ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 09-16-18, 05:13 AM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Is there any objective adhd test?

I'm 29 yo. I was one of the best student in primary and middle school despite not studying too much.Even so I didn't have concentration problem in class and I was able to listen to teacher. In high school my academic success started to decrease because of I couldn't listen to teachers and I could study at home very little. In university exam I couldn't do what I had expect.In university I was thinking about somethings that not related to subjects in class. I couldn't concentrate exept few classes that I was interested in. I have also social anxiety and shyness about since 15 yo. I started to visit doctor 2011(in 3th class of uni.). I went to 6-7 different doctors between 2011-2018. I complainted about anxiety, social phobia and shyness to docs but not about concentration, forgetfulness problem (because I thought that was my flabbiness). So all of the doctors gave me ssris or maoi (fluoxetine, paroxetine, moclobemide, mirtazepine etc.). None of these meds helped me.About 3 months ago I went to another doc. I told about soc. phobia and concentration problem. After exemination and some tests, he said that your main problem is adhd and anxiety is the result of adhd. I'm hypoactive not hyperactive. According to DMS-5 criteria I have and haven't following criteria.
Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities (+).
Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities (+).
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly (don't know how I seem but I forget things in conversations-maybe you can't believe but I forget someone's name just in a few mitutes who I newly meet-you know that's very shameful).
Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions) (+).
Often has trouble organizing activities (+).
Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period (such as schoolwork or homework) (+).
Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools.(sometimes but not sure if too often).
Is often easily distracted (I have problem on starting to do things, I bore too easily, I can difficultly finish even a page of a book. I start to do or think about something another).
Is often forgetful in daily activities (+).
I'm using concerta, strattera and cipralex. In Turkey, concerta can be sold only with red prescription (I could find the drug very difficultly in pharmacies despite the doctor's receipt, pharmacies don't want to give the drug even they have it). So I think doctors don't prescribe concerta to someone who doesn't need. I want to trust my doctor. But even though, I can't be sure if I have adhd or not. I was diagnosed with question-choose answer paper tests and doctor's interpretation. I want to ask you if is there any objective adhd diagnostic test (I mean blood tests like dopamine concentration or magnetic resonance or computer tomography)? How were you diagnosed?
Old 09-16-18, 05:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,019 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is there any objective adhd test?

Unfortunately there are no tests for adhd. There are tests to rule out other disorders but no one in the medical community has come up with a verifiable test for adhd. There is some promising research into spect scans and brain scans(not familiar with the research) but nothing concrete yet. Way back when I joined this forum if I heard of a person that didnt have major impairments as a child I would be a jerk and say they didnt have adhd. I know better now. Now I know that symptoms can show up later and that symptoms present differently and cause impairments that are worse in some instances than others. Its ok that you didnt have difficulty until you were a teenager because adhd is often underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed, especially if you are a girl.
There are so many a-holes that think adhd is a made up disorder or that anyone who cant concentrate has adhd that its almost a constant battle for legitimacy.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-16-18, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Unfortunately there are no tests for adhd. There are tests to rule out other disorders but no one in the medical community has come up with a verifiable test for adhd. There is some promising research into spect scans and brain scans(not familiar with the research) but nothing concrete yet. Way back when I joined this forum if I heard of a person that didnt have major impairments as a child I would be a jerk and say they didnt have adhd. I know better now. Now I know that symptoms can show up later and that symptoms present differently and cause impairments that are worse in some instances than others. Its ok that you didnt have difficulty until you were a teenager because adhd is often underdiagnosed and misdiagnosed, especially if you are a girl.
There are so many a-holes that think adhd is a made up disorder or that anyone who cant concentrate has adhd that its almost a constant battle for legitimacy.
I'm male.I think there's two reason why I have diagnosed so lately.
1-I'm not egoistic but I think have higher IQ than normal (not genius but a bit higher IQ). I feel myself like I'm a car race driver and I have an 120 hp engine car. The other competitors cars have 100 hp engine. But my cars hand(park) brake is partially active and I don't notice that. So my car skates in starting and I can use only 100 hp of my car.
2-I was hypoactive in all my life. And if I had hyperactivty I would probably be diagnosed earlier. Most of people can easily diagnose hyperactive type adhd. But diagnosis of inattentive type is more difficult, complex and maybe more subjective. Also as I know comorbid diseases (soc.anx, depression, motor function diseases) more common in inattentive subtype. So treatment failure and resistance is more common. I would like to have hyperactive type adhd not inattentive adhd, if I had a chance to choose.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-18, 03:33 PM

I've found this article at pubmed. https://link.springer.com/content/pd...011-0057-z.pdf.
According to article it may be possible to diagnose adhd by measuring blood cell membrane potential ratio (MPR). According to reseach the sensitivity of this test between 0.75-0.90. And specifity is 0.75. I'm still researching about this. I opened new thread at sciencific discussion