ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 06-10-12, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

starrykitten will become famous soon enough
ADD and PMS

Probably been asked a bunch of times on the forum, but I'm asking again. How does ADD affect your PMS? (Or vice versa, I guess I should say.)

I didn't realize I was PMSing and had a couple days of lethargy. Yesterday I got out of the house determined to get things done, but I could not focus at all. I spent most of my time looking at books or projects and then losing interest. Does PMS ramp up your ADD symptoms, or was this just a fluke?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starrykitten For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (12-25-12), JazzGirl (12-15-12), Raye (01-18-13), starry (01-18-13)
Old 06-11-12, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

choco222 is on a distinguished road
Re: ADD and PMS

I've noticed my concentration is much better (when on meds that is) a few days before ovulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to choco222 For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (12-25-12)
Old 06-16-12, 08:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,822 Times in 15,212 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard for me to tell really...I will say that during my time of the month i sometimes wonder if I even took meds at all.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-25-12), crystal8080 (06-25-12), hanikamiya (12-25-12), Raye (01-18-13), starry (01-18-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-12, 03:11 PM

ladykrimson has a spectacular aura aboutladykrimson has a spectacular aura about

Estrogen and progesterone have a HUGE impact on ADHD symptoms. Here is a really great article:

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/5245.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladykrimson For This Useful Post:
dasikins (03-01-13), hanikamiya (12-25-12)
Old 06-17-12, 03:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think it does. I was having a similar experience to you - being more fatigued, less productive and less inclined and able to get stuff done - but forgetting to factor in legitimate physical reasons for it and therefore not giving myself the pass I was actually entitled to. So I was beating myself up for it when I shouldn't have been. I wasn't PMSing but actually menstruating - for the second time in less than three weeks, oddly. So I was an emotional wreck at times this week.
hanikamiya (12-25-12), Slo-mo a-go-go (06-17-12), _z_o_e_ (02-25-13)
Old 06-17-12, 04:28 PM
Contributor

Slo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the roughSlo-mo a-go-go is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
Yeah, I think it does. I was having a similar experience to you - being more fatigued, less productive and less inclined and able to get stuff done - but forgetting to factor in legitimate physical reasons for it and therefore not giving myself the pass I was actually entitled to. So I was beating myself up for it when I shouldn't have been. I wasn't PMSing but actually menstruating - for the second time in less than three weeks, oddly. So I was an emotional wreck at times this week.
Good gosh yes!

3yrs, I started to keep a log of my cycle and brain fogginess level(well I average 6 out of 12months but hey ADHD here) & there's a definite correlation. i know to expect that my stim meds aren't going to feel like they're working. So great knowing to not delve into that huge pile of stuff to be "organizing" during that time.

I was a miserable lump when my period was 3 weeks late, felt like I was stuck in that pms fog for almost a month. I was getting worried but then boom- period- feel great again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slo-mo a-go-go For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (12-25-12), hanikamiya (12-25-12)
Old 06-25-12, 12:30 AM

Thanked 1,373 Times in 901 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I can be of much help with this.
Raye (01-18-13), starry (01-18-13)
Old 12-04-12, 06:49 AM

Thanked 5,333 Times in 2,320 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Meds don't work and I feel like throttling someone - anyone. I need a volunteer!
hanikamiya (12-25-12), Raye (01-18-13), starry (01-18-13)
Old 12-04-12, 01:07 PM

zaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nicezaleladra is just really nice

I find I'm already fairly quick to react emotionally, but when PMSing it's so much worse. I don't have as much control of it as I would like.

The forgetfulness, brain fogginess, etc. is something I have learned to live with and I haven't actively noticed it much anymore therefore I don't notice if it's getting worse around those times of the month.

I'm also not regular... so it's very unpredictable.
Old 12-13-12, 07:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

TortoiseShell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaleladra View Post
I find I'm already fairly quick to react emotionally, but when PMSing it's so much worse. I don't have as much control of it as I would like.

The forgetfulness, brain fogginess, etc. is something I have learned to live with and I haven't actively noticed it much anymore therefore I don't notice if it's getting worse around those times of the month.

