ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-17, 10:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 18,815 Times in 10,024 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working Memory Training -- Plasticity

The best working memory training I ever found was going to college.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-23-17), Letching Gray (01-23-17)
Old 01-20-17, 11:36 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
The only thing that comes to mind atm is that thing with LUMINOSITY, I forget exactly if they were fined or something but they were investigated and found that there was little to no science to back up their claims and the way they advertised their product and services so they got in trouble. Doesnt seem to matter though because everytime I listen to NPR I hear about the same claims when they sponsor a segment.
Exactly. I've heard the same ads and the same information about their claims being unsubstantiated. But, having read some more about the kinds of results others have documented, published by the finest universities in the world, I'm hopeful there's a chance we may, in fact, be able to increase our WM and use those improvements across the board.

Scientists do know that certain chemicals enhance brain function on the neuronal level. There's widespread agreement on that. We know that we can isolate and exercise, by repeated use, specific parts of our brains. It is logical they would somehow "learn" to adapt or adjust to the increased load. Our bodies do that all the time.

The brain is pretty smart! Why couldn't it figure out that an area under constant strain-for an hour a day, say, during WM training-needs some reinforcements, a boost of additional synapses and axons to help carry the load? I kind of think it can and we're on the verge of a breakthrough in understanding and improving our powers of cognition.
Old 01-23-17, 02:50 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

I notice doing worse on "Concentration" games over time during one sitting. I do better the first few games I play and then my brain seems to poop out if do more. Fascinating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-23-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-17, 12:18 PM

Thanked 23,645 Times in 10,931 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
I notice doing worse on "Concentration" games over time during one sitting. I do better the first few games I play and then my brain seems to poop out if do more. Fascinating.
I'm like this with most games, and really anything I do.

At first it's interesting and I get really involved and do well enough to continue.

Then I get frustrated because I'm not improving quickly enough. *sigh*

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-24-17)
Old 01-23-17, 02:20 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,350 Times in 744 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

I am going to try this and I'll let you know how it goes.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-16-17), Letching Gray (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 02:49 AM
Banned

Interestingly, (because it should be obvious) I see a connection between my impulsive drive to hurry through the game (ADHD) the lack of spending enough time on each figure to allow it to sink in, and doing poorly. Or, IOW, inattentiveness whatever is causing it, is at least a component in my WM problems. I've got to direct and hold my attention long enough first on each "turning over" of the flap, which reveals what's on the other side, to have a shot a recalling it. If I don't do that, I can't expect to be able to match it. DUH!! I know, but if I wasn't getting help for my ADHD, I wouldn't have noticed this.

Taking my eye off the tennis ball before striking it, sabotages my best effort to get it over the net. If I fail to get it over the net, I lose. That simple.
Old 01-24-17, 03:28 AM
Banned

The more reading I do, the more I find research that supports the principle that exercising WM pays dividends. They are fine tuning experiments to understand precisely what is happening, how much time is needed per day practicing, how often each week and for how many weeks and they are examining which questions are relevant.
Old 01-26-17, 08:01 AM
Banned

I can play solitaire virtually forever. "Concentration" exhausts me in minutes. I used to play ball. Whenever I found an exercise or type of weight lifting getting under my skin, I learned to focus on it. It wasn't what I enjoyed or what kind of work-out that didn't bother me that needed improvement, as much as those that revealed weaknesses. This "Concentration' game gets on my nerves and it always did. Never put 2 plus 2 together, before. I've got my work cut out for me.
Old 04-12-17, 01:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
I can play solitaire virtually forever. "Concentration" exhausts me in minutes. I used to play ball. Whenever I found an exercise or type of weight lifting getting under my skin, I learned to focus on it. It wasn't what I enjoyed or what kind of work-out that didn't bother me that needed improvement, as much as those that revealed weaknesses. This "Concentration' game gets on my nerves and it always did. Never put 2 plus 2 together, before. I've got my work cut out for me.

Practice, practice, practice. More practice. Guys with traumatic brain injuries have developed mental faculties they never knew they had and showed no interest in. Virtuosos.
Old 04-12-17, 03:34 AM

Thanked 27,299 Times in 12,674 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to play spider solitaire for hours. It would drive me absolutely crazy because I thought I was easting time doing something that's mildly amusing at beat rather than doing something that's useful or lots of fun but requires me to shift my attention.

As far as I know working memory is fixed to either 4 or 7 items at a time (I've seen both). You can't really increase that but you can learn more efficient ways of chunking: grouping things so they form one item. That's a skill that might be transferable in terms of memorising different types of lists but if it would also help while doing completely different tasks that require wm (eg arithmetic) im not sure. From what I've learnt no it wouldn't.

I wonder if working memory can be improved to 4 (or 7) items if you have adhd.
Old 04-13-17, 11:45 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,630 Times in 6,088 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post

I wonder if working memory can be improved to 4 (or 7) items if you have adhd.
I think so and possibly more if all those items are shiny, very interesting or memorable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-14-17)