ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-06, 12:17 AM

beancounter is on a distinguished road
Talking toot your own horn--join me :)

So my day started out pretty good and just kept getting better !!

I am so excited and I didn't have anyone to share it with so I decided to share it with people who would understand how difficult things can be for us ADD/ADHDers:

** brief background--I quit my job of 10 years about a year ago and went back to complete a Bachelors in Accounting. Took several tests last week and received the results today.

My exams were in 3 separate areas of Accounting and are all upper level classes (meaning these are not easy). Each exam was worth 100 pts. My scores were 97, 99,and 99. I received the highest number of points out of any one else in all the sections in each class. I am sooooo giddy !! (the 1st time I went to college I flunked out ).

Most of the time I don't think I can accomplish much so today I just had to "toot my own horn". ((((thanks for listening))))

I would like to invite you all to join me and "toot your horn" too !! (sometimes I think we get wrapped up in all the "can'ts" that we don't give ourselves any credit for the "cans".

TOOT AWAY-------
Old 02-08-06, 12:51 AM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Beancounter,

I don't feel like tooting but I don't mind telling you I hate accountants.

All accountants have one of two stories: 1. "You didn't make any money this year." 2. "You made a lot of money this year and you owe the IRS 8 trillion dollars."

Accountants SUCK.

Sorry,
Bob
I think the conviction and the intensity and the passion and the sincerity - the honesty - you feel these qualities when you hear this record, and that's what makes it so compelling - Joshua Redman on Trane's "Love Supreme"

It is what makes us ADHDers compelling also - Bob1951
Old 02-08-06, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1951
Beancounter,

I don't feel like tooting but I don't mind telling you I hate accountants.

All accountants have one of two stories: 1. "You didn't make any money this year." 2. "You made a lot of money this year and you owe the IRS 8 trillion dollars."

Accountants SUCK.

Sorry,
Bob
Hey Bob,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion---- however......

don't shoot the messenger. You would be the one that didn't make any money //// The IRS makes their own rules...... everyone pays!

My point with this post was not to vote for or against the profession. It was to acknowledge something that someone works really hard for and finally achieves.

Thanks for the comment
Old 02-08-06, 01:16 AM
Contributor

addinbc is on a distinguished road
Hi 'Beancounter'....

Congratulations!!!

That is absolutely fantastic!

Today, I got stopped by the police for speeding (was running late for class as per usual ), but THANKFULLY, the nice cop let me off with a warning. WHEW!

But then, after getting to class 20 minutes late, and sitting through three hours of it, I came out to find my car had been towed .

So my day wasn't as good as yours was.

But you must be so pleased!

Last term (the first term of my Master's degree) I also did well (top of my class - 93% average - I feel funny 'tooting my own horn' ). It's funny, but I found that I felt an incredibly powerful sense of satisfaction above anything else, knowing that for the first time in my life I was actually able to do WHAT I'VE ALWAYS KNOWN I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING....but never seemed to be able to do (i.e.; I was on medication for the first time in my life, and it helped me work to my full potential). Just that alone (forget the grades) made me happier than I can ever remember being.

It was like one big *SIGH* --- FINALLY!!!

So, congratulations again. I agree that we often lose sight of our abilities and strengths when we get so caught up in our struggles and difficulties. It sounds like this success is very well deserved. I'm very happy for you!

Cheers!
addinbc.
Old 02-08-06, 01:32 AM
Contributor

Bob1951 will become famous soon enough
Beancounter,

Congrats!!!!!!

It was tongue-in-check.

Me and rules dont' get along.

Bob
I think the conviction and the intensity and the passion and the sincerity - the honesty - you feel these qualities when you hear this record, and that's what makes it so compelling - Joshua Redman on Trane's "Love Supreme"

It is what makes us ADHDers compelling also - Bob1951
Old 02-08-06, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addinbc

Last term (the first term of my Master's degree) I also did well (top of my class - 93% average - I feel funny 'tooting my own horn' ). It's funny, but I found that I felt an incredibly powerful sense of satisfaction above anything else, knowing that for the first time in my life I was actually able to do WHAT I'VE ALWAYS KNOWN I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING....but never seemed to be able to do (i.e.; I was on medication for the first time in my life, and it helped me work to my full potential). Just that alone (forget the grades) made me happier than I can ever remember being.

addinbc.
addinbc,

Sorry to hear about your car.

Congratulations to you, too !!

