ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-18, 06:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,239 Times in 14,918 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

SO.....Mariah Carey announced she has bipolarII. Whoopee. I think she has a memoir coming out. Great. Now its time to pay attention and bring awareness to is because a celeb has brought it front and center. It irritates me. I see stories all the time about some awful thing and its always..."suspect's family says he may have suffered from bipolar disorder". Or something off the wall happens and its always bipolar (or autism too). I hate the fact that people are so unwilling to talk about it and understand it until its sanctioned as relevant by a famous person. How many times have I heard "I must be bipolar today- I keep going from happy to sad" to explain mood changes.
They do not get it,
they do not understand that good mood isnt mania. A good mood isnt the same as not sleeping and decideding to reorganize your filing cabinet in the middle of the night and pull out every file and spread all the papers everywhere only to give up when you burn out. Then you get to be depressed about everything and take in the mess you created and try and put it all back together.

" Did you take your meds today?" Says one ignorant associate who you made the mistake of telling. "Hey A-hole I did take my meds yet youre still an A-hole. What gives?"
Thats what I feel like saying sometimes.
I know there can be positives to a celeb acknowledgement about bipolar but it just gets under my skin that it takes someone famous to make it relevant and worthy of awareness or some "go-fund-me" fund raiser.
I hope her revelation doesnt back fire if she has a meltdown. People love to explain away serious mental health instances like impulsive speech and risk taking behavior as bipolar. The media is the worst. They love pinning the bipolar label on someone without any proof. Their "conjectures" become facts when it gets repeated over and over again.
I should be happy its coming to the light yet I am so annoyed and angry about it!

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Abi (04-16-18), Andi (04-18-18), Lunacie (04-17-18), OyVeyKitty (04-17-18), stef (04-17-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:40 AM

Thanked 34,026 Times in 15,406 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mariah Carey has BPII so of course the world pays attention!

if she's not being a ******* about it, i see it as a good thing. mind you, i don't have bipolar, so it's not the same.

that said, i DO have something that's highly stigmatized and we have very few people, celebrities or otherwise, who will stand up and say "i'm schizophrenic". i get a fluttery stomach just typing it although probably everyone on this forum knows at this point. it's extremely hard for me to acknowledge, even though it's really quite evident.

i imagine the trappings of fame and fortune don't make it any easier. i would think, if anything, it would make it harder to accept having a mental illness and telling anyone because you can't just mention it on a small place when you're that famous.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (04-16-18), Fuzzy12 (04-15-18), Lunacie (04-17-18), namazu (04-15-18), OyVeyKitty (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 06:00 PM

SuperSparks will become famous soon enough

I'm being overly polite by saying I almost didn't read why Mariah Carey would warrant several paragraphs on this forum in a post, let alone an actual thread. But I did. And here we are. And I get you.

Problem is, the general populous couldn't tell the difference between mania and a good mood, only until the former manifests itself and is fully understood, or when the latter disappears and is also fully understood. Without the above from a subjective point of view, it's unlikely you will hear people saying things as you mention such as "I'm feeling bipolar today". (BTW there's also cyclothemic type disorders which can cycle your moods very rapidly, which I'm sure you know given your experience and time on this forum and in life.

I genuinely don't understand why this celebrity's mental disorder would bring you anger, even if it were to backfire on her. Just like conjectures become facts and live in a perpetual cycle, opinions become emotions and they too fall into a cycle of eternal interations.

Don't be angry. You said it yourself, you should be happy. Try that.

P.S the world gives a lot less for Mariah Carey than you actually think. Given that she's hardly even a average singer by today's standards, the world pays a lot less attention to Mariah Carey than we all might believe =)
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSparks For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-16-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 08:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,105 Times in 13,877 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem, ahem. I'm not interested in the antics of mariah Carey but she's not an average singer. She's one of the best singers out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
OyVeyKitty (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 10:07 PM

Thanked 21,401 Times in 11,478 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 04-17-18, 08:53 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

