ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-04-03, 04:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Pms

Does anybody know if women with ADD get worse cases of PMS than women who don't have ADD?

LADY-X from livingwithadd.com
PMS AND ADD? Posted 10-9-2002 17:26

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't get the emotional stuff (only once every 10
or 11 months) but I make up for it in cramps that
would kill a horse. Good question though I'm
wondering if that has any effect since we are all
very different chemically than non-add'ers.

Donna AKA X

djb [guest] from livingwithadd.com
PMS Posted 12-5-2002 18:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi. Just visiting - just found this message board. But this was discussed on another message board, a woman there had done a research project, or was part of one, and had found that the onset of perimenopause sort of pushed the ADD symptoms in women into overdrive. I also believe Sari Solden's book Women With Attention Deficit Disorder also states a relationship with hormones increasing symptoms - I put that together easily with PMS, the changing hormone levels before menstruation would have an effect on us. And it seemed to hold pretty true with my experience and experience of others I knew...... It sort of helps point in a direction to try to find coping mechanisms to put in place to deal with that better too, which is life from here on, right? djb

marti from livingwithadd.com
pms Posted 2-6-2003 17:36

Everything that I've read, having a teenage daughter..16 yrs old... with add without hyperactivity, and myself....49 and diagnoised a few years ago with add without hyperactivity..I can say without a doubt the yes pms is worse in women with add than those without. One of my best friends also is an adder and she said that with her pms eventhough she took her meds it was like she wasn't taking them...and then I started to pay attention to it and she was right. And as for the perimenapuse...it is a new ballgame so to speak. There has been a definate link to add and hormones and some of the experts are saying that that is the reason so many women in their 40's are being diagnoised with add now

BRATdezigns [guest] from livingwithadd.com
pms Posted 2-10-2003 08:10

I'm 23 and have ADHD. My husband would say I have perpetual PMS year-round and super PMS once a month. Before having children I had terrible cramps, aches and pains, and sensitivity to light, sounds, and touches as well as emotion attacks. "That time of the month" was known as hell week. After having kids I didn't have the cramps anymore, and there were less problems with sensitivity....but the emotion attacks were much much worse. I had my tubes tied last year...so now the pain is back (though not as bad sometimes)...and I still ride an emotional roller coaster. I would say that I am an basket case year-round and an absolute emotional disaster once a month. My husband has learned to leave me alone during that time. Just looking at me cross-eyed might set me off. I'm on adderall now...and as long as I remember to take my meds, I'm not too bad. Oh....don't forget the extra strength midol pms pills, plenty of peace and quiet and a bag of chocolate
The Following User Says Thank You to Tara For This Useful Post:
leapofaith (11-30-09)
Old 04-09-03, 03:04 PM

luvnhim is on a distinguished road
HI, from what I have been told... The PMS can be worse... the cramps shouldn't be. The body controls them diffrently. If the cramps are really bad, and you don't have that much PMS talk to your Dr. about endometriosis. That is a big reason for HORIBBLE cramps, that can be treated- although not cured. But it's ok.

HTH,
Jessica
Old 04-09-03, 04:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
I do know that the night before my period my bp flares badly in that Im irritable because I get confused easily. i dont understand what it is people are asking me, I hear the words but they arent making sense etc. I snap and cry angrily
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-03, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Oh my gosh yes. I have had trouble with the law on 3 different occasions on account of this. It was all before my ADHD/OCD/TS diagnosis. I actually hurt someone and was so astounded by what I had done that I went to my regular primary care doctor. He placed me on Trazadone and that was in 1992. I was on that same medication until December 2002.

I seem to get the feeling of being more closed in. Everything also seems much louder to me.

But one thing I had to do was learn to recognize what was going on and if I found myself in a conforting situtation, I had to make myself stop, and turn around, and walk away.
Old 04-19-03, 10:58 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I think my gift of empathy seem to get lost while I have PMS. Usually I'm a very caring person but during those few days sometime I could just care less about others.
Old 04-24-03, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

misclee is on a distinguished road
I never really had PMS until I had my daughter...then all Hell broke loose! After tryiing several different things, I was ultimately put on Wellbutrin which worked very well for me. Come to find out, Wellbutrin is used for ADD so maybe that's why?
Old 04-24-03, 02:47 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Yes, I'm not a very nice person either around mine...meds or no meds...PLUS I get the case of the hungry horrors...just before, which makes it worse....Usually just when I get it, I want to shut the door to my bedroom and sing a rendition of "make the world go away" until the worst of it is over....(and don't get me wrong -- I'm usually a very nice person.. )

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 05-26-03, 09:02 AM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I believe it does.....I take Zoloft to help me handle my PMS and Wellbutrin for my ADD and to counteract the sex troubles I get with the Zoloft. With out these meds. I'm a mess 3 weeks out of the month.

