ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-24-18, 02:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light
sooo considering going freelance

just wondering if working on a per project basis rather than a traditional job might be more my thing or at least be better for my motivation level. from my understanding it's not as stable and a lot more stuff I gotta take care of on my own but the pacing and freedom might be a better fit for my personality and lifestyle. your thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to RobotInDisguise For This Useful Post:
stef (03-25-18)
Old 03-24-18, 03:04 PM

FlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the roughFlipperTheWhale is a jewel in the rough
Re: sooo considering going freelance

If you can keep the work coming in. I do a few small jobs now and then, but nothing really steady enough to make me take the plunge full time. Of course it depends how needed you are! I had one good gig and I really liked working to complete a month long project. I was really focused on it while it lasted.
Old 03-24-18, 03:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,555 Times in 856 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends many factors. The big one being handling the background junk and all the stuff the employer takes care of. You won't be able to just do the job.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-18, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

RobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of lightRobotInDisguise is a glorious beacon of light

idk I guess another thing I have in the back of my mind is what'll happen when I start having kids (assuming soon-to-be hubby is out working most of the time). focus factor, caffeine, meds, try to get it all out of the system by then .... another factor behind my going solo for some time

I guess another potentially limiting factor is access to hardware. In my current job their network and speed welp my home stuff doesn't compare.

and that's another question is this sustainable xD
Old 03-25-18, 04:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

What kind of projects are you planning on doing? What kind of hardware do you need for it?

I think the most difficult part of being a freelancer is getting a foot in the door. Unless you have already made a name for yourself in the field you want to work in or already have clients lined up, it can be super difficult to find work. If the work you want to do can be done remotely over the internet, then you will most likely be competing with people living in places where you can get by on $100 a month. They can afford to work for $1 - $2 an hour. On the other hand, if you need to be on location for your projects and you work as a contractor of some sort, it can be a really good source of income.

I have worked as a freelance web designer and back-end programmer on some projects and I always enjoyed the short length of the projects and the fact that there was a tangible goal in sight. The biggest problem was finding enough work to get me through the month, even once I had established myself as a trustworthy freelancer. My only leg up over the competition was that I did everything I could to make sure the client got exactly what they wanted and the fact that I speak fluent English, but that's about it. Hardly worth paying a 1000%+ premium for in most people's eyes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-25-18), stef (03-25-18)
Old 03-25-18, 05:30 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,911 Times in 13,072 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

i'm going to do it!
Freelance translator by the end of this year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (03-25-18), OyVeyKitty (03-25-18)
Old 03-25-18, 06:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,982 Times in 14,787 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You need to make sure you have the client base to go freelance, something to maintain your income.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (07-11-18), OyVeyKitty (03-25-18)
Old 07-04-18, 08:34 AM

lugnaz is on a distinguished road

Me too, I can't stand rules and responsibilities that aren't clear and easy
to manage. But i cringe at the amount of paperwork freelancing requires. I have friend with ADD who can bearly manage it, always too late with paymnents etc. I work in IT
Old 07-11-18, 01:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,996 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

It really depends on you.

I couldn't do it. I hate invoicing and marketing. Your one job becomes like 5 different jobs when you freelance.

Add to that, I would never be motivated to look for the next project. It's like looking for job after job. It's so hard motivating myself to look for things (work) I don't really want to be doing in the first place.