*crosses fingers*
*pops some corn*
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 02:54 PM

peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
it's unlikely you will hear people saying things as you mention such as "I'm feeling bipolar today". (BTW there's also cyclothemic type disorders which can cycle your moods very rapidly, which I'm sure you know given your experience and time on this forum and in life.
as i said above, i am not bipolar, so i probably don't "pick up on it" as much as i do with the diagnoses i have, but i think you're quite likely incorrect on this. so many clinical terms have found their way into the non-clinical speech adopted by people. how often do people say they're "depressed" or "a little OCD" about something. i've heard film plots described as "schizophrenic" and heard people described as "psychotic" who were not suffering from psychosis...

i think the potential for clinical terms being misused in the vernacular is actually quite high and does a disservice to those of us with diagnoses when it happens.
Old 04-17-18, 03:22 PM

Thanked 25,904 Times in 12,083 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
as i said above, i am not bipolar, so i probably don't "pick up on it" as much as i do with the diagnoses i have, but i think you're quite likely incorrect on this. so many clinical terms have found their way into the non-clinical speech adopted by people. how often do people say they're "depressed" or "a little OCD" about something. i've heard film plots described as "schizophrenic" and heard people described as "psychotic" who were not suffering from psychosis...

i think the potential for clinical terms being misused in the vernacular is actually quite high and does a disservice to those of us with diagnoses when it happens.
Yeah, I've seen several memes on facebook wondering if Mother Nature has bipolar to account for rapid weather changes.

This is one reason why the word "retarded" is so frowned on today, because
those who didn't understand what it was like to live with that diagnosis or to
live with someone who had that diagnosis began using it as a put-down for
someone who was having a stressful moment.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
stef (04-18-18), SuperSparks (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 03:36 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the reason clinical terms have come into popular usage is because previous vernacular came to be considered vulgar, offensive, and/or rude.

People can’t say “crazy” any longer, so they say “psychotic.”

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
stef (04-18-18)
Old 04-17-18, 03:51 PM

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, in time, the words du jour will be deemed offensive, so people will move on to new terms.

And so like idiot, and retard, they will be flung onto the heap of slurs.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
stef (04-18-18)
Old 04-17-18, 05:34 PM

SuperSparks will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Ahem, ahem. I'm not interested in the antics of mariah Carey but she's not an average singer. She's one of the best singers out there.
Let's not argue on this one. By today's standards I mean Adele for example. It's just a measure of talent. The rest is preference =)
Old 04-17-18, 05:45 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparks View Post
Let's not argue on this one. By today's standards I mean Adele for example. It's just a measure of talent. The rest is preference =)
I love Adele's voice and I don't like most of Mariah Carey's songs but she can definitely sing.
Old 04-17-18, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Yeah, I've seen several memes on facebook wondering if Mother Nature has bipolar to account for rapid weather changes.

This is one reason why the word "retarded" is so frowned on today, because
those who didn't understand what it was like to live with that diagnosis or to
live with someone who had that diagnosis began using it as a put-down for
someone who was having a stressful moment.
I trust you when you say that those memes are offensive (and it seems like they were talkimgactualkyboit bipolar disorder).

in general though, I don't think we can appropriate the word bipolar. It's different to bipolar disorder. It just means having two poles and it's used in all kinds of contexts. It's not an exclusively clinical term.
Old 04-17-18, 06:11 PM

Thanked 25,904 Times in 12,083 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I trust you when you say that those memes are offensive (and it seems like they were talkimgactualkyboit bipolar disorder).

in general though, I don't think we can appropriate the word bipolar. It's different to bipolar disorder. It just means having two poles and it's used in all kinds of contexts. It's not an exclusively clinical term.
Sorry I didn't specify that they clearly meant bipolar disorder. Here's one:

Mother Nature is not only bipolar but clearly off her meds!
(offensive photo of older obese woman in a flower bikini)

(sorry I can't find a meme to link that isn't huge or on pinterest)

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (04-17-18), stef (04-18-18)
Old 04-17-18, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
People can’t say “crazy” any longer, so they say “psychotic.”
i suppose their ignorance is bliss, because if they actually experienced psychosis they'd shut the hell up and stop throwing such terms around so loosely.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-17-18), Lunacie (04-17-18), stef (04-17-18)