ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-17, 05:51 AM
tomaspitt tomaspitt is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Oslo
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tomaspitt is on a distinguished road
Concerta tolerance

How fast does tolerance to Concerta develop? Ive been diagnosed as ADHD and I usually turn Concerta to instant release with breaking time release mechanism, is it ok to do so? The reason is that instant release methylphenidate is doing much more to treat my ADHD then XR. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-17, 03:15 PM
midnightstar's Avatar
midnightstar midnightstar is offline
Purriendly feline moderator
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,049
Blog Entries: 10
Thanks: 18,369
Thanked 22,711 Times in 13,410 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concerta tolerance

It's not recommended to do that according to the maker of it.

Speaking as a mod now: to make sure this thread doesn't venture into the "against the guidelines" territory, please be aware of these guidelines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidelines
NO posts involving O.D.s, illegal or improper use of Medication are allowed

In an effort to protect all who use these forums, no posts will be allowed that encourage or support the illegal or improper use of medication of any kind. We do not condone illegal or improper use and do not wish to be a source of information for people who would use medication this way. This includes talk about overdoses or O.D.'s.
Guidelines are found here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75
__________________
Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29th August 2014 - 17th October 2014)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-18, 04:05 PM
PI-ADHD 29 PI-ADHD 29 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: TURKEY
Posts: 75
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

I have used 36 mg concerta for a month. At first two weeks it worked good but then it didn't work. Doctor prescribed me 54 mg a few days ago. But it's working only a little. Can tolerance start just in a few week? Do I need more than 54 mg? Is there anyone who developed tolerance in so short time?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 09-10-18, 10:31 AM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I have used 36 mg concerta for a month. At first two weeks it worked good but then it didn't work. Doctor prescribed me 54 mg a few days ago. But it's working only a little. Can tolerance start just in a few week? Do I need more than 54 mg? Is there anyone who developed tolerance in so short time?
What tolerance have you developed?
Because tolerance shouldn't be a issue unless your chasing the side effects as in more motive, energy, eup feeling
Focus is the remaining effect that should last for a while.

I'm on 72mg Concerta, I had the motive and eup feeling as i started this medication, But the focus stayed.

Some people abuse/chase the medication as the physio effects it gets.

If you feel that the medication is STILL not good enough, Ask for a increase, The medication, Well Concerta should start working a hour after taken

But also it can depend, Weight, Age and metabolism, Even other medication you take
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkMaGiicS For This Useful Post:
benito (09-10-18)
  #5  
Old 09-10-18, 11:48 AM
benito's Avatar
benito benito is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: spain
Posts: 94
Thanks: 88
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

At the beginning of my diagnosis I made the mistake of looking more and more for the energetic effect of the medication. It took me a while to realize that the good dose is one that allows you to function well with the least side effects.
__________________
43 years old. ADHD-PI with depression and mood disorder. Social anxiety.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-18, 02:20 AM
PI-ADHD 29 PI-ADHD 29 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: TURKEY
Posts: 75
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
What tolerance have you developed?
Because tolerance shouldn't be a issue unless your chasing the side effects as in more motive, energy, eup feeling
Focus is the remaining effect that should last for a while.

I'm on 72mg Concerta, I had the motive and eup feeling as i started this medication, But the focus stayed.

Some people abuse/chase the medication as the physio effects it gets.

If you feel that the medication is STILL not good enough, Ask for a increase, The medication, Well Concerta should start working a hour after taken

But also it can depend, Weight, Age and metabolism, Even other medication you take
At first there were physical effects (heart palpitations,dry mouth,nervousness etc) but now I feel very low side effects. It makes me alert, gives energy but I can't focus on my academic works as good as I started to use 36 mg. I can study first 2-3 hours and then my concentration impairs, I bore and do something else (I really want and love to study but I bore too quickly, I even difficulty finish a paragraph). But alertness goes on for 8-10 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-18, 02:48 PM
DarkMaGiicS DarkMaGiicS is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 73
Thanks: 21
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
At first there were physical effects (heart palpitations,dry mouth,nervousness etc) but now I feel very low side effects. It makes me alert, gives energy but I can't focus on my academic works as good as I started to use 36 mg. I can study first 2-3 hours and then my concentration impairs, I bore and do something else (I really want and love to study but I bore too quickly, I even difficulty finish a paragraph). But alertness goes on for 8-10 hours.
Have you been on Concerta before? The first 1-3 hours is when Concerta peaks its levels at, and again around 6-7 hours, Concerta can last for some.people up to 12 hours long!

You may need a increase, I wouldn't generally say its anything to do with tolerance, It sounds more as in its to low!

The energy and motive/alertness, will disappear in couple days, Maybe weeks.. The focus effect should be the remaining effect

If its the motive, energy and alertness that your seeking, Just give it a couple of days break and it will be back to basic, But these medications are very easy to abuse, leading to addiction, dependency, marked tolerance, and sometimes fatal overdose, The eup feeling (Motive, Energy ect) can be dangerous, especially on your heart & brain, You want these effects to stay but the best way is to get rid of them and let the focus effect work its peak, Get a increase? But becareful the effects won't last long, Just the focus effect..

I'm hoping you understand what i mean, As within AD(H)D we notice the focus effect very well and know when it may be to high or to low.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-18, 01:19 AM
PI-ADHD 29 PI-ADHD 29 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: TURKEY
Posts: 75
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
Have you been on Concerta before? The first 1-3 hours is when Concerta peaks its levels at, and again around 6-7 hours, Concerta can last for some.people up to 12 hours long!

You may need a increase, I wouldn't generally say its anything to do with tolerance, It sounds more as in its to low!

The energy and motive/alertness, will disappear in couple days, Maybe weeks.. The focus effect should be the remaining effect

If its the motive, energy and alertness that your seeking, Just give it a couple of days break and it will be back to basic, But these medications are very easy to abuse, leading to addiction, dependency, marked tolerance, