ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-18, 08:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,290 Times in 641 Posts
Drogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant futureDrogheda has a brilliant future
adhd, hyper focus and the hunter

no, I'm not talking about the myth of narcissus

(I'll refrain from the word you and just use myself as an example)

last week therapy was the biggest trip I've ever taken, I had a eurika moment so long in the making. (only time I'll use the word in a moment) I decided to share, to give back to this community if I could. this was it, that magic bullet so to speak that answered the question "how do you work" I've had for so long. I pose that question to you guys specificly because we all have ADHD and while I know each of us our seperate in our diagnoses, behavior tends to be reciprocal . and if any of you are ****** off at me for saying I have a High IQ before, I'm sorry, I do but I was focusing on the wrong thing(I've tried 3 times not say that but I'm starting to trust myself more, so there it is), that being said, I might have some wisdom here, or I could be behind the times.

for me I work with a combination of 3 things, my want to learn (ya IQ) emotion and creativity. this however isn't just reflected in what I want to do with my life, I've known what I want to do, it's just how to get from point A to point B, or the question I think most of us ask, HOW DO I WORK. focusing on the micro, nada, doing something I'm not interested in, nope.

I think I share the same sentiment as many here do, we have been told to bottle in our emotion instead of learning how to focus our emotion, like a bloody laser, coming to terms with the beast inside (carl jung, the shadow) and using that beast to our advantage instead of being scared of it, taking our love for things (I'll say it, I freaking love video games) and applying it to other places. the how is the big question I faced.

these are direct quotes from me in the things I have done well at in life
"I shine on stage"
"I'm a beast at the guitar"
"I love photography"
"I love the rapid fire nature of summer classes"
"I ******* love video games"

things I'm not good at
"I get stuck in the mud"

shine on stage
beast at guitar
really love photography
rapid fire summer classes
******* love video games
Hyper Focus

I shine on stage because of my love of astronomy and science, that creates an emotional affective response. beast at guitar, well I took the energy of being a little **** and applied it another way. Really love, self explanitory, rapid fire, hell I love video games and applied the rapid fire action of some of my favorite guns (and maybe kung fu movies) to summer classes. ******* love...... ya no explanation needed:

even the stuff I thought I was horrible at before, when I started to think about the task at hand (task list is the most boring thing ever, Action list however)and applying what I learned in therapy (I use to suck at cleaning, now I think of turning chaos into order, oh ya, I love D&D but also the concepts behind Jungian psychology) I could start.... doing

I could start making action plans with multiple steps, something I learned through therapy, when I get done with those steps I would mark them off, check mark, that would send some dopamine surging, I would feel better.

the hunter is a bit different of a concept. it goes to the idea of hunter/gatherer society.

the question goes, would one like to be a farmer or a hunter, or the question can be split up, would one like to be a farm, if no, you would be a hunter. some of that is instinctual, some of that is based on faculty, some of that is formed on hell, straight openness and consciousnesses scores. the more open the more of a chance someone is going to be a hunter, the less and more consciousness they are, the more they are going to be a farmer.

hunter's in today's world are Researchers (lots of stuff going on), rescuers, doctors, artists, musicians, scientists, writers, policemen etc. this seems to be somewhat ingrained in us, we would play as children, our novel idea's came out early (my first was wanting to be an archaeologist)

basically we have what is refereed to as grit and doggedness, only that information is eschewed through the very same reason going to therapy is, stigma. we see what other's say about us online and start thinking something is.

we get our mental energy, that being the stuff that gives us clarity through what we want and that is focused on our emotional responses to things and how we describe them. being told to shut up instead of harnessing our mental focus is completely detrimental. good news though, if any of this jives with anyone well, you (sorry) can start to up your ante.

the other type of thinking get's there mental energy from tactile responses, emotion is important but not as important, it's not that big of a driver, to us emotion is the driver.

I just got to say this was one part acceptance piece and one part a hope that someone else might get something from it, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, but the more I wright and think about it and work on it the better it comes into clarity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drogheda For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 10:27 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road
Re: adhd, hyper focus and the hunter

My friend, say no more. You are but in so many ways like me. Boring tasks are unspeakably hard to pay attention to for me as well. It's not just lack of interest or lack of caring per se, but just a profoundly strong deficit of focus, or perhaps if you are like me which it sounds, hyperfocus can be just as annoying because at least for me it is almost like my eyes and mind are sort of deadlocked into one task and as though they are kind of paralyzed into the task at hand and even just moving my eyes away from said activity proves daunting.
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeH99 For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 06:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Living a life with a Hunter brain in a world populated and structured by farmers is confusing. Cause by default you are not designed to fit in, and from a young age you are feeling this, but not sure why. You may try to adapt but fail enough times that in the end you just give up and create a survivable niche where your hunter mindset can thrive, and at the same time you choose to stay far away from all those farmer-controlled areas of life. You may even look down on that sort of society and way of life, as it simply does not work for you and totally brings your brain offline just thinking about it.

But although it is a totally natural course of events to withdraw, it still leaves us alienated and conflicted.

