ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-23-11, 07:53 AM

Geekcalledkat is on a distinguished road
Recently diagnosed with ADD, taking methylfenidaat.

Hi everyone!

Just over a week ago I was officially diagnosed with ADD and my psychiatrist prescribed me methylfenidaat (ritalin) which I have to take three times a day. The last week has been strange. At first I found it very difficult to fall asleep at night (that was also with a coffee after dinner..bad idea!) and I felt for a day or two like a zombie under water. Other things I noticed have been my appetite is greatly decreased. I didn't eat like a pig before but now my partner has to push me to eat something. I had eaten since like 12pm the other day and when I got home from my job at 8.30pm, I was completely full after two bites of dinner. Also usually at the weekend I really need to have breakfast, and this weekend I forgot about eating anything until like 11am...very strange when I was up at 8! For me anyway.

I've also noticed other things like I'm seeing more things. I work as a cleaner for a restaurant and the university and I can see that I notice a lot more things than I usually do. At home as well.

My partner has been great about all this. My ADD has almost broken us up so many times and it's just such a relief to have the diagnosis, and get the medication that can help me. I want to do a study in nursing but it's in Dutch but now it seems like it will someday be possible. It took about 8 months from my first visit to my GP about this to getting the diagnosis.

The last few nights I have been able to sleep a lot better so I hope the side-effects are going away now. It's only been 8 days since I've been taking my medication but already feeling the effects is really nice, I assumed it would take longer.

Ooh I will also join a group for people with ADD/ADHD that my psychiatrist recommended. I'm not sure about it though because I am assuming I'll be the only English person there in a group full of Dutch speakers and I'm worried about understanding but I am going to give it a go!

The only negative thing I have experienced so far since being on my medication is that my mum really can't handle it very well. She just keeps repeating that ritalin is just like speed and how addictive it is.

But hey, I just wanted to share my experience so far!
Old 06-23-11, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recently diagnosed with ADD, taking methylfenidaat.

Well, ritalin isn't like speed or a street drug, if that's what your mom is insinuating. You won't get high taking it. If you are taking it as prescribed, you don't really need to worry about becoming addicted to it. Instances of addiction to ADHD medications usually stem from abusing them. Such as taking more than prescribed, crushing them, etc. snorting them to get high.

Perhaps your mom doesn't quite understand what ADHD is and how it affects the lives of those who have it? Could you help her to understand by educating her? Just learning about the different medications and how they work and are prescribed can help.

I'm glad that the methylphenidate it helping you! It's amazing how when one starts treatment it's like putting on glasses that you didn't know you needed. Everything was blurry before and now it's all clear!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-09-11)
Old 08-09-11, 08:35 AM

aystro will become famous soon enough

Geekcalledkat did they also tell you that the methylfenidaat could be reduced over time. Due to their permanent effect? Thats what they told me :S Dont believe them much though.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-11, 10:58 AM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aystro View Post
Geekcalledkat did they also tell you that the methylfenidaat could be reduced over time. Due to their permanent effect? Thats what they told me :S Dont believe them much though.
Yeah I don't believe that either. There is no permanent effect that I know and the drug is eliminated from the body fairly quickly. If anything, the dose needs to be raised over time as tolerance builds.

Well anyways, Geekcalledkat, it's great that the ritalin is helping. I'm not sure that your mom understands adhd and the difficulties that it can cause, so if you could educate her about adhd in general it would probably help. Also, ritalin, when used to treat adhd, is not generally considered to be addicting. Tolerance does develop in some cases but it's not a huge deal. Assuming you have adhd and you're taking ritalin under the supervision of a doctor (both of which are true in your case), addiction should not be an issue.
Old 08-09-11, 08:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,555 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
Well, ritalin isn't like speed or a street drug, if that's what your mom is insinuating. You won't get high taking it. If you are taking it as prescribed, you don't really need to worry about becoming addicted to it. Instances of addiction to ADHD medications usually stem from abusing them. Such as taking more than prescribed, crushing them, etc. snorting them to get high.
Exactly. The stimulant medications used to treat ADHD, when taken as prescribed, are some of the safest psychoactives in the pharmacopoeia.

Quote:
Perhaps your mom doesn't quite understand what ADHD is and how it affects the lives of those who have it? Could you help her to understand by educating her? Just learning about the different medications and how they work and are prescribed can help.
Nothing dispels the darkness of fear (born of not knowing) faster than the light of knowledge and understanding.

Quote:
It's amazing how when one starts treatment it's like putting on glasses that you didn't know you needed. Everything was blurry before and now it's all clear!
In so many ways Ś both in the present, and in my case, in hindsight. I could see how formerly disparate events from my past had a common thread running through them all.

cheers,
Ian