ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 02-22-11, 05:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What If Einstein Had Taken Ritalin?

I still say he had PDD-NOS. Einstein didn't talk until he was 5 which rules out Asperger's. HFA or PDD-NOS would be his diagnoses. Yeah I take this stuff seriously.

Hawking didn't have AS. I read that he was social and a bit arrogant. He didn't seem to bore people with his interests, although that could have been because he was in good company.

There are some scientists that seem like they have AS but then they are social enough to rule out that possibility.

Also, I know this is a really really old thread but my meds help me get my creative projects off the ground and help me to complete them. 20 chapters in 20 days and only needed minimal editing. Of course that dose was way too high for me and almost killed me but my God I sure got a lot done on it.
Old 02-22-11, 07:38 PM
Contributor

x6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of lightx6eze is a glorious beacon of light

Paul Erdos, the famous mathematician was never diagnosed with ADHD, and I've never heard anybody propose it, but he claimed that he COULDN'T be creative without Benzedrine.
  • 40mg Adderall XR (AM)
  • 30mg Adderall IR (PM)
"Change the world or go home" - Microsoft employee slogan
The Following User Says Thank You to x6eze For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-23-11)
Old 02-24-11, 03:10 PM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I still say he had PDD-NOS. Einstein didn't talk until he was 5 which rules out Asperger's. HFA or PDD-NOS would be his diagnoses. Yeah I take this stuff seriously.

Hawking didn't have AS. I read that he was social and a bit arrogant. He didn't seem to bore people with his interests, although that could have been because he was in good company.

There are some scientists that seem like they have AS but then they are social enough to rule out that possibility.

Also, I know this is a really really old thread but my meds help me get my creative projects off the ground and help me to complete them. 20 chapters in 20 days and only needed minimal editing. Of course that dose was way too high for me and almost killed me but my God I sure got a lot done on it.
I forget now if that poster said Asperger's or Autism, obviously they share similarities but they definitely have their differences. Again, I'm not sure if Einstein actually had a disorder.

I remember reading something where one of Einstein's teachers told his father that he (Einstein) would never amount to anything, and obviously that wasn't true.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-11, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

bradd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychokitty View Post
I did have an interesting experience, not long after I started taking ritalin.

I am an ESL teacher, and some of my most interesting and fun lessons have stemmed from me following the subjects and tangents that came up in the free conversation time in the first fifteen minutes of the class. I could take anything, and run with it....and make up a lesson on the spot.

After I started taking ritalin I was doing a class.....and was suprised when no flashes of brilliance came.....I had to look back at my lesson plan (which unusually I had completed) and actually follow the lesson plan
I`d lost my ability to creatively go off on a tangent
You lost your ability to go completely off on a tangent? Look, however important going off on a tangent, ADD medication is as short term as it can get and nobody can make you take it every day, every portion of each day, etc, etc... You're perfectly at liberty to have the best of both worlds.

brADD
Old 07-15-11, 09:35 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,614 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

that'd be interesting to know. It would be very telling.
Old 07-16-11, 06:56 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

What If Alien's Were Break Dancing On Your Roof And You Weren't Home To

Record It For The Tabloids ?

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-24-11), APSJ (07-16-11), Drewbacca (03-28-13), ginniebean (07-18-11), peripatetic (07-16-11), Retromancer (07-16-11)
Old 07-21-11, 01:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
What If Alien's Were Break Dancing On Your Roof And You Weren't Home To

Record It For The Tabloids ?

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
That would be a shame...

They would be very good at breakdancing if our perceptions of their flexibility proved true.

What if the 'A Team' were the first to meet the aliens, and would Einstein be a part of it if he were alive?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bof00 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-24-11), mctavish23 (07-22-11)
Old 07-22-11, 10:33 PM

Thanked 4,240 Times in 2,409 Posts
eclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic beagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think the more important question is, what if there are modern day geniuses with undiagnosed ADHD, that could benefit from treatment. I wouldn't mind hundreds of "general relativity" scenarios popping up in my lifetime, keeps things interesting!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eclectic beagle For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-24-11), mctavish23 (07-22-11)
Old 03-27-13, 03:45 PM

MensanDave has a spectacular aura aboutMensanDave has a spectacular aura about

This is an amazing question. I am not an expert on the man and yet I am familier with him due to the fact he was a role model as a child because my family and teachers told me I was like him. With all that being said my opinion on the matter is as follows.

Alber Einstein was a man raised in Europe during a time when psychology was developing. The social acceptance of what we call savants was alive and well. Europe had been the birthplace of many of the men and women who have shaped the world. The "cultured" and or highly educated did have plenty of experience dealing with savants. Most notably was Thomas Hobes who wrote a lengthy chapter in one of his more famous works on "How To Raise A Child." If I am correct on the man, I am commenting off hand ofcourse. The most fascinating piece of history pertaining to Einstein was that he was so abstract and creatively brillant that he was identified at a young age. He was allowed to go to college. Many of the persons who influenced the man growing up knew that he might be able to provide something of merit. He was able to find work as a patent clerck, today, we would call that a repetitve job. It was also a job suited for a highly creative person because he was exposed to many patents. His thought experiments during that period of his life might has been more paramount than his efforts in physics. He did not choose to endevour in business so it would be hard to say what he might have choosen to develope in the pursuit of monetary gain. One might argue he could have become a wealthy man if so he choose. He did not choose that route thankfully.

As how this relates to Ritalin is sort of elementary. If the man with the intellectual capacity of Einstein had taken ritalin; the overwheliming evidence that his path would have been different is based upon current sociological trends in the post modern society. Not based upon the European model in the modern world. It would be a grand desgin to say that he would have not done the things he had done in the manner in which he had done them. In fact, his thought experiments were done as a young man not a child. So he might not have been on ritalin at that time in his life. But one thing is true and undeniable. If Einstein had been born into the Post Modern Era, and we, the global community, had not developed his theories, more than likely he would have been the man to develop them. Yet, it would have happened in a different way altogether. He would have been identified at a young age and placed into a school for the gifted. Then he would have taken the SAT if he was in America like I did in the third or forth grade and been invited to the Mensa Society. He would have had possibly gone to college in his early teens and would have then been heavely recuited by the governments military and industrial complex. Then all his brainpower would have been directed towards the very same things he was intersted in. At the end of the day it would have been the same except for one small detail. Everything he had developed would have been the propery of the government; in a different path a corporation with a government contact and thus the same thing as an end result. Nobody would have known him, he would not have become a public figure I can assure you.

I say all this not to try and spin the issue, I say this becuase it is directly related to ritalin and how our current society is structed. We have quantified and qualitated everything. There are far more competitive issues with many levels of control and interests many are unaware of. For those who are they tend to use the system to exploit those persons in some fashion. Many parents of genious children today put them into craeer paths as soon as thy find out about it. Look at th entertainment industry as one example. The public school systems are designed to route out gifted persons and those people are always and forever after part of a system. The arguement about ritalin and creative thinking should not be of how one effects the other. Each person is different, some are aided and some are held back. The issue should be where have all the Einsteins gone. Dr Stephen Hawkins is the last great thinker in his niche. He was born long before ritalin and the current educational and sociological structure. I would ask this question because if you are a parent of a child with ADHD and your school is telling you he is of at the least above average intelligence then it is your responsiblity to ensure the global community that your child makes his or her contribution to the world. Do not allow your child to become a victim of the system and at the same time use the system as much as possible. But make them aware of the "open sourece" mentality and contributing to the embetterment of the world is paramount. Not the fulfillment of wants and needs and living a life where you fit into society as normal person. You are not normal and should not be expected to behave normally. Morally yes, but social regulations require those who are normal to accept the abstract, not the abstract to regiment themselves. That was done with Einstein and anbody who has studeied his life would tell you he was treated just like the youth of today. But those who had a fundamental understanding of what creativity is all about allow those who are different to remain different and use their strengths to fullfill the ends and little worry about the means.

In summation to quote a line in a movie "what happened happened and could not of happened any other way, that is why we are still alive." The man had a predisposition to math and science due to the funcational capacities of his brain. He would have gravited to it and he would have come up with his conclusions with or without the aid of ritalin. All you have to do is ask any adult with a very high IQ who has taken ritalin and he will most likely say the same thing. If you have the chance to ask any high level military person about the current model of the world today he would also, if he was honest, mention some of the same things I mention if they have worked in programs with "gifted" individuals throughout their career.
The Following User Says Thank You to MensanDave For This Useful Post:
Mantaray14 (04-23-16)
Old 08-29-13, 05:45 PM

sampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nice

i don't think drugs effect your creativity. bob dylan, during the 1960s, is famous for taking a lot of amphetamines and wrote some of the greatest songs in the last century probably. the author of the book "on the road" wrote it while on amphetamines.

i don't agree with the premise of the question. what if einstein was born in a different country, or read different books growing up, etc. all those things factor into if you're a "genius". and einstein didn't have adhd, so he wouldn't have taken ritalin anyway.
Old 08-29-13, 08:51 PM

Thanked 6,478 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

If Eminem had taken Ritalin, maybe he'd spend more time on his rap lyrics instead of churning out the rubbish he does these days?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Bethylphenidate (08-30-13)
Old 08-29-13, 08:52 PM

Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but why do I feel like if he had taken Adderall he would have electrocuted himself?
Old 08-29-13, 11:32 PM

sampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nicesampson is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
If Eminem had taken Ritalin, maybe he'd spend more time on his rap lyrics instead of churning out the rubbish he does these days?
lol yeah he f'ed himself up on valium and methadone. eminem's first 2 albums were amazing.
Old 03-04-14, 07:29 PM

Thanked 1,350 Times in 556 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

His brain would have exploded
Old 04-23-16, 08:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice

I took Ritalin as a kid in school. I have not taken it in nearly 16 years in any form. I feel I was on too high of a dosage, as my creativity was lost.

There is a fine line as we all know. If Einstein was over drugged he probably would have been the same way. If he was given the proper amount who knows what else the man could have discovered.

Interesting thing to think about
If your important people will wait for u!