On one hand we may proud ourselves to be a hunter braintype, to achieve and excel in moments where that IQ and hyperfocus create a powerfull "perfect storm" of clear insight and activeness in even the most complex of issues, to only moments later feel like a total fraud and be ashamed for failing in simple everyday farmer activities.

Lately i see that ADD does not necessarily have to mean that i have low self-esteem, my self-esteem is just totally scattered accross this hunter/farmer paradigm and consists of conflicting highs and lows that i am constantly navigating between.

I may be very different as a "Hunter", the type has it's strengths and weaknesses, and that's okay. but perhaps the cruelty in our lives comes from the fact that we judge ourselves from that farmers perspective. And that's almost like judging a fish on its ability to climb trees.

I want to grow better at the farmer stuff, because i know it will improve my life in some ways. But since I have stopped expecting that it will ever fit on me naturally, and know that i will always struggle with certain aspects, i have gotten less scared to fail at it. Which ironically encourages me to try adapting it more.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 01:33 PM

alphalpha is on a distinguished road

I haven't come across and read the hunter vs farmer analogy in a while.. and in retrospective.. I can see how I am very much a hunter.

as Declutter mentioned, all of us here are inclined towards being hunters.. but if you want to get ahead and be `successful` in the modern sense of the term.. you do need to grow some `farmer` wings.

I do hate to grow those farmer `wings`, as its kindof outside my comfort zone.. but I have always like pushing my limits. Not having those `farmer` wings has cost me and also gained me lots historically.
The Following User Says Thank You to alphalpha For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 03:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalpha View Post
I haven't come across and read the hunter vs farmer analogy in a while.. and in retrospective.. I can see how I am very much a hunter.

as Declutter mentioned, all of us here are inclined towards being hunters.. but if you want to get ahead and be `successful` in the modern sense of the term.. you do need to grow some `farmer` wings.

I do hate to grow those farmer `wings`, as its kindof outside my comfort zone.. but I have always like pushing my limits. Not having those `farmer` wings has cost me and also gained me lots historically.
I don't buy into the theory that everyone with adhd is a "hunter."

I would suck as a hunter because I'd get bored sitting there waiting for the
animal to come along. I'd start digging in the dirt, or picking bark off the tree,
playing with the grass ... and miss the animal when it pauses a few yards away.

If I was following a herd of animals I could see my attention being drawn by a
flock of birds circling overhead, by small animals darting away in the tall grass,
something would distract me sooner or later.

Comorbid disorders can also affect how we see and interact with the world.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-19-18, 01:02 PM

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I don't buy into the theory that everyone with adhd is a "hunter."

I would suck as a hunter because I'd get bored sitting there waiting for the
animal to come along. I'd start digging in the dirt, or picking bark off the tree,
playing with the grass ... and miss the animal when it pauses a few yards away.

If I was following a herd of animals I could see my attention being drawn by a
flock of birds circling overhead, by small animals darting away in the tall grass,
something would distract me sooner or later.

Comorbid disorders can also affect how we see and interact with the world.
Haha, you have a pretty good point there! I'm kind of a klutz because I don't always pay attention to what I'm doing with my hands and feet, so besides getting distracted by random things, I could also imagine shooting myself in the foot, or tripping over my spear or something. I would agree that it is probably an over-simplification to say that ADD = hunter. But I would say that we are all made differently, with different strengths and weaknesses. It's just that some of us have a combination of strengths and weaknesses that don't quite fit the culturally accepted idea of "normal" (whatever "normal" may mean).
Lunacie (04-19-18)
Old 04-20-18, 10:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,854 Times in 14,134 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I never buy into the hunter gatherer situation it doesn't relate to me and I don't see how it plays into having ADHD.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-20-18, 02:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,041 Times in 11,630 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronelh View Post
Haha, you have a pretty good point there! I'm kind of a klutz because I don't always pay attention to what I'm doing with my hands and feet, so besides getting distracted by random things, I could also imagine shooting myself in the foot, or tripping over my spear or something. I would agree that it is probably an over-simplification to say that ADD = hunter. But I would say that we are all made differently, with different strengths and weaknesses. It's just that some of us have a combination of strengths and weaknesses that don't quite fit the culturally accepted idea of "normal" (whatever "normal" may mean).
I'm clumsy too, always have been. I'd likely trip over my spear and thereby
stab myself in the thigh.

Hunting for plants in the wild, I might have been able to do that.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold

Well, when i use the Hunter metaphor i don't consider myself the type to chase through the woods with the sole focus on killing animals. That would not work for me either...

But, i can imagine that the Hunters life didn't involve complicated planning and long-term focus. He just had to find an animal and hunt it down with his sharp flight-or-fight enhanced focus. After that, he pretty much had all day to wander around nature, occupy himself with distractions, find someplace to sleep and cook his meal and meanwhile his only worry probably was not to get eaten or hurt himself.

He didn't have to worry much about time, except that the sun would go down, but never had to rush from appointement to appointement, he never had to think about taxes or paying the bills, bring the car in for maintenance or take his ADD meds on time.

A hunters life had a totally different rythm and basically required him to just focus on what was in front of him/her.