ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-11, 02:01 PM

maxtremors is on a distinguished road
Methadone (MMT) and ADHD

So I was diagnosed and treated for ADHD as a kid, and treated for it all through school until I was 23. The majority of that time I was on Adderall XR, and when Strattera came out, I was switched to that. I had a lot of side effects and didn't really work anyway, so I stopped treatment altogether. Soon after that, I some kidney stones, got addicted to painkillers, then heroin, and long story short, I have been on methadone, at a methadone clinic for the past four years.

Last year, I decided to go back to school, and had a really hard time with it, so this summer I decided to seek treatment again for my adhd. I was rediagnosed, but my psychiatrist thought I might be bipolar because of my family history, and wanted me to try Abilify and Wellbutrin for a few weeks before treating my adhd. He mentioned trying tenex, and upon doing some research, I don't think this will work for me. I need a long acting medication that isn't terribly expensive. There is intuniv, but it's over $200 per month, and it's not even approved for adults.

I am sure that my Dr is concerned about addiction or abuse of adhd meds, and is reluctant to prescribe them to me because of my past. I have an appt tomorrow, and school starts next week. I am on academic probation after last semester, and if I don't do well this semester, it wil most likely be the end of my college career.

How do explain to my Dr that I don't have the time or the money to try a medication that isn't even very effective in most people in light of my background. I have four year of clean UAs, go to counseling, have always passed any Med counts, etc. Like I said, I was on Adderall for almost ten years, so I know it works well for me. I know Adderall XR is also very expensive, but there are generic alternatives that are pretty similar and inexpensive. So again, how do I explain this without looking like a drug seeker (which. I am not)?
Old 08-10-11, 07:26 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice
Re: Methadone (MMT) and ADHD

Maybe ask him for vyvanse because it's considered the hardest stimulant adhd med to abuse. It's definitely not cheap but your doctor will probably be more willing to prescribe it than adderall. It has to be taken orally or else it won't have any effect and you can't bypass the time release mechanism like with adderall.

Could be worth a try, but price will definitely be an issue with vyvanse.

and I'm not sure how you can convince him to give you adderall xr but good luck
Old 09-02-11, 08:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,059 Times in 14,827 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would just be open to other stims besides adderall. Offer to do pill counts and ua testing if it would help.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 06:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtremors View Post
So I was diagnosed and treated for ADHD as a kid, and treated for it all through school until I was 23. The majority of that time I was on Adderall XR, and when Strattera came out, I was switched to that. I had a lot of side effects and didn't really work anyway, so I stopped treatment altogether. Soon after that, I some kidney stones, got addicted to painkillers, then heroin, and long story short, I have been on methadone, at a methadone clinic for the past four years.

Last year, I decided to go back to school, and had a really hard time with it, so this summer I decided to seek treatment again for my adhd. I was rediagnosed, but my psychiatrist thought I might be bipolar because of my family history, and wanted me to try Abilify and Wellbutrin for a few weeks before treating my adhd. He mentioned trying tenex, and upon doing some research, I don't think this will work for me. I need a long acting medication that isn't terribly expensive. There is intuniv, but it's over $200 per month, and it's not even approved for adults.

I am sure that my Dr is concerned about addiction or abuse of adhd meds, and is reluctant to prescribe them to me because of my past. I have an appt tomorrow, and school starts next week. I am on academic probation after last semester, and if I don't do well this semester, it wil most likely be the end of my college career.

How do explain to my Dr that I don't have the time or the money to try a medication that isn't even very effective in most people in light of my background. I have four year of clean UAs, go to counseling, have always passed any Med counts, etc. Like I said, I was on Adderall for almost ten years, so I know it works well for me. I know Adderall XR is also very expensive, but there are generic alternatives that are pretty similar and inexpensive. So again, how do I explain this without looking like a drug seeker (which. I am not)?
First of all, welcome back from the abyss. Nobody really understands how hard it is to come back from heroin addiction that hasn't done it, especially doctors - For a person to do it and then be clean for four years, the risk of addiction to anything (with the exception of heroin, again) is about 0.1%. I sympathize with your situation.

Wellbutrin is probably going to be your best bet. It isn't as effective in treating ADHD as Adderall but it sounds like it could have additional applications for your situation. I've seen and personally known people who have transitioned from heroin to a brief stay on 'done and then directly onto Wellbutrin without too many complications, so it might even help you get out of the clinic for good. I used it to quit cocaine and a number of other nasty habits, I really believe in the stuff and it can really make a difference in lives of former addicts - Not just in terms of ADHD, either.

Odds of you getting Adderall after being outed are slim. I'd try to get Vynasse / Wellbutrin / Abilify - That really seems like a very strong combination that should treat your dopamine / heroin fallout issues as well as your ADHD symptoms, hopefully good enough to get off methadone entirely in time. Hang in there, it gets better.

Good luck!