ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 08-18-14, 02:21 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,617 Times in 7,035 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
30% of adults with ADHD were abused as a child???

Wow,
This seems like a huge number to me. Maybe, it is because I am not in the 30%.
Also, they don't really define abuse so maybe, I am in the 30%.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0305191156.htm

Quote:
Thirty percent of adults with attention deficit disorder report childhood physical abuse
Date:
March 5, 2014
Source:
University of Toronto
Summary:
Thirty percent of adults with Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) report they were physically abused before they turned 18. This compares to seven per cent of those without ADD/ADHD who were physically abused before 18. Investigators examined a representative sample of 13,054 adults aged 18 and over. According to a co-author, "This study underlines the importance of ADD/ADHD as a marker of abuse. With 30 per cent of adults with ADD/ADHD reporting childhood abuse, it is important that health professionals working with children with these disorders screen them for physical abuse."

Thirty percent of adults with Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD) report they were physically abused before they turned 18. This compares to seven per cent of those without ADD/ADHD who were physically abused before 18. The results were in a study published in this week's online Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma.

"This strong association between abuse and ADD/ADHD was not explained by differences in demographic characteristics or other early adversities experienced by those who had been abused," says lead author Esme Fuller-Thomson, Professor and Sandra Rotman Chair at University of Toronto's Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work. "Even after adjusting for different factors, those who reported being physically abused before age 18 had seven times the odds of ADD/ADHD."
Investigators examined a representative sample of 13,054 adults aged 18 and over in the 2005 Canadian Community Health Survey including 1,020 respondents who reported childhood physical abuse and 64 respondents who reported that they had been diagnosed by a health professional with either ADHD or ADD.
"Our data do not allow us to know the direction of the association. It is possible that the behaviors of children with ADD/ADHD increase parental stress and the likelihood of abuse," says co-author Rukshan Mehta, a graduate of the University of Toronto's Masters of Social Work program. "Alternatively, some new literature suggests early childhood abuse may result in and/or exacerbate the risk of ADD/ADHD."
According to co-author Angela Valeo from Ryerson University, "This study underlines the importance of ADD/ADHD as a marker of abuse. With 30 per cent of adults with ADD/ADHD reporting childhood abuse, it is important that health professionals working with children with these disorders screen them for physical abuse."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
addthree (08-19-14), InvitroCanibal (09-08-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-18-14, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

addthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to alladdthree is a name known to all
Re: 30% of adults with ADHD were abused as a child???

This does seem high. And what defines abuse? What is abuse now, was not considered abuse 30-40 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to addthree For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-18-14)
Old 08-18-14, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,564 Times in 11,908 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I betcha that parents of ADHD children are so frustrated that they spank - or they're told to spank - or they yell way more than parents of NT kids.

So, no, I'm not surprised. We need better information and help available to parents so kids can get diagnosed and treated ASAP.

I've been calling for early intervention for ADHD for many years. Unfortunately some think that means giving kids meds at an early age.

Not at all. Both parents and kids needs some help in learning how best to cope and develop skills when the kid, and sometimes the parent as well, has ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Bethylphenidate (08-23-14), Corina86 (08-19-14), dvdnvwls (08-19-14), Greyhound1 (08-18-14), silivrentoliel (08-18-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-14, 09:06 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,017 Times in 583 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of

Do you really need the term 'physical abuse' defined??

Sounds like an interesting survey, but a fledgling one, obviously a lot more work would have to be done to establish the link. I'd be interested in the same sort of study being done in Australia - we have a extremely high rate of domestic abuse in this country.
Old 08-18-14, 09:50 PM

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I betcha that parents of ADHD children are so frustrated that they spank - or they're told to spank - or they yell way more than parents of NT kids.

So, no, I'm not surprised. We need better information and help available to parents so kids can get diagnosed and treated ASAP.

I've been calling for early intervention for ADHD for many years. Unfortunately some think that means giving kids meds at an early age.

Not at all. Both parents and kids needs some help in learning how best to cope and develop skills when the kid, and sometimes the parent as well, has ADHD.
i don't think spanking would define abuse

i can understand being frustrated , but if your going to beat your kid over it, i don't think its helpful to blame the child

if your an adult,you need get some kind of help, you can't blame being abusing kids on being frustrated

child abuse will also cause symptoms identical to adhd
Old 08-18-14, 10:06 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Do you really need the term 'physical abuse' defined??
I think we do, unless you know of a universal definition for physical abuse.

Is corporal punishment physical abuse?
I was spanked and whipped as a child and it really hurt by teachers and parents. Does that make me a victim of abuse?

My brother would constantly pick on me both mentally and physically does that count as abuse?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
addthree (08-19-14), peripatetic (08-20-14), randomguy1235 (03-21-16)
Old 08-18-14, 10:34 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
i don't think spanking would define abuse

i can understand being frustrated , but if your going to beat your kid over it, i don't think its helpful to blame the child

if your an adult,you need get some kind of help, you can't blame being abusing kids on being frustrated

child abuse will also cause symptoms identical to adhd
Spanking can be considered abuse, but isn't always.

Yes, the behaviors of children with ADHD can lead to increased possibility of abuse by parent.
That is not blaming the child, it's blaming the mental disorder and the lack of understanding.

Yes, early childhood physical abuse can lead to something like ADHD or make existing ADHD worse.

From the link in the OP:
Quote:
"Our data do not allow us to know the direction of the association. It is possible that the behaviors of children with ADD/ADHD increase parental stress and the likelihood of abuse," says co-author Rukshan Mehta, a graduate of the University of Toronto's Masters of Social Work program. "Alternatively, some new literature suggests early childhood abuse may result in and/or exacerbate the risk of ADD/ADHD."

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-18-14), Greyhound1 (08-18-14)
Old 08-18-14, 10:55 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Spanking can be considered abuse, but isn't always.

Yes, the behaviors of children with ADHD can lead to increased possibility of abuse by parent.
That is not blaming the child, it's blaming the mental disorder and the lack of understanding.

Yes, early childhood physical abuse can lead to something like ADHD or make existing ADHD worse.

From the link in the OP:
ok, i guess

i just feel like adhd kids wouldn't drive someone with good emotional regulation skills to abuse

so it wouldn't be so much the kid , but the kid only with that adult

babies can't change their behavior, so if their behavior is driving you to abuse one, you need to help yourself immediately
apoeticdevice (08-23-14), Fuzzy12 (08-10-15), Greyhound1 (08-18-14), SB_UK (08-19-14), Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-18-14, 11:08 PM

Quote:
ok, i guess

i just feel like adhd kids wouldn't drive someone with good emotional regulation skills to abuse

babies can't change their behavior, so if their behavior is driving you to abuse one, you need to help yourself immediately
Well kids with ADHD generally have at least one parent with ADHD ...
which means that parent may not have very good emotional regulation skills.

Can't tell you how many posts I've seen where the parent didn't know they had ADHD
until their child was diagnosed. Or in a few cases, the grandparent didn't know (like me).
I knew I needed help but nobody helped me or told me why I was struggling.

In this country, it's still widely accepted that parents have to administer physical discipline in order to be "good parents."

I once heard of a study that switched ADHD kids with NT kids.
Parents who were great with NT kids found it much more stressful to parent ADHD kids.
Parents who struggled to parent ADHD kids found they were yelling a lot less with NT kids.
I've never been able to find a link to that study, but it sounds believable to me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (08-18-14), Greyhound1 (08-18-14), randomguy1235 (03-21-16)
Old 08-18-14, 11:11 PM

sounds believable

i wasn't abused , but i know i drove my parents nuts
Stevuke79 (08-20-14)
Old 08-18-14, 11:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

I can see several big flaws with the study.

1. Defining physical abuse

2. Without #1 the study must depend on the patients definition and interpretation as to whether abuse occurred.

3. What is considered punishment to an NT child could easily be perceived as abuse to a child with ADHD. We have emotional regulation issues.

Many times my brother and I would receive a beating with a belt. I would scream and cry and be traumatized. My brother would laugh and say it didn't hurt even when it did. I would think about it for days and he could care less.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
addthree (08-19-14), apoeticdevice (08-23-14), Fuzzy12 (08-19-14), randomguy1235 (03-21-16)
Old 08-18-14, 11:30 PM

can you link the whole study

it would probably give at least some explanation of the assessment , probably some of the questions and measures
Old 08-18-14, 11:40 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Quote:
can you link the whole study

it would probably give at least some explanation of the assessment , probably some of the questions and measures
I didn't see much.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/...0#.UxefSco0PTo
Old 08-19-14, 12:46 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

I've always wondered how much of me was my mothers ADD behavior and how much was she just exploding at my behavior.
One thing when your young you don't relies the impact of your behavior at the time.
There was definitely abuse there but my ADD was seperate.

The lasting legacy of the abuse is some bad memories. Oh well too bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (08-19-14)
Old 08-19-14, 05:47 AM

Thanked 6,451 Times in 4,701 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
ok, i guess

Heritability of ADHD ?
Greyhound1 (08-19-14)