ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 11-10-17, 01:57 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,231 Times in 520 Posts
WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of
Re: I'm so triggered by everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
what're you studying in school?

i used to be a professor (philosophy)
Health Information Technology.
Old 11-10-17, 02:01 AM

Thanked 34,031 Times in 15,408 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

is it possible that he was (awkwardly) trying to flirt with you?

i don't know that it's necessarily always bad to ....

i think my experiences have given me a different perspective on being physically complimented or suggestive questions.

my dearest friend ever...when he was hypomanic/manic he had something called hypersexuality. he would say the most graphic **** to me. he would post on here things...and i just couldn't be angry with him because it's...complicated. there was and is a lot of love there, though.

but we never had sex (i'm married for ****'s sake) and we never were going to (because he always knew that), but he was INCREDIBLY flirtatious. but sometimes people without much experience flirt and it drops like a bomb.

i'm sorry to hear that his questions made you feel dirty. you certainly have value. i'm also thinking, though, that someone who flirts awkwardly or is told women like a confident male, etc, or an aggressive one, will have their well intentioned flirtations bite them in their **** because it does trigger such sensitivity for some.

i don't know. if someone asked me that, i'd have a very different perspective.

but, in all fairness, my affect is flat as a board right now so it's not really in my wheelhouse to get attached to having emotions i experience a decided, and obvious, paucity of.

i guess i'm just coming at this from a more matter of fact position because i can't even invest emotionally in myself at the moment. that's what i meant by taking a step back though. if that makes sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-17), WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 02:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud ofWhiteOwl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
is it possible that he was (awkwardly) trying to flirt with you?

i don't know that it's necessarily always bad to ....

i think my experiences have given me a different perspective on being physically complimented or suggestive questions.

my dearest friend ever...when he was hypomanic/manic he had something called hypersexuality. he would say the most graphic **** to me. he would post on here things...and i just couldn't be angry with him because it's...complicated. there was and is a lot of love there, though.

but we never had sex (i'm married for ****'s sake) and we never were going to (because he always knew that), but he was INCREDIBLY flirtatious. but sometimes people without much experience flirt and it drops like a bomb.

i'm sorry to hear that his questions made you feel dirty. you certainly have value. i'm also thinking, though, that someone who flirts awkwardly or is told women like a confident male, etc, or an aggressive one, will have their well intentioned flirtations bite them in their **** because it does trigger such sensitivity for some.

i don't know. if someone asked me that, i'd have a very different perspective.

but, in all fairness, my affect is flat as a board right now so it's not really in my wheelhouse to get attached to having emotions i experience a decided, and obvious, paucity of.

i guess i'm just coming at this from a more matter of fact position because i can't even invest emotionally in myself at the moment. that's what i meant by taking a step back though. if that makes sense.
Maybe it's possible, but I don't think so. He asked me at one point if I work out and I said I go jogging. Then again today he asked me if I work out and I told him he already asked me that, but I like to jog. Then he asked me that question. So, maybe it was just flirtatious, but I took that to mean he was really picky about appearance and fitness. I don't care if I thought my hips and thighs were the bomb, asking a woman that question at all, especially after only a couple days talking and all the other things he said to me, just seems inappropriate to me. I would not have asked about his muscles or anything like that. I mean, I think he should have been able to tell by my picture that I'm a healthy weight and there's nothing wrong with being super fit, but I just don't have the time to be at the gym all day, like he apparently does.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-17, 02:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

It's ok, though. There were other things that bothered me, too. That was just the final straw. I should not have let it get to that point, now I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (11-11-17)
Old 11-10-17, 03:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I feel bad I brought so much unnecessary drama to the relationships thread. I'm legit crazy. Thank you to everyone for helping me through it. If I ever talk to anyone else, hopefully there will be less drama. But I'll make sure I post about it for free entertainment.
Old 11-10-17, 06:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,269 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

You didnt "bring drama" to this thread.Life is full of drama and its ok. I think you are getting ahead of yourself. I think the idea that you had someone interested so quickly was intriguing to you. He said he was employed and so you felt safe that he didnt seem like a financial predator. It seemed to be moving smoothly even though you felt like there was a red flag. And then he asked you a physical question that threw you. Is it possible that he was just fishing a little seeing if you were the kind of person who would be flattered that he asked this about you? Do you think he was legit being a creep?It sounds like he was or had poorly timed ideas about sexy flirting and came off like a pervert. Yes, you have to listen to your gut but (no offense) your gut is broken right now.

