ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-18, 12:18 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,537 Times in 845 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
DASH diet

There is a study that says that the DASH diet helps depression. It makes so much sense!! I can't post the link but it was published on 3/29/18 on www.theatlantic.com
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (06-25-18), namazu (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 12:33 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,976 Times in 9,998 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DASH diet

The Atlantic article is called "The Diet That Might Cure Depression" by Olga Khazan.

The DASH diet was originally intended to help people prevent/control high blood pressure. The gist is this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute of NIH (see link below)
  • Eating vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
  • Including fat-free or low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
  • Limiting foods that are high in saturated fat, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils
  • Limiting sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets.
You can read more about the DASH Eating Plan from the National Institutes of Health.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-03-18)
Old 05-18-18, 06:48 AM

Raabit is on a distinguished road

got the impression that the paleo diet is about eating a lot of meat, since meat is one of the main components. However, the dash diet says to limit meat to 6oz a day at the most. It has meat on it's list, but goes on to explain about being careful about consuming too much meat.

Example of Dash Diet:

* Grains: 7-8 daily servings
* Vegetables: 4-5 daily servings
* Fruits: 4-5 daily servings
* Low-fat or fat-free dairy products: 2-3 daily servings
* Meat, poultry and fish: 2 or less daily servings
* Nuts, seeds, and dry beans: 4-5 servings per week
* Fats and oils: 2-3 daily servings
* Sweets: try to limit to less than 5 servings per week

But I was specifically concerned about the meat. since there isn't much on the list to choose from on the Paleo diet, I'm guessing people turn to the meat. Although I do have to admit, that I'm not sure if I understand why the Dash Diet wouldn't specifically say you can eat as much lean chicken or fish as you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raabit For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (05-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-18, 06:53 PM

Thanked 29,578 Times in 13,638 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like the dash diet is basically just the general "eat healthy" eating plan that provides a varied and balanced diet. I don't see anything special or novel in it. Not that it needs to have anything special to be a good sensible diet but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 04:40 PM

Thanked 1,537 Times in 845 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing special other than a study saying this type of eating helps depression.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-12-18)