ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 04-07-09, 05:00 PM

Zygor is on a distinguished road
Urinary side effects

I quit Concerta after using it for 2 months because I developed a strange symptom where it felt like I had to urinate all the time and sometimes felt like I WAS urinating when I wasn't. This was really bothersome so I switched off of it, and now nothing I've tried seems to work as well as far as focus and concentration goes. Have any of you experienced this? What did you do?
Old 04-08-09, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

crashbang is on a distinguished road
Re: Urinary side effects

You sure you did not have a urinary tract infection that just happened to clear itself up? I ask because you mention sometimes it felt like you were peeing , but you were not. Classic sign of urgency in regards to UTI's.

However, more frequent peeing is a noted side effect many users mention through out the boards. So it's common.
Old 04-08-09, 12:34 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

I have had the "feels like I gotta pee" effect on stimulant meds, however I have not had the feeling I was peeing when I wasn't

I just started Adderall (another stimulant), and was on dexedrine 24 years ago for 10 years (damn Im old)

If you dont have a UTI, I suggest holding your pee as long as you can everyonce in a while to not only streach out your bladder, but to get usted to just how long you can wait once you feel the urge. dont give in untill it squrits. You will be surprised just how long you can hold it.

Thats what I am having to do to get back on stimulant meds.

PS: I really really gotta pee right now!!!!!

Last edited by Old School MBD; 04-08-09 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: HD-ADD
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 02:05 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

Then try your "manly endevor" after you finally pee, and you will be very satisfied with the results.

Last edited by Old School MBD; 04-08-09 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: HD-ADD
Old 04-18-09, 06:29 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this has happened to me. I created a similar thread awhile back called Ejaculate and burns.

The only way to get around it is to drink less water, don't smoke cigarettes if you do (this made my symptoms so much worse until I quit), and make sure you eat during the day or lower your dose. Most ADHD stims are diuretics so they will make you pee.

When I came to these forums everyone and their dog had me convinced I had an STD LOL. I went to the doc to get checked out and he threatened to do a swab and I said hell no! Thank God I didn't because it was just the meds. If you quit the meds and it goes away, then it's not an STD. But it's worth considering to be safe.
Old 04-25-09, 07:49 PM
Jr Member

pmhlb is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing definite urgency and increased frequency on Concerta 36 mg. Because I get hyperfocused, sometimes I wait too long and then have to rush and then gush. The gush can be downright extreme. Are others experiencing this?
Old 04-16-18, 09:43 PM

Simon_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygor View Post
I quit Concerta after using it for 2 months because I developed a strange symptom where it felt like I had to urinate all the time and sometimes felt like I WAS urinating when I wasn't. This was really bothersome so I switched off of it, and now nothing I've tried seems to work as well as far as focus and concentration goes. Have any of you experienced this? What did you do?
Old thread, I know, but I searched this forum for "urinary" on Concerta and it led me here.

I have/had the same symptoms on Concerta, in fact, I had to get a course of antibiotics to clear it up. While off Concerta of course.

I went back on it just to see if that is the cause of my urinary pain. Earlier I got a dull sensation in my groin, so I really hope that isn't a UTI.

I'm curious, what have you found that works as good and doesn't present side effects?