I'm also not regular... so it's very unpredictable.
I'm with you....and a few others who've mentioned this.
But now that I'm approaching 43, I may actually be in perimenopause but I am all over the place most of the time with PMS (and has gotten worse since having kids); however, this month I'm surprisingly "levelled off" though notably "out of sorts"...even kind of light-headed the past few days, which I'm guessing is the perimenopause. Will be needing to talk with you'all over these upcoming years, I'm sure. I've got an appt with a midwife/new OBGYN this coming Tuesday, so I'll let you know if I learn anything new!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseShell For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (12-25-12), Sugar8 (01-18-13)
Old 12-13-12, 07:47 PM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Meds hardly work at all. I feel like I've become suddenly SCT, and I might have a couple days of extreme hyperactivity. I can become really close minded on some days and on others be the opposite.

I have PMDD and either want to kill myself or people around me. It's not always that bad though. I just have to keep it under control. However, on meds today, and I can't bring myself to do anything. There suddenly is a lot of stress to deal with though.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (12-25-12)
Old 12-13-12, 08:59 PM

Thanked 26,377 Times in 12,312 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseShell View Post
I'm with you....and a few others who've mentioned this.
But now that I'm approaching 43, I may actually be in perimenopause but I am all over the place most of the time with PMS (and has gotten worse since having kids); however, this month I'm surprisingly "levelled off" though notably "out of sorts"...even kind of light-headed the past few days, which I'm guessing is the perimenopause. Will be needing to talk with you'all over these upcoming years, I'm sure. I've got an appt with a midwife/new OBGYN this coming Tuesday, so I'll let you know if I learn anything new!
I highly recommend a couple of authors on these topics.

PMS/ADHD connection:
Sari Solden, "Women With Attention Defecit Disorder."

Peri-Menopause:
Dr. John Lee, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause."
Actually he's written several good books about hormonal fluctuations in
women.

I wish I'd found these books when I was in my early 40's and starting to
go through peri-menopause. There were several things I could have done
to make it smoother, and I would have understood a lot more.

But my doctor at the time refused to give me a blood test to check my
hormone levels, he said I was too young. Didn't listen when I told him
my aunt was all done with menopause by the time she was 45.

Grrr, I hate doctors who don't listen to us!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (12-25-12), hanikamiya (12-25-12), TortoiseShell (12-14-12)
Old 12-13-12, 09:11 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

Taking meds during my time of the month is like taking a p*** in the ocean. Like Sarah said, sometimes I have to ask myself if I remembered to take my pill that day.

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do -Space Oddity
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
dasikins (02-28-13), hanikamiya (12-25-12), InkyMarie (12-25-12), JazzGirl (12-15-12), Raye (01-18-13), starry (01-18-13)
Old 12-13-12, 09:44 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all

Estrogen helps with ADHD symptoms: http://www.addvance.com/help/women/hormones.html

I know some folks bump up their dose of stimulant meds around the time of their period, when estrogen levels are taking a nosedive, with their pdoc's blessing.
hanikamiya (12-25-12), InkyMarie (12-25-12)
Old 12-14-12, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

TortoiseShell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuregeek View Post
Estrogen helps with ADHD symptoms: http://www.addvance.com/help/women/hormones.html

I know some folks bump up their dose of stimulant meds around the time of their period, when estrogen levels are taking a nosedive, with their pdoc's blessing.
No kidding?! Interesting....I'll have to check into that on down the road.
personally I have noticed that antidepressant/vyvance for the ADD was running perfectly smoothly until the week of PMS, then BAM!
My system feels completely screwed up and as Spacemaster so eloquently put it:

Quote:
Taking meds during my time of the month is like taking a p*** in the ocean.
Exactly!

Right now I"m "going natural", as in relying heavily on chocolate products....plus caffeine for the memory; but to date, a 12 cup pot of strong coffee/day doesn't do squat, so just waiting for when the hormone levels dropoff--should be interesting! (right now I'm calm but everything's all bloated and tingly and crampy...and I haven't even hit PMS week yet).

So starrykitten, that's why I've been here a LOT the past few days. Am completely tired, crampy, tired, cannot focus on a stinkin' thing (except for these posts, so I keep reading and writing them) Been forcing myself to do errands in between. I was beginning to wonder what was wrong with me until I saw your thread, so thank you...and thank you all for your added input!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseShell For This Useful Post:
amberwillow (12-25-12), hanikamiya (12-25-12), Spacemaster (12-27-12)