You have just come out on the other side of a very loveless marriage in which you admit you ignored certain signs. Because of that your red-flag detector is going to be messed up. You could feel warning signs in your gut and be entirely misunderstanding them or you could be slapped with red flags and overlook them because you spent years in a marriage burying them.

I think trusting your gut is good but if it doesnt add up on paper right away I dont think it means you should run. Just take things as they come and when you are given a plain sight red flag that you can see and grasp, then run from whoever that is.
You might find that everything seems like a red flag and thats ok for now.

Just remember to hit the pause button. You do not owe anyone an answer or response right away. You can take your time.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-17), OyVeyKitty (11-10-17), WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 06:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

OyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud ofOyVeyKitty has much to be proud of

I'm sorry he turned out to not be what you were looking for, WhiteOwl!!

Please don't beat yourself up for coming here looking for opinions. I think it was a smart thing to do when you're still healing from an abusive relationship, new to the online dating world and haven't dated in general for a long time. Nothing crazy about that whatsoever! Like sarahsweets said, your red-flag detector could be really broken right now.

That said, his comment asking about your body would have earned him a solid block from me as well. It just goes well beyond my comfort level even if he's just testing the waters. It feels like the verbal version of making googly eyes and then commenting about what draws his eyes. It's objectifying. I feel like a respectful man knows that this crosses all sorts of boundaries. particularly with a woman who says she needs you to be patient.

You should give yourself a pat on the back for looking out for yourself, WO. I think you did the right thing no matter what his intentions were, because you felt bad and dirty when he said what he said and that's all that matters. Your comfort should come first.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OyVeyKitty For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-17), Lunacie (11-10-17), WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I could have asked if he was just joking, but that idea didn't even dawn on me. I mean who asks stuff like that? What would I even say? "Why yes, they're quite nice. Thanks for asking!" I mean what a ridiculous question, joke or not. And after saying you want the same things I want, you want to know me and all that, to ask that question literally felt like a slap in the face. I can't see how it could have been a joke, but if so, his sense of humor is not my cup of tea. I want to be respected and that felt disrespectful.

I was starting to get bad vibes even before that comment. There were things that should have made me stop talking to him before that. I realize I was looking past stuff and that scares me. Ignoring red flags is how I got into a crappy marriage. I don't know if I learned my lesson or if I'm capable of doing that again.
aeon (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 10:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,407 Times in 11,481 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

eh, don't fret Owly, there are more than Thigh Guy.

I would have spun it into, "How are YOUR thighs?"

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
eh, don't fret Owly, there are more than Thigh Guy.

I would have spun it into, "How are YOUR thighs?"
LOL! He probably has nicer thighs than me, since he works out at the gym a lot. But that's another thing! His profile says athletic body type and mine says average. Shouldn't that tell him something? Maybe he should talk to only people that say athletic. I'm really not picky. The site asked if I would be interested in people with "a few extra pounds" and I said yes, because I'm there for someone's mind, not their body.
Old 11-10-17, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

But he has kind of ruined things for me. When I look at profiles, I think "he looks like a nice guy", but then I remember how that turned out the last time.
Old 11-10-17, 11:17 AM

Thanked 25,912 Times in 12,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
It's ok, though. There were other things that bothered me, too. That was just the final straw. I should not have let it get to that point, now I know.
Please don't "should" on yourself.

You did the best that you knew with this new-to-you experience.
You learned some things about the experience, and about yourself.
Next time you can use that knowledge to finesse the situation better.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-10-17), WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:21 AM

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
So then he asked me if I have nice hips/thighs and I just started crying.
What a charmer.

To be fair, in times past women have assumed I was not interested/gay/neurotic because I didn’t ask about their hips and thighs online or paw them when I met them.

Because...that’s what guys do...right?

Well Wishes,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:22 AM

Thanked 25,912 Times in 12,086 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Also ... predator type guys are looking for vulnerable women, those who are
leaving a bad relationship and may feel like the problems were their fault.

That says more about "red flag guy" than about you. Of course you are feeling
more vulnerable and asking for extra patience at this point in your life.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

The funny thing is, my husband always said he thought my body was perfect, even after having kids. If I wanted someone who just cared about my body and not my mind, I could have just stayed with him!
aeon (11-10-17)