ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-03, 02:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

Salsa is on a distinguished road
Last Post

Simple Game.

Simple Rules.

The last person to post on this thread is the winner.

So far, I'm in the lead!

~Sandy
Old 11-27-03, 03:19 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Okay, you win.
Old 11-27-03, 07:06 AM
Jr Member

Ludger is on a distinguished road
OK. So, now I'm the winner since I'm the last to post.
Old 11-27-03, 04:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Jellybean is on a distinguished road
"On this thread "

Think litteral
Old 11-27-03, 09:23 PM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
So, I am seeing in the definitions below, many ways to be "last" and not to be "replaced" or "displaced" by the next to post!

How many people can claim separate ways to be "last" thus being "co-winners?"

David

last

\Last\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Lasted; p. pr. & vb. n. Lasting.] [OE. lasten, As. l[ae]stan to perform, execute, follow, last, continue, fr. l[=a]st, l?st, trace, footstep, course; akin to G. leisten to perform, Goth. laistjan to follow. SeeLast mold of the foot.] 1. To continue in time; to endure; to remain in existence.

[i] proffered me to be slave in all that she me would ordain while my life lasted. --Testament of Love.

2. To endure use, or continue in existence, without impairment or exhaustion; as, this cloth lasts better than that; the fuel will last through the winter.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

last

\Last\, 3d pers. sing. pres. of Last, to endure, contracted from lasteth. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

last

\Last\, a. [OE. last, latst, contr. of latest, superl. of late; akin to OS. lezt, lazt, last, D. laatst, G. letzt. See Late, and cf. Latest.] 1. Being after all the others, similarly classed or considered, in time, place, or order of succession; following all the rest; final; hindmost; farthest; as, the last year of a century; the last man in a line of soldiers; the last page in a book; his last chance.

Also day by day, from the first day unto the last day, he read in the book of the law of God. --Neh. viii. 18.

Fairest of stars, last in the train of night. --Milton.

2. Next before the present; as, I saw him last week.

3. Supreme; highest in degree; utmost.

Contending for principles of the last importance. --R. Hall.

4. Lowest in rank or degree; as, the last prize. --Pope.

5. Farthest of all from a given quality, character, or condition; most unlikely; having least fitness; as, he is the last person to be accused of theft.

last

\Last\, adv. [See Last, a.] 1. At a time or on an occasion which is the latest of all those spoken of or which have occurred; the last time; as, I saw him last in New York.

2. In conclusion; finally.

last

\Last\, n. [AS. l[=a]sttrace, track, footstep; akin to D. leest a last, G. leisten, Sw. l["a]st, Dan. l[ae]st, Icel. leistr the foot below the ankle, Goth. laists track, way; from a root signifying, to go. Cf. Last, v. i., Learn, Delirium.] A wooden block shaped like the human foot, on which boots and shoes are formed.

The cobbler is not to go beyond his last. --L'Estrange.

Darning last, a smooth, hard body, often egg-shaped, put into a stocking to preserve its shape in darning.

last

\Last\, v. t. To shape with a last; to fasten or fit to a last; to place smoothly on a last; as, to last a boot.

last

\Last\, n. [As. hl[ae]st, fr. hladan to lade; akin to OHG. hlast, G., D., Dan., & Sw. last: cf. F. laste, last, a last, of German or Dutch origin. See Lade.] 1. A load; a heavy burden; hence, a certain weight or measure, generally estimated at 4,000 lbs., but varying for different articles and in different countries. In England, a last of codfish, white herrings, meal, or ashes, is twelve barrels; a last of corn, ten quarters, or eighty bushels, in some parts of England, twenty-one quarters; of gunpowder, twenty-four barrels, each containing 100 lbs; of red herrings, twenty cades, or 20,000; of hides, twelve dozen; of leather, twenty dickers; of pitch and tar, fourteen barrels; of wool, twelve sacks; of flax or feathers, 1,700 lbs.

2. The burden of a ship; a cargo.

last

adj 1: immediately past; "last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read" [syn:last(a)] 2: coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining; "the last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel" [ant: intermediate, first] 3: occurring at or forming an end or termination; "his concluding words came as a surprise"; "the final chapter"; "the last days of the dinosaurs"; "terminal leave" [syn: concluding, final, terminal] 4: more advanced in time or nearer to the end in a sequence; "these latter days"; "the latter (or last) part of the book"; "latter (or later) part of the l8th century" [syn: later(a), last(a), latter(a)] 5: conclusive in a process or progression; "the final answer"; "a last resort"; "the net result" [syn: final, net] 6: most unlikely or unsuitable; "the last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job" 7: not to be altered or undone; "the judge's decision is final"; "the arbiter will have the last say" [syn: final] 8: lowest in rank or importance; "last prize"; "in last place" [syn: last-place, lowest] 9: highest in extent or degree; "to the last measure of human endurance"; "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually" [syn: utmost] 10: in accord with the most modern ideas or styles; "wears only the latest styles"; "the last thing in swimwear"; "always knows the newest dances"; "everything's up-to-date in Kansas City"; "up-to-date technology" [syn: latest, newest, up-to-date] 11: occurring at the time of death; "his last words"; "the last rites" n 1: the concluding time; "he awaited the grand finale"; "he stayed until the finish"; "he left before the conclusion" [syn: stopping point, finale, finis, finish, terminus, conclusion,close] 2: the last or lowest in an ordering or series; "he was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last" 3: a person's dying act; the last thing a person can do; "he breathed his last" 4: the end of life; continuing until dead; "he bled to death"; "a struggle to the last" [syn: death] 5: a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds 6: (British) a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels 7: the concluding part of an event or occurrence: "the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie" [syn: end] 8: a device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes [syn: shoemaker's last, cobbler's last] adv 1: more recently than any other time; "I saw him last in London" [syn: most recently] 2: the item at the end; "last, I'll discuss family values" [syn: lastly, in conclusion, finally] v 1: be long; in time [syn:endure] 2: continue to live, endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "The legend of Elvis lives on"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America" [syn: survive, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out] 3: persist or continue; "The rains lasted four days"

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

last

LAST: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2003 Mountain Data Systems

last

last in InvestorWords

Source: InvestorWords, © 2000 InvestorGuide.com, Inc.

last

last: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB
Old 11-28-03, 02:42 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,072 Times in 578 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
...and there you have it.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 11-28-03, 10:39 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
You are correct, sir.
Old 11-28-03, 08:09 PM
Forum Guru

jimmmaaa is on a distinguished road
I hope I can last this.....funny post

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
~Calvin Coolidge

“Never, never, never, never give up. “~Winston Churchill
Old 11-29-03, 10:05 AM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
My victory in this game shall out last all other posters!

: )
Old 11-29-03, 01:04 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
We are ALL winners......

But I am the (official, on paper, real honest to goodness)......

WINNER...........

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 12-02-03, 07:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
Who has the longest life expectancy?
Old 12-03-03, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

Salsa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by FlakeyGirl
Who has the longest life expectancy?
Perhaps this thread.
Old 12-03-03, 01:56 AM

suupanova is on a distinguished road
Guess this makes me the winner for right now
Old 12-03-03, 04:08 AM
Contributor

missing_cues is on a distinguished road
what....did I win....No? oh well, got a lightbulb to change
Old 12-03-03, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
being last has it advantages
Closed Thread