ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-11-19, 11:15 PM

Kamin> is on a distinguished road
Legally transporting Meds

I should have thought of this a long time ago.

I carry a small pill fob with medicine that might be needed, just in case. This includes ibuprofen and an extra capsule of my non-controlled prescription medicine, but the biggest need would be for ADHD meds: One Vyvanse in case I forget to take it (easily confirmed by my wife when I first suspect by checking the medicine case) and one adderall which my p-doc has prescribed for the occasions where I work late after the Vyvanse has worn off.

I called the pharmacist today to ask how to legally carry the ADHD meds when leaving the house. He said I should carry them in the original prescription bottle. I asked if they had small sized pharmacy-labelled bottles and he said no. It got more surreal when everyday OTC medicine made its way into the conversation. At the end of the call, I had images of spending the night in jail for getting pulled over with an aspirin that was not in its original bottle.

Of course using only original bottles would not only take up a ridiculous amount of sorely limited pocket real estate, carrying them would also provide a terrible environment for the medicine compared to inside a cabinet inside a climate controlled house.

1) Is it illegal to carry your own otherwise legitimate, physician prescribed Substance II meds on your person, but not in their original labelled prescriptions bottles?

2) What if you are picking up a family memberís prescription from the pharmacy or bringing them their medicine, even if they are in their bottle, but your name on your driverís license does not your sonís name on the bottle?

3) Is there a difference between carrying your ADHD med in an unlabelled container once you are able to document that it is a legitimate prescription for you, and carrying an unlabelled non-controlled med, once it has been identified as such?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamin> For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 11:26 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,344 Times in 10,767 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legally transporting Meds

I honestly do not know the details of legal transportation. Different states may have different rules.

I don't think that under normal circumstances you would be busted for possession/transport of normal quantities of a controlled substance that is legally prescribed to you, but I'm not sure that it's impossible. Of course, you need to be able to prove that it is legally prescribed to you, but I don't know if there are actually laws that mandate that you must carry medications in their original bottles -- that would just seem to me to be the easiest way to document that the meds are legally in your possession.

Certainly if you are in a position where you get pulled over, the fact that you have meds on you (or in you) can become an issue -- even, in some cases, if they are meds that you are supposed to be taking to make you a safer driver...

I share your question about transporting medications for family members. In some places, pharmacies may be unwilling or not allowed to hand meds to anyone other than the patient (or a legal guardian), but I think this may vary by state (and possibly also by the pharmacy's policy, or even who's on duty).

...But I can tell you what I have done...

Very often -- especially at big chain pharmacies -- there's a print-out that comes with the prescription that has drug info, and also a duplicate copy of the bottle label. I stick that duplicate copy of the bottle label into my wallet. Then I carry the meds in the pill organizer or pill case or pill fob that is most convenient.

I have traveled overseas this way, with 3 months' worth of stimulants organized in weekly pill organizers, which I stuck in a fabric lunch box with the labels. (Importantly, the meds were legal to bring into the country I was going.)

By keeping the paper labels with/near the pills, I could easily pull out the info if anyone asked. So far, no one has asked, and I have not had any problems at airports.

Again, this is only my experience and I cannot promise that some airport-security or law enforcement agent might not take exception to it.
Old 02-12-19, 05:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,063 Times in 15,336 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I do not know why your pharmacy would have said that to you. I asked my pharmacy to print another label and stick it to an empty bottle to carry in my purse and they gave me no issue. It is not against the law to have more than one bottle of the same prescription and it is the legal way to carry meds with you.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-12-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-19, 12:04 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I have a key fob pill case. I've been carrying it on my keychain for the better part of two years now, I've taken it into concerts, major sporting events, even through security at two major airports, and no one has ever so much as looked at it sideways let alone given me any grief about it.
namazu (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,816 Times in 12,514 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
I have a key fob pill case. I've been carrying it on my keychain for the better part of two years now, I've taken it into concerts, major sporting events, even through security at two major airports, and no one has ever so much as looked at it sideways let alone given me any grief about it.
Thank you. My family will be flying from Kansas to California next month and
three of us have several meds we take every day. I may take the leaflets with
my name and the date filled along as that wouldn't take so much room.

My big concern with taking the original bottles on a short trip is that they could
get lost and we might have to go several weeks until the next refill.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 06:41 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Also, some medications left in a hot car may lose potency.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 07:41 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,228 Times in 7,777 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always take a pic of my current Adderall prescription along with a photo of my medication bottle showing my name, date, medication name, pharmacy and my Dr’s name.

