ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-15-11, 01:51 AM

BarbadosSlim is on a distinguished road
Blurry vision

Got my refill today after a couple weeks without medication. I had left my backpack at a party. I had my pills in there but they disappeared along with the backpack. I assume someone stole it. It was the start of spring break and I was kinda nervous about asking my new doctor for more pills just 15 days after I saw her, so I decided to take a break from a while.

Well I took 10mg IR this morning, and another 10mg around 1. I'm working on a big paper, so (stupidly) I decided to take another one a couple hours ago (it's almost 11pm now) and pull an all-nighter. I admit that was dumb, but now I've gotta deal with it.

So for the last hour or so my vision has just gotten blurry and it won't go back to normal. I'm not panicking since this happened last time I took a break (that time it was a month). When that happened, it came back the next day but very mild, and by day 3 I was back to normal. But I still have this paper to write and I can't go to bed, so it's really bugging the hell out of me. Any remedies or tips you guys know of, just for the short-term?

(if it helps, I've been taking adderall for a couple years now, I'm 22, and I usually have 20/13 vision)
Old 04-15-11, 02:29 AM

gimmeabreak has a spectacular aura aboutgimmeabreak has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blurry vision

I'm 20/13 too, I guess there are other far sight people out there. It says on your Rx instruction, in the side effects section, that if you have blurry vision, contact a doctor immediately. But I think most of people prescribe adderall experienced blurry vision. I had a time when I was driving at night that every headlight I looked at had blinding rings and rays around them. I couldn't even focus my vision on my speedometer. But that was the first few days starting adderall. I still get slightly blurry vision, although rarely.

I'm sure I don't got to tell you it was dumb to bring your whole pill bottle to school. I'd recommend finding a small container of some sort to put just enough for the day, and leave them in your pocket.
Old 04-15-11, 03:46 AM

BarbadosSlim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeabreak View Post

I'm sure I don't got to tell you it was dumb to bring your whole pill bottle to school. I'd recommend finding a small container of some sort to put just enough for the day, and leave them in your pocket.
Yeah I know...I wouldn't usually have it in there, but it was the first day of spring break so I loaded up a bunch of stuff in my backpack to take home. I forgot I even had it in there.

But thanks for the reply, good to know it's a common problem instead of a big one.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-11, 05:57 PM

usm6987 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I had similar problems when I first started taking adderall. I don't know for sure but I think this is what happened with me:

it didn't seem to cause vision problems per se, but it really exacerbated the vision I already have. For example, I first started when I was a sophomore in college. When I was a sophomore, I had prescription eyeglasses but I only ever needed them in very very situational cases - like reading in dim lighting. I probably wore them once every 2 or 3 weeks.

However, when I started adderall, my vision got blurry. I found out that this was a common side effect of the drug. However, I noticed that when I wore my prescription glasses, my vision was perfect. Therefore, I don't think the drug caused my any additional vision problems, I think it just made it more essential for me to wear my glasses when I am on the drug.

Anyway, to compensate, I went in and got fitted for contacts - that way, since I take adderall regularly and it affects my vision, my contacts correct for it.

Before the addreall I never noticed vision problems except in rare circumstances, but for me I just think it brought out the vision problems I already had. That was just my experience with it.
Old 04-16-11, 06:01 PM

usm6987 is on a distinguished road

Oh one more suggestion: what I do is put a few days' supply of adderall in one of my older prescription bottles and keep my full prescription bottle at home somewhere safe. I know it seems silly but, the drug has a ton of street value and I have heard of many people getting theirs stole whether by college kids, high school kids, parents, siblings, etc. So I put it somewhere secure. Then I just put the bottle with a few days supply in my bookbag, that way if I lose it I don't lose all of it.

One reason this is also good is because if you get "caught" with the drug (let's say, while speeding) and it isn't in a correctly labeled bottle with your name on it, you can get fined or go to jail since it's a controlled substance - even if it was presscribed to you but you have it in a ziplock bag or something. This is even moreso possible if travelling out of state/country. This is just another reason why I like to keep it in a bottle with my name on it and the name of the Rx on it.

I know it was just a special circumstance so I'm not lecturing you, just offering a suggestion.
Old 04-17-11, 01:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

fatality is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbadosSlim View Post
Got my refill today after a couple weeks without medication. I had left my backpack at a party. I had my pills in there but they disappeared along with the backpack. I assume someone stole it. It was the start of spring break and I was kinda nervous about asking my new doctor for more pills just 15 days after I saw her, so I decided to take a break from a while.

Well I took 10mg IR this morning, and another 10mg around 1. I'm working on a big paper, so (stupidly) I decided to take another one a couple hours ago (it's almost 11pm now) and pull an all-nighter. I admit that was dumb, but now I've gotta deal with it.

So for the last hour or so my vision has just gotten blurry and it won't go back to normal. I'm not panicking since this happened last time I took a break (that time it was a month). When that happened, it came back the next day but very mild, and by day 3 I was back to normal. But I still have this paper to write and I can't go to bed, so it's really bugging the hell out of me. Any remedies or tips you guys know of, just for the short-term?

(if it helps, I've been taking adderall for a couple years now, I'm 22, and I usually have 20/13 vision)
Your not alone on this issue. I don't quite understand it myself, but, my theory is it has something to do along the lines of eye blood pressure being raised due to the Adderall.

It's strange, as the first day I took my 5mg IR along with a XR my vision was intensely clear, very sharp. Now that I have regulated to this dose, it is slightly blurry. Kind of annoying, but, what can I do? Getting another perscription for glasses when it is not really needed will only strain my eyes further degrading my vision.

My only recommendation, is, if you have the insurance and the funds - get your eyesight tested w/o the Adderall. Then, 6 months down the line, get it tested again to see if it has degraded. Then you can make a clear correlation between eyesight degradation and the Adderall.

I mean, you don't want to take Adderall if it's going to make you blind right? Not saying it will, but, I have read reports of peoples eyesight degrading with this medication. It could have been due to natural causes - but, it's always good to play it safe if you have the option.