ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-05-18, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

fathom6 is on a distinguished road
MethylFolate

Hi all, I am very pleased with Vyvanse with one drawback that it causes generalized hair thinning on me (yes, I do take Finesteride, topical Rogaine, ketokonazole shampoo). I want to try MethylFolate as I have heard rave reviews from research pubs and user reviews.

Benefit:
- Folate helps hair loss suffererers.
- Folate is precursor for various neurotransmitters, so can potentially help my ADHD not only that, but I hear it can help my other problems too, which are anxiety, speech slurring/stuttering, inability to easily socialize, have trouble initiating conversations, and when do my speech is not best formed - sentences come weird and I embarrass my self.

Caution:
- I came across research, cant find it again, it talked about that folate attenuates certain drug receptors as well diminishes certain drug receptors. I do remember the article had talked about that SSRI's effects are enhanced and therefore a great combination. I fear the article had said it decreases the effects of amphetamines (or maybe or it was a commentary from a user that since using folate, they no longer feel adderall)

Bottom line, I dont want to compromise the great effect of Vyvanse I get by experimenting with MethylFolate.

Anyone with knowledge or experience in this area, if you would chime please.
Old 12-05-18, 09:40 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,331 Times in 7,385 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MethylFolate

I just finished my first month of Methylfolate. It didn’t help with anxiety or depression. It did help provide more energy but not significantly. Most people get plenty of Folic acid in their diet which converts into Methylfolate in the body unless you have a folate genetic mutation like MTHFR. It inhibits the body’s ability to covert Folic acid to Methylfolate.

Do you have reason to believe you are folate deficient or have trouble processing folic acid? It can have some negative side effects. I don’t believe the side effects are serious or very common unless taken in very high doses.

Theses are the only medication interactions listed.

Quote:
Moderate Interactions
These medications may cause some risk when taken together. Consult your healthcare professional (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) for more in formation.
HIGH-DOSE FOLIC ACID/5-FLUOROURACIL
FOLIC ACID; PYRIMETHAMINE/HYDANTOINS

Quote:
Methylfolate Side Effects
by Dr Lynch on March 1, 2012 in MTHFR Mutations

Methylfolate is a remarkable nutrient yet it can create significant side effects.

Those who have MTHFR mutations (especially the C677T MTHFR mutation) learn that methylfolate is critical to take. The issue is methylfolate can cause more harm than good if not started at the right time or tapered up slowly in amount.

UPDATE December 7, 2014:

Please read this article on how to prevent methylfolate side effects in addition to this one. I’ve since learned how to reduce the incidence of side effects even more.

There appear to be three types of responses to methylfolate:

FIRST: A person who can jump on methylfolate and feel absolutely wonderful. The only down side they experience is why didn’t they know about methylfolate before?!

SECOND: A person starts methylfolate has an amazingly incredible week where they are happy, interacting and alert. Then the second week comes and they switch to wanting to hide in a room by themselves or literally throw dishes across the room out of anger. Or they may become bed ridden from muscle aches, intense headaches or joint pain.

THIRD: A person takes a small amount of methylfolate and feels all the methylfolate side effects right out the gate.

Methylfolate Side Effects:

irritability
insomnia
sore muscles
achy joints
acne
rash
severe anxiety
palpitations
nausea
headaches
migraines

Last edited by Greyhound1; 12-05-18 at 09:50 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (12-06-18), Little Missy (12-05-18)
Old 12-06-18, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

fathom6 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I dont think my diet has been well-balanced. I have always remained on the edge of normal to underweight. I do take currently Methylfolate (in a B-complex) but its 100% daily value only. The 100 DV has zero effect on me. I was researching about my speech/anxiety and other issues and some people as well research publications report dramatic improvements on higher dosages like 5mg / day.

What dosage are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Do you have reason to believe you are folate deficient or have trouble processing folic acid? It can have some negative side effects. I donít believe the side effects are serious or very common unless taken in very high doses.
The Following User Says Thank You to fathom6 For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-06-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 10:21 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom6 View Post

What dosage are you on?
Thatís a good question. Iíll have to get back to you this evening when Iím home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
fathom6 (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 02:28 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,632 Times in 15,113 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

So would it reduce the positive effects of say adderall xr? I am always looking for stuff to help strengthen and grow my hair. I have a lot of hair, no thinning or loss but I like it to grow faster and be less brittle. I already take biotin.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-07-18, 09:56 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathom6 View Post
Yes, I dont think my diet has been well-balanced. I have always remained on the edge of normal to underweight. I do take currently Methylfolate (in a B-complex) but its 100% daily value only. The 100 DV has zero effect on me. I was researching about my speech/anxiety and other issues and some people as well research publications report dramatic improvements on higher dosages like 5mg / day.

What dosage are you on?
Sorry, I couldnít log on last night. The forum must have gone down. Glad weíre up and running today!

I started my trial taking 400 mcg per day.
Old 12-07-18, 10:42 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
So would it reduce the positive effects of say adderall xr? I am always looking for stuff to help strengthen and grow my hair. I have a lot of hair, no thinning or loss but I like it to grow faster and be less brittle. I already take biotin.
It should be fine with Adderall and most other medications. Iíve read that a folate deficiency can cause hair loss. Not sure if it helps hair to grow faster and less brittle though.

I found some possible additional drug interactions which are mild to moderate.

Quote:

Drug Interactions
CarBAMazepine: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of CarBAMazepine. Monitor therapy

Cholestyramine Resin: May decrease the serum concentration of Methylfolate. Monitor therapy

Colestipol: May decrease the serum concentration of Methylfolate. Monitor therapy

Fosphenytoin: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of Fosphenytoin. Monitor therapy

PHENobarbital: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of PHENobarbital. Monitor therapy

Phenytoin: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of Phenytoin. Monitor therapy

Primidone: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of Primidone. Monitor therapy

Pyrimethamine: Methylfolate may diminish the therapeutic effect of Pyrimethamine. Monitor therapy

Raltitrexed: Methylfolate may diminish the therapeutic effect of Raltitrexed. Avoid combination

SulfaSALAzine: May decrease the serum concentration of Methylfolate. Monitor therapy

Valproate Products: Methylfolate may decrease the serum concentration of Valproate Products. Monitor therapy