Paula
Old 06-01-03, 12:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

sixes has disabled reputation
I think PMS makes my ADD worse. It is hard enough trying to focus on a regular day. But when I cramp and feel all weepy or my head starts hurting it gets even worse. And I know it's PMS cause I always feel weepy.
Old 06-16-03, 09:09 PM

Overload is on a distinguished road
PMS makes my ADD 20 times worse than normal. I get *extremely* confused and make a complete laughing stock of myself.

I don't understand what is said OR read easily. When reading, I need to go over it a FEW times before I get it.
Old 06-25-03, 09:54 PM

Cait is on a distinguished road
Well, I can certainly relate - and woe betide the poor soul who gets in my way for the day or two when I am at my most irritable! I do take Zoloft for a variety of reasons & up the dose for a week or so to help counteract the PMS - which DOES help. But I think very little could help the fact that it seems that for just a few days - my Concerta (for ADD) seems to be near useless. (Not completely - but I would question if I had even taken it - if I didn't know for a fact that I had). Take yesterday, for instance - very irritable, cranky, definitely weepy & overreacting to minor things.
Today, was worse!!! I left my house this morning for work forgetting several KEY things:
Sub Plans (I'm a teacher & I had training all day)
Tampons (sorry to put this here - but you can see the importance of this item!) I already had to buy a new box yesterday while at work because I forgot to bring any. I then left that box at home & forgot them again! (am I going crazy, or what???) So at lunch - guess where I was? The store, buying yet ANOTHER box!!!!
Let's see, what else did I forget - I forgot to leave some materials for the sub, so during a break, I had to run upstairs to my class & find it for her. And then forgot my water bottle (after walking downstairs), so made at least 2 more return trips for things I forgot.
During my inservice today - I was even MORE fidgety than normal - in fact, I found myself starting to tap my pencil on my book LOUDLY! (I was so embarrassed!). They didn't give us as many breaks as usual, so it was really torturous. I kept staring out the window. Still feeling overly sensitive about stuff. I can't wait for tomorrow or the day after that - I can get back to normal!
I swear - it felt like I had all this antsy-ness & energy racing around my body. I hate that feeling. I could do without the extra forgetfulness!
So, yeah, I think PMS affects my meds & my ADD, definitely!
Old 07-05-03, 08:13 PM

Alison is on a distinguished road
Has anyone talked to the doctor about going on birth control for three months straight? I did this last march and I have not had 1 PMS symptom since. Even on my one week off the pill...everything went smoothly!

-A
Old 07-06-03, 02:46 PM

Cait is on a distinguished road
not sure if this is what you meant Alison, but I've been on birth control pills for over 5 years now. The certianly help with the physical symptoms, and I appreciate knowing ahead of time when I can "expect" that 4th week to be, but I still have a week or several days of intermittent irritablility/moodiness/ pessimisticness depending on how much sleep I'm getting, current environment, etc.
Old 07-06-03, 03:27 PM

Alison is on a distinguished road
Cait,

When I finish one pill pack, I start the next directly....I don't take the sugar pills. I do this for three packs in a row before taking one week off. So I am going nine weeks before I have a period. As it turned out, when I took the week off, I never got a period anyway. The doctor said it is normal to have a very light period, or no period at all when you are on the pill for the extended time. Talk to your doctor about it if you are having awful PMS troubles. As I said....I haven't had a single PMS symptom since I started!

-A
Old 07-10-03, 08:09 PM

Our hormones do affect the medication. Some of the new reasearch suggests stimulants react better when there is more estrogen in our systems and less effective when there is more progesterone. PMS is a time when estrogen is down and progesterone is up.

The books Understanding Women with AD/HD and Gender Issues and AD/HD: Research, Diagnosis, and Treatment both discuss hormones and medication.
leapofaith (11-30-09)