ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 10-13-10, 12:08 AM

varied_in_style is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

I was recently laid off of the movie theater I was working at for 2 years, because it closed. Yet I was lucky enough to get into the first, and only, place I put in an application!
I am now a proud new recruit of the local Big Lots store! I am still in training, but I love it and everyone, except one person (one in every crowd) is way cool and nice! I'm happily learning the job, just need to learn where everything is in the store, and will be learning how to work as a cashier tomorrow. I can't wait to use my awesome employee discount, and I will probably put in for the insurance benefits since I am no longer considered a 'dependent' to be listed under my parents insurance.

I do still feel a bit bitter over the theater closing at times, just because of how it was handled. We got our two week notice, but they didn't even give us severance pay or anything like that, and many of the people working there had been working there for years! It was just a bad situation all around though, because the top two reasons we got closed was 1. lousy business, and 2. the mall never fixed anything. This past summer, we had no air conditioning in the lobby at all. And the woman in charge of the mall had the nerve to come down and say 'It's not that bad' while wearing a tank top and shorts! The mall is even already announcing the 'Grand re-opening' of the movie theater, and it hasn't even been closed 2 weeks. I will be extremely surprised if it actually does get a new tenant in, and even more shocked if they last more than a few months because of the ridiculous rent the mall charges.
I wonder when that mall will finally implode upon itself . . .

*ties her hands together before she rants anymore*
I really need to learn to let things go.

Last edited by varied_in_style; 10-13-10 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-11, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

theburr has a spectacular aura abouttheburr has a spectacular aura about
Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

Tomorrow is my first day at a new job. My previous job was stressful and overwhelming--I would cry on my way to work and coming home from dread and frustration. The new job is the same work I was doing, which I enjoy, at an easier pace, working for a long-time friend and some other former coworkers whom I like.

All good, so why am I almost sick with nerves today? I'm so afraid I'm going to do something--like oversleep the alarm, show up with a price tag on my clothes, get someone's name wrong, blurt out something nonsensical, and just be the awkward person I am in new situations.

I realize I can take precautions for some of these possible screw-ups, but when it happens it's usually something I never would have predicted. I think I just want to hear from anyone who can relate, to know that I'm not the only one who can't be excited and happy for a something new because of the chaotic anxiousness of the unknown.
Old 03-11-11, 07:02 AM

freeresumetempl is on a distinguished road

Make sure that you check the background of the company you are applying in. And congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 04:48 AM

templateresume is on a distinguished road

Congrats there mate. Glad to hear that someone started a new thread about having a new job because all other threads are about needing jobs or work.
Old 03-14-11, 10:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Currently Funemployed. Full time uni student.
Old 03-16-11, 07:38 AM
Jr Member

Lucky Pioneer is on a distinguished road

If you love the job, you will not feel that your doing a job. I like my job as writer. I have collected a decent income from home. First time i was really struggled, But now i am great happy with work..
Old 03-20-11, 10:04 PM
Contributor

Arei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to allArei is a name known to all

I finally got a job @_@ I'm going to be a pharmacy technician at walmart. I took a class last fall and took and passed the test in January (and I'm somewhat thankful I hadn't been employed yet because starting the day I took the test, ive been dealing with gut issues due to an antibiotic, and spent a month and a half laying around after I took the test pfffft). It's gonna be a lot of work but I'm hoping it will be good, it's good money for me and I want to be able to go to school.

I'm hoping this works out, I kinda thought awhile ago that, it's probably not the greatest job for an ADDer. Not that I'd have time to zone out at all, I'll just have to get used to the pace. But maybe that's what I need to finally work at a faster pace (the idea of making a mistake and all the paperwork that goes along with it is scary, so I will avoid it at all cost .____.)... Though my biggest worry is always being to work on time since they are strict at Walmart about that apparently... I'm gonna have my mom set my clocks fast without telling me so hopefully I can avoid that until I get into a good groove.

Old 05-03-11, 12:07 AM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice

Congrats to everyone & the new jobs! I think I've posted on here before, when I first started trying to figure out what I wanted to do instead of working in cubicle-land. After several years of bouncing from one place to another, getting experience teaching ESOL, I just started a new job at the beginning of April that I think could be my dream job... I'm teaching ESOL and computer skills to adults at a non-profit that helps people on welfare get jobs.

It's only part time, though I do get benefits. And I'm trying not to put too much hope into the idea that it may become full time at some point... then I think it would be my dream job. But for right now, I'm just enjoying having a job that makes me happy, doing what I knew I wanted to do but in a way I never considered doing it! I always just assumed that to be a teacher I would have to be in a regular classroom...

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
The Following User Says Thank You to Chicky75 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-04-11)
Old 08-02-11, 11:02 PM
Contributor

Caffeinator is just really niceCaffeinator is just really niceCaffeinator is just really niceCaffeinator is just really nice

Every time I get a new job (been through about 6 or so in just the past year), I start out on the first day thinking to myself "OK, the next payday is two weeks away, so there's at least one and a half paychecks down before the training period is up..."
For instance, two days ago I started working at a very respectable and, as it turns out, my favorite pizza place (not sure I should mention the company name here). So far so good, and it's pretty simple stuff, definitely not like a restaurant, but still there's that self-doubt in the back of my mind that after about three weeks or so, maybe a little longer, I'll be asked to leave because I fell short here or there, wherever, OR I'll get frustrated at the monotony and the difficulty relating to the other co-workers, flip out and "get fired", when really it's a sabotaging "quit".

Also, whenever I go outside, I try to maintain an "even keel" with a just-so application of caffeine and/or some other stimulant, and usually make a fresh application while on the job, like a soda etc. This tends to increase the "intox level" slightly, and people notice a change, which makes the awkwardness level increase...

Anyone had these problems?

"Inside each of us there are two wolves:
One is Evil - It is Anger, Envy, Sorrow, Regret, Greed, Arrogance, Self Pity, Guilt, Resentment, Inferiority, Lies, False Pride, Superiority.
One is Good - It is Joy, Peace, Love, Hope, Serenity, Humility, Kindness, Benevolence, Empathy, Generosity, Truth, Compassion
Which Wolf wins? The one you feed the most."
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

kathrynsmathryn will become famous soon enough

Just got hired at the new Safeway they're erecting just a few blocks from my house! I couldn't be more thrilled. I start in December!
SSRIs: Citalopram, Fluoxetine, Sertraline
Benzodiazepines: Clonazepam, Alprazolam
Stimulants: Methylin ER, Dexmethylphenidate, Amphetamine Salts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kathrynsmathryn For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-31-11), BR549 (10-31-11), pechemignonne (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 09:41 PM

tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

Second interview at Future Shop this Friday! They do two, so if they want me back I guess they semi-like me already.
Old 10-31-11, 09:52 PM

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynsmathryn View Post
Just got hired at the new Safeway they're erecting just a few blocks from my house! I couldn't be more thrilled. I start in December!
Congrats!!

I have a job interview Weds...

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
BR549 (11-04-11), kathrynsmathryn (10-31-11)
Old 10-31-11, 09:53 PM

Thanked 12,146 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynsmathryn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post
Second interview at Future Shop this Friday! They do two, so if they want me back I guess they semi-like me already.
Whoop! Whoop!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
kathrynsmathryn (10-31-11), tipoo (10-31-11)
Old 11-04-11, 06:10 PM

Second interview went really well! I'm 90% sure he practically gave me the spot! I should hear back by the 16'th, and work by December 3'rd.
Old 11-04-11, 10:15 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,217 Times in 8,203 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I just started working as a book publicist, and it's been going fairly well.
BR549 (11-04-11)