, let alone organize/clean anything or make some kind of appointment.

I spent most of my life beating myself up over this; actually I felt like a completely useless individual. Highly skilled in one specific area; cannot do the dishes. Rushing to appointments because even if I leave on time, i completely misread the address or directions on how to get there. ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-18, 10:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the idea that things are "small" if they have no significance to other people. Crumbs are small but to ants they are feasts.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

thorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to all

I can relate.

I will have long periods when I struggle with these so called small things. But I will also have long periods when those things somehow work out.

Making appointments used to be so hard that I would just put it off until way too late. These days the toughest small thing is shaving... I just can't be bothered. That's actually a problem as my beard growth is beyond useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to thorfinnur For This Useful Post: