ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-04, 10:32 AM

SonWithAdhd is on a distinguished road
patience, tolerance & control (or lack of)

I feel like most times I'm limited on the amount of patience & tolerance I have. I like to be in control of the situation & to sit back & watch without jumping in is difficult oftentimes. In dealing with the daily frustrations of an ADHD son, my patience dwindles quick, especially if I'm grumpy to start with & the end result is I lose it & the battle of wills begins.

For everyone that goes through this regularly... what have you found that works? Whether dealing with my son on such battling matters or just for me personally, in dealing with frustration, lack of patience & tolerance & the feeling of losing control? How do you keep your cool?

Me-No problems-will be 30 in April.
Son-Now 7, Dx age 5 1/2, ADHD-hyperactive/impulsive, no LD or BD or OCD or ODD that we're aware of
Daughter-no problems-3 1/2
Amazingly Wonderful hubby of 8 years.
Hubby & his 2 brothers-history of undiagnosed ADHD-impulsive-no meds ever
Old 03-09-04, 04:10 PM
Contributor

MRB is on a distinguished road
I think first of all you may want to consider the fact that you are probably dealing with situations that are more extreme than the "average" stressful situation, and since American life has gotten pretty stressful in general, I'd say that's pretty extreme.

You may find some of the tips in Lynn Weiss' "View from the Cliff" helpful. Even though it's written for an adult audience that's "highly sensitive" (she tends to be reluctant to label with the formal diagnosis; she has an ADHD son and I think she thinks the label can be stigmatizing), she deals with things from a cognitive/behavioral standpoint, and as such you may find some tips as to how to think about things differently and so to handle them differently.

Finally, think about your own diet. From what I understand, stress depletes our bodies' (and brains') stores of essential fatty acids and vitamins B and C in particular. I have certainly found that by making sure I supplement with those, that I can deal with the madness swirling in my life better than I can without them.

Best of luck.
Old 03-09-04, 04:19 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,632 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
How to be patient, tolerant and maintain self control. Sounds like a self-help course

One big problem that we ADDers face is poor impulse control. Saying something in the heat of the moment is a good example of that.

One trick I have started to use is to take a deep breath and HOLD IT for a few seconds, then slowly let it out. Its amazing how that simple act can break your momentum and give you precious time to think before you speak/jump/leap/etc.

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-04, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I have also found in extremely high stress situation's that I separate the children from myself. Telling them "I love you but we need to go to our room's until we settle down. Sometimes, you HAVE to walk away or you may end up saying something you will regret for a very, very long time.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 03-20-04, 01:09 PM
Contributor

MRB is on a distinguished road
BIG -

That's a great tip. I'm embarrassed that something so simple and potentially effective has escaped my attention (pun intended) for THIS MANY YEARS.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-04, 03:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
That's a keeper Big.. gracias!
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?