I don’t want to take my prescription bottle to work for several reasons. Theft and knowledge of my condition being the main concerns. I bring my medication in a ziplock bag and just enough for that day. Technically, I believe it’s illegal if it’s not in the original script bottle.

I just feel more comfortable knowing that I can easily prove they are mine if I have to. They can also follow up with my pharmacy and or Dr. for further verification if necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-13-19), namazu (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 11:03 PM

Kamin> is on a distinguished road

I like the ideas of extra labels and photo documentation or documentation you can carry in your wallet. I'm glad that this doesn't usually seem to be a big issue in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Thank you. My family will be flying from Kansas to California next month and
three of us have several meds we take every day. I may take the leaflets with
my name and the date filled along as that wouldn't take so much room.

My big concern with taking the original bottles on a short trip is that they could
get lost and we might have to go several weeks until the next refill.
If you do choose to carry the bottles, you could always bring them with only the supply you need for the trip in them, and leave the rest safely at home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamin> For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-13-19)
Old 02-12-19, 11:19 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,981 Times in 7,935 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to get this answered officially as well. It's something I've been wondering for a couple of years now.
I carry a couple adderalls and some ibuprofen in a small plastic pill holder in my front pocket almost everwhere I go.

I use to take the prescription printout that comes on the original bottle and put it on a piece of paper and carry that around in my pocket too...but I stopped doing that for some reason months ago. Maybe I should start doing this again.

I can't imagine taking my pills in the original bottles. They're way too big to carry around in my pockets.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-13-19)
Old 02-12-19, 11:28 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,228 Times in 7,777 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamin> View Post
I should have thought of this a long time ago.

I carry a small pill fob with medicine that might be needed, just in case. This includes ibuprofen and an extra capsule of my non-controlled prescription medicine, but the biggest need would be for ADHD meds: One Vyvanse in case I forget to take it (easily confirmed by my wife when I first suspect by checking the medicine case) and one adderall which my p-doc has prescribed for the occasions where I work late after the Vyvanse has worn off.

I called the pharmacist today to ask how to legally carry the ADHD meds when leaving the house. He said I should carry them in the original prescription bottle. I asked if they had small sized pharmacy-labelled bottles and he said no. It got more surreal when everyday OTC medicine made its way into the conversation. At the end of the call, I had images of spending the night in jail for getting pulled over with an aspirin that was not in its original bottle.

Of course using only original bottles would not only take up a ridiculous amount of sorely limited pocket real estate, carrying them would also provide a terrible environment for the medicine compared to inside a cabinet inside a climate controlled house.

1) Is it illegal to carry your own otherwise legitimate, physician prescribed Substance II meds on your person, but not in their original labelled prescriptions bottles?

2) What if you are picking up a family memberís prescription from the pharmacy or bringing them their medicine, even if they are in their bottle, but your name on your driverís license does not your sonís name on the bottle?

3) Is there a difference between carrying your ADHD med in an unlabelled container once you are able to document that it is a legitimate prescription for you, and carrying an unlabelled non-controlled med, once it has been identified as such?
I also used to fill my old bottle with my new script. Then, I would keep the empty new script bottle in my car. I would have my meds. for the day in my pocket. Unfortunately, the crappy thermal labels on the bottle donít last too long in S. FL in the car. After a mos. or less the label is completely white with no way of identifying it. They even start to fade away in the house just from handling.

If, I took my bottle with me everyday, thereís no way, it would be legible by the end of the month. Maybe, itís because I get my script filled at Costco.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,816 Times in 12,514 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamin> View Post
I like the ideas of extra labels and photo documentation or documentation you can carry in your wallet. I'm glad that this doesn't usually seem to be a big issue in practice.

If you do choose to carry the bottles, you could always bring them with only the supply you need for the trip in them, and leave the rest safely at home.
I think I'm going to do the photo thing. Since I didn't save any of the old bottles
when I got home I wouldn't know which meds to put back in which bottles.

edit ... all done.
I took one pill from the bottle and took a photo of it next to the bottle.
Did that with all the bottles. Even the vitamins.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by Lunacie; 02-13-19 at 12:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-13-19)
Old 02-18-19, 10:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I think there's a difference between what controlled substances laws could theoretically mandate versus what reasonable interpretation would be. Hopefully, as long as you take reasonable steps to ensure that you can identify yourself as the lawful owner of the controlled substance, you should be fine. That's what law enforcement cares about, and that's the purpose of the controlled substance act.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-18-19), psychopathetic (02-19-19)