ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 07-23-14, 07:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD Drugs May Up Risk of Heart Problems in Kids?

[quote=sarahsweets;1662366]
Quote:
The new study, published online recently in the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology,
Honestly, I have never heard of such an extensive study. As far as I know part of the reason this issue exists in the scientific community is because there hasnt been any real long term studies of stimulants in children and most studies that claim to have monitored a large group of children havent followed standard basics for such theories. I am not saying this is the case with this study, just that I have never seem something like this before. This study should be able to be replicated by other scientists in order for it to be relevant beyond what the author claims.

Certain differences are endless. What kind of differences? The article doesnt say which ones. If there are children with obesity or diabetes in the study, then this would affect the results. Did they also do the same study with regard to amphetamines?So many conditions would need to be considered before making such claims about such a large amount of kids. What kind of a control group did they use? Can this same thing be replicated by other scientists?
These are the types of things I wonder.
Sarah, the study was a long term review of health outcomes of ALL children in that age cohort in Denmark- so the concept of using a control group does not apply.

What the study did not show was an increase in serious cardiovascular events ( the serious ones listed occurred at an extremely low rate- maybe 1-2 cases in the whole group).
Nor did it show a breakdown of the non serious events.
We already know perfectly well that there is an increased incidence of high blood pressure and raised heart rate on stimulants- and that part of their effect is achieved by increasing cerebral blood flow.
The above 2 side effects are managed routinely within the context of managing stimulant medication and if problematic, the medication is stopped.

The risk of significant side effects overall is very very low- far lower than say penicillins.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-23-14), Lunacie (08-16-14)
Old 08-16-14, 08:03 PM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji
What the study did not show was an increase in serious cardiovascular events ...
With all due respect, the study suggests the opposite - over twice as many cardiovascular events
Quote:
84 /100,000 person-years total (child) pop.
vs.
174 / 100,000 p-y with stimulant treated ADHD children

(p. 3)
It showed risks of them more than doubled (x2.2) with stimulant treated ADHD kids:
Quote:

RESULTS:
In children with ADHD (n = 8300) stimulant treatment also increased
the risk of a cardiovascular event (adjusted HR = 2.20 [2.15–2.24]), with a complex time-dependent dose-response relationship.

(p.1)
It also showed increased risks taking methylphenidate with a clear dose-response relationship over the longest measured time span (12 months), with the highest dose being significant:

Quote:
Stimulant dosage 12 months before the adverse cardiovascular
event (n = 8295)
Non-user (reference) 1
Dosage < 15 mg methylphenidate
0.57 3.59
Dosage 15–30 mg methylphenidate
0.84 3.32
Dosage > 30 mg methylphenidate
1.20 4.21

-------------
Bold indicates a significantly increased hazard ratio compared to the
reference group.
(p. 7)

Last edited by HADDaball; 08-16-14 at 08:22 PM..
Old 08-16-14, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,307 Times in 5,520 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Cause and correlation can be deceiving.

I wonder if a history of mitral valve prolapse was accounted for

A condition common in disorders that often lead to ADHD
Old 08-16-14, 11:02 PM
Contributor

HADDaball has disabled reputation

Apologies Kunga.. suffering 'foot in mouth' lately

The study didn't find significant rises in stimulant treated ADHD kids of serious cardiac events (sudden death, heart attack, stroke).

Yeah daveddd. There's lots of things that could be looked into to establish baselines before treatment. There's so much to know and doing good research is challenging.