ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-18, 09:10 PM

GVEADD is on a distinguished road
46 years of age and looking for others advice on managing ADD.

Hello, I am writing this looking for those with ADD that have been able to mange their daily life. I am going on 14 months of finding out that my past lack of motivation, irresponsibility, and being undisciplined, is all due to having a 'hunter gatherer' brain.

I am the typical male that was never diagnosed with it (lost many jobs, lost many friends, and near being homeless), trying to deal with knowing that it really was not me but just how my brain process events. I just have to figure out how to work with this type of brain, and stop feeling bad for all of the wasted time that has passed (if I only knew decades ago).

Since I lost my last job, yeah shocker, I was able to get unemployment (only six months that ran out in February) and get in school through unemployment (MCSA, CCNA). I was also able to start seeing a psychiatrist and get prescribe meds. The only problem with the medication is that the meds worked great the first week and a half, but has never been back to that level since. I am using Vyvanse and started at 30 mg, now at 50 mg., but still minor results. The level of focus while reading, and the motivation to get up and plan for my future (even going through these tough times) was great the first week and a half, but has never came back to that level. I am now going on a little over two months of being on it.

Please help with advice because it sucks being this age and still living like I am a somewhat irresponsible 19 year. I am so tired of being at this low level at life, but long term planing is not in me naturally (the meds in the beginning let me see that). Which sucks because I am a hard worker when it comes to other peoples job (meaning whatever type of employment I happen to have). But turn into a log when it comes to something I know I need to do to better my future. Shoot I can not even plan for two weeks away from now because I know I will completely forget about it, concentrating on some trivial crap in my daily life.

Since my friends are having very successful lives, they are no longer around. So I come to this forum looking for help from others that might have been able to manage and strive with this type of brain.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can give me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GVEADD For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (04-12-18), daveddd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-12-18), stef (04-04-18)
Old 04-01-18, 09:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,538 Times in 846 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 46 years of age and looking for others advice on managing ADD.

Go back to your doc and try another med. Many of us have to try several different meds until we find one that works. Depression is also a very common co-morbid condition that can be treated. Maybe that is going on too?

Philly has a lot of resources for adults with ADHD. Look up:

The Penn ADHD Treatment & Research Program. I wish my city had this!!

-CHADD Philadelphia

-Meetup Philadelphia ADHD .

It is so helpful to meet with others who understand what we go through!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-12-18), daveddd (04-03-18), GVEADD (04-03-18), Kunga Dorji (04-15-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-12-18), QueensU_girl (04-12-18)
Old 04-03-18, 10:02 PM

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,202 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I would also get to a really good therapist if that's at all possible.

There are all kinds of ingrained patterns that over time simply become habits ... and we can't see them ... If you have ADHD, you want to do everything you can to make your life work ... and you want to minimize all other emotional and psychological issues ... because ADHD is enough of an issue.

It helps to have someone you talk to weekly with whom you can set goals ... and explore ways of changing your life. Don't get me wrong. Go for the meds, and yes, you will have to go through the trial-and-error process that most people go through.

There are many other ADHD medications beside Vyvanse ... One, you have some dosage room to go up with the Vyvanse ... but you have a lot of other medications to try ...

Find some friend ... someone you can talk to about your life ... someone who gets you ... but who doesn't humiliate you ...

It helps to reset the timeline button ... change doesn't come in a day or a week ... but keep working at change ... and with luck, you can do it ... I've been lucky in that several medications have worked ... and I got lots of help from therapy because I had to ... because I also had a depression problem.

Oh man, you got a psychiatrist in Philly? .... they are hard to find--at least the ones who take insurance ....

Also make sure you don't have any depression or anxiety going on ... those can mimic ADHD in destroying motivation and energy and focus.

Tone

Last edited by ToneTone; 04-03-18 at 10:22 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-03-18), GVEADD (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-12-18), QueensU_girl (04-12-18), stef (04-04-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-18, 10:08 PM

Thanked 11,207 Times in 5,474 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVEADD View Post
Hello, I am writing this looking for those with ADD that have been able to mange their daily life. I am going on 14 months of finding out that my past lack of motivation, irresponsibility, and being undisciplined, is all due to having a 'hunter gatherer' brain.

I am the typical male that was never diagnosed with it (lost many jobs, lost many friends, and near being homeless), trying to deal with knowing that it really was not me but just how my brain process events. I just have to figure out how to work with this type of brain, and stop feeling bad for all of the wasted time that has passed (if I only knew decades ago).

Since I lost my last job, yeah shocker, I was able to get unemployment (only six months that ran out in February) and get in school through unemployment (MCSA, CCNA). I was also able to start seeing a psychiatrist and get prescribe meds. The only problem with the medication is that the meds worked great the first week and a half, but has never been back to that level since. I am using Vyvanse and started at 30 mg, now at 50 mg., but still minor results. The level of focus while reading, and the motivation to get up and plan for my future (even going through these tough times) was great the first week and a half, but has never came back to that level. I am now going on a little over two months of being on it.