The sense of satisfaction for me is indescribeable. I have struggled without meds (as most of us do) and then to see the changes after being on meds--- I am so thankful.

Keep up the good work !!
Old 02-08-06, 01:37 AM

Bob,

Sorry.

I have spent my life having to defend and prove myself. I always seem to have to be on the defensive
Old 02-08-06, 02:10 PM

mfranks is on a distinguished road
Hey Beancounter,

Congrats on your achievement! Accounting is such a tedious, detail-oriented occupation. I find it interesting that you chose this profession, given you have ADD... What is it about accounting that attracts you? What area in accounting do plan to pursue for a career? Audit, Tax, consulting or other?

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-08-06, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Congratulations Beancounter!!! That's really awesome -- you really have a right to feel proud. You got me thinking too -- most of what I feel proud of is stuff from a decade or two ago. But this morning you made me stop and think about anything today, I'm proud of. It's been a tough year for me and I've spent more time feel ashamed than proud. But you know what, there is something I'm proud of -- I taught my dyslexic/ADD daughter to read. Not only does she read now, but she LOVES reading! Thanks for the horn tooting opportunity!

Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 02-08-06, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

sherigraph is on a distinguished road
Beancounter, that is awesome. I am 42 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. lol. Always hated school. I have never been diagnosed with ADD but I am thinking I am. No meds either. just deal with life as it comes. My son is ADD, and started Adderall 5 weeks ago, and things are finaly going great for him. I guess I have to say I am proud of the fact that I have kept on searching for what to do and how to help him. I am glad I was persistant and finally got him on something. I am also proud that I found this group because it is hard to find people going through this., Although I know they are out there, but don't want everyone to know. Congrats again.
Old 02-08-06, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfranks
Hey Beancounter,
Accounting is such a tedious, detail-oriented occupation. I find it interesting that you chose this profession, given you have ADD... What is it about accounting that attracts you? What area in accounting do plan to pursue for a career? Audit, Tax, consulting or other?
I know that Accounting is perceived as tedious but for me it is interesting. I am fascinated by how all the numbers come together to paint a picture. I grew up in a very business oriented family (grandfather, mother) and choosing any other field besides business never interested me.

I am inattentive and have struggled all my life as I was only recently diagnosed. The details were often forgotten but I have somehow made it through so far. Of course I have been working on this degree for over 15 years . The amount of time I spend on homework/studying is obscene !! But this is something I have wanted for so long, I guess the motivation factor has kept me going.

So far I am interested in Tax, Audit and possibly Consulting-don't know if I am smart enough for that though. I am volunteering during this tax season preparing for clients that are considered low income. I thoroughly enjoy it !! It makes me feel good about myself knowing that I can help someone who couldn't have helped themself. It's a great experience.
Old 02-08-06, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered
You got me thinking too -- most of what I feel proud of is stuff from a decade or two ago. But this morning you made me stop and think about anything today, I'm proud of. It's been a tough year for me and I've spent more time feel ashamed than proud. But you know what, there is something I'm proud of -- I taught my dyslexic/ADD daughter to read. Not only does she read now, but she LOVES reading! Thanks for the horn tooting opportunity!

Scattered
Wow !!!

That's awsome---you should feel proud

I'm glad I got you to think--we all need to stop and re-evaluate once in a while and give ourselves some credit. Congratulations !!!
Old 02-08-06, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherigraph
My son is ADD, and started Adderall 5 weeks ago, and things are finaly going great for him. I guess I have to say I am proud of the fact that I have kept on searching for what to do and how to help him. I am glad I was persistant and finally got him on something. I am also proud that I found this group because it is hard to find people going through this., Although I know they are out there, but don't want everyone to know. Congrats again.
Congratulations to you too !!

Searching and getting help for our kids is no small task. I believe the best thing someone can do for their child is to keep fighting for what they know to be true.

Honk, Honk
Old 02-09-06, 01:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Yeah! Great work!

I'm ABD (all but dissertation). I passed my qualifiers more than 3 weeks ago, but I'm still flying from it!

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 02-09-06, 04:59 AM
Contributor

addinbc is on a distinguished road
Barb...

Congratulations, that must feel sooooo fantastic!

I'm doing my masters in school psychology right now, and am seriously considering going on to pursue my doctorate - although I keep having to remind myself...'one thing at a time!'

It gives me great encouragement to hear about others like yourself who have met their goals despite the struggle with ADD.

Congratulations again! {{{{*big applause*}}}}