ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-11, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Simfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the rough
Talking to other people with ADD - does mutual impatience show up?

So the thing with us is that we're naturally more impatient than other people are.

So how does this manifest in conversations with other ADDers? If you're mutually interested in the same things (and have a similar temperament+cycles of alertness/unalertness), then maybe you two might bond really well. But if not, then you two might be even more incompatible with each other than with a fellow neurotypical (funny thing is that a similar situation exists for Aspies and their intense interests too)
The Following User Says Thank You to Simfish For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (02-07-11)
Old 02-07-11, 06:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Talking to other people with ADD - does mutual impatience show up?

i agree. some people who are a lot like me a get along with real well, others i dont. some people who are the polar opposite of my (my bf for instamce) i gat aloong with real well too. i think its the similarity of experiences and trials that bonds us. not just because we have a short attention span, but because adhd influences us all in a good or bad way and we can relat to eachother. its not easy to find people you can relate to, especially when you have adhd, and when you do, you are more likely to feel accepted and like you belong and thus friendly.

it all depends on the person or people in general.
Old 02-07-11, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

For me, I seem to find ADD friends naturally, and it's because of the attention span. I love topics changing fast and eccentric and unique thinkers. But, I prefer the polar opposite of me for a significant other. I'd hate to share the same weaknesses, plus gives me a totally different perspective.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 06:30 PM
Forum Guru

ArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really nice

Hmmm. Well, I have to say I do tend to be drawn more towards people who are less grounded and eccentric, like me. Many NT's bore me.
I find myself thinking "dude, throw some caution to the wind and live a little".

I am really good at starting a conversation about nothing, and with a perfect stranger. I also try with tact, but say what I'm thinking. Like if I'm in line at a grocery store and someone is taking forever at the check out, I'll turn to the person next to me and say something.

I will say one of the better friends I made here is a NT.....but she's not. She doesn't have AD(H)D that I'm aware of, or her. But she is "different". But her daughter has ADHD - so I'm thinking maybe that's how she has been able to tolerate me.
Old 02-07-11, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I think with me I find it hard to be patient with people with ADHD that seems worse than mine, or I relate but dealt with those issues and when those people aren't I get a bit frustrated.

Fortunately I only know most NT's in real life and I just ignore them.