ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 03-29-09, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jackinbox is on a distinguished road
Seeking advice on treatment of anxiety

I have been getting more aware of my anxiety issues recently and I think it I should try to do something about it. The problem with anxiety medications is that it generally make people feel tired and that's something I cannot afford. I also worry about side effects.

I'm thinking of trying a benzo for a while since I would be able to know quite fast how much anxiety is an issue for me.

It seems that Lexapro is the SSRI with the less side effect and some positive effect on anxiety. It might be an option but I'm not sure I want to go thru the build-up period that might last a few weeks.

Do you have any advice for me?
Old 04-01-09, 10:21 PM
Forum Guru

Justtess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud ofJusttess has much to be proud of
Re: Seeking advice on treatment of anxiety

I take Effexor for my anxiety issues. At first it made me sleepy at some point in the day, however, after a month or so I'm able to adjust the time when I take the meds to be sleepy at a more appropriate time. It's a bit difficult to explain. If I take Effexor at the right time, it gives me more energy to get things done ... if I take it the wrong time... I can't go to sleep. I think it has to do with the way your body metabolizes the meds.

I don't like to take the stronger anxiety meds because I feel like I should reserve those when the Effexor doesn't work.

Generally, this is what happens if I don't take it at all. I feel like I'm backed into a corner and I can't accomplish anything. My whole body seems to be in an alarm state which could be set off if someone dropped their book on the floor. I'ld probably jump and cling to the ceiling. I can't make a decision because I'm second guessing my third guess.

Have you looked into CBT or breathing techniques to manage anxiety?
Old 04-02-09, 04:11 PM

Packersforever is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking advice on treatment of anxiety

I was diagnosed with PTSD at a really young age. Then in college, came the bad news about having anxiety, with PTSD, and depression, and possible ADD. They had me on all sorts of meds, but I ended up on lexapro and risperdal (I guess an upper and a downer). Lex was to be taken in the morning and Risperdol was taken at night.

It was a huge struggle at first, sleeping 20 hours a day and having to drop out of school, but life became normal after awhile. Not wanting to succumb to drug though, I began a heavy counseling program along with seeing a doctor weekly. After all that, I was able to get off all meds within three years.

It got bad again with some death in the family, but then I decided to go see a Christian psychologist, who diagnosed me only with PTSD and anxiety, and according to his testing, the research hospital completely misdiagnosed me for research purposes. It sucks, but what's done is done and I can't turn back time.

Alot of my friends thought I was probably nuts during that time, so I went and pursued Christian counseling again and now life is alright. I've got my good and bad days, but I'm here to tell you that sometimes meds are just a temporary solution. I do understand some people have to take meds for their whole lives, but PTSD is a generally milder disorder. Props to you guys for sharing on here, it really is encouraging.

For anxiety, there are many many books on the subject to managing it. I was anxious for about 6 months after coming off lexapro, but with time, it goes away.
Sponsored Links