Please help with advice because it sucks being this age and still living like I am a somewhat irresponsible 19 year. I am so tired of being at this low level at life, but long term planing is not in me naturally (the meds in the beginning let me see that). Which sucks because I am a hard worker when it comes to other peoples job (meaning whatever type of employment I happen to have). But turn into a log when it comes to something I know I need to do to better my future. Shoot I can not even plan for two weeks away from now because I know I will completely forget about it, concentrating on some trivial crap in my daily life.

Since my friends are having very successful lives, they are no longer around. So I come to this forum looking for help from others that might have been able to manage and strive with this type of brain.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can give me.
i feel your pain , planning for the future and keeping a goal is called executive function , its the basis of our impairment

there are ways you can make minor improvements look around different threads and keep posting here. probably the most valuable ADHD information in a single location on the internet

many here share your issues, i wish there was a magic potion i could tell you about, meds help some in some things
GVEADD (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 10:55 PM

Thanks all for the fast reply, and the advice. Still more I want out of life so I have to do my best to work on this especially since I now know what it is. So much money spent on self-help books, hypnosis, and NLP, just to find out it is my brain (hahahaha). Thanks for the advice and I truly mean that at this time in my life.

Last edited by GVEADD; 04-03-18 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Wanted to do a quick reply, hit the wrong tag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GVEADD For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (04-12-18), ToneTone (04-04-18)
Old 04-03-18, 11:09 PM

Finally Found 10:Thanks, doing research on those programs and others that the city offers. Yeah, depression is part but I can handle that since it is more circumstantial (unemployed) than chemical like others I have met in life. Thank you.

daveadd: Thanks to you also, will definitely search through this site, my instincts keep telling me, so I have to listen that voice. Also, I love that song you have the lyrics posted for. Something made me read it and at first I'm thinking is is some famous quote by MLK. Yeah, I WILL BE HEARD, is a great song when you need that extra push to keep fighting. Thanks.

Last edited by GVEADD; 04-03-18 at 11:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GVEADD For This Useful Post:
daveddd (04-04-18)
Old 04-04-18, 10:58 AM

Tone Tone: Thank you sir...yeah getting a psychiatrist in Philly is hard, as I'm sure you know. And yes you are very fortunate to have others to talk to about this because there still is a strong stigma against this subject. Sh*t, I was ignorant about this subject before, thinking kids with ADD are just knuckle head kids that want attention. To now realize I was one of those I deemed as wanting attention. But, thank you for the advise, it really is appreciated.
Old 04-12-18, 01:37 PM

Thanked 1,016 Times in 639 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Goal setting with a therapist, life coach, etc. e.g

By 'goals', I mean: Do you want a job, college (even one course at a time), to develop some kind of skill, financial goals, etc?

Look into groups on MeetUp, as well. There may be an Adult ADD one.

Philly is big. There should be some things for you.
Old 04-12-18, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
I just have to figure out how to work with this type of brain, and stop feeling bad for all of the wasted time that has passed (if I only knew decades ago).
Sorry to hear that. It's extremely common to struggle with that emotional pain. I wish I had a more useful answer that I could give you!

Quote:
The only problem with the medication is that the meds worked great the first week and a half, but has never been back to that level since. I am using Vyvanse and started at 30 mg, now at 50 mg., but still minor results. The level of focus while reading, and the motivation to get up and plan for my future (even going through these tough times) was great the first week and a half, but has never came back to that level. I am now going on a little over two months of being on it.
IMO, ADHD medication should be used to help with focus, not for motivation. It's common for a new medication, or an increase in dose, to temporarily increase energy/motivation, but this normally isn't sustainable. Though others on this forum might have different experiences/opinion.

Maybe you could ask your psych for some Adderall or Dexedrine IR tablets to combine with the Vyvanse in order to provide yourself with more dosing flexibility as you try to determine your optimal doses.

Quote:
Seems like you need a therapist/coach/adviser. Find someone you trust, and RELIGIOUSLY OBEY their advice!

Quote:
A friend who leaves you *solely* because you're not successful is not a true friend. On the other hand, perhaps you did specific things that hurt the friendship? If it's the latter, a true friend will come back if you apologize.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
GVEADD (04-22-18), Little Nut (04-13-18)
Old 04-13-18, 10:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,462 Times in 14,484 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Make a list of what has happened in the past and how you felt.
Make another for what has happened recently/in the present and how you feel.
Make another for what you want and expect from yourself, other people and your goals .
Think about your list on the past. But an x or _____ through never item. Scribble it out. Now let it go...you saw it, thought about it and no longer need it or allow it to rent space in your head-throw it away.

Look at the present. are their past things creeping over and into your present list? Do they get in the way? Do any of the present things seem to match up with your goals/future list. Can matching them up destroy the fear and anxiety around them?

I found this process cathartic and useful.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
GVEADD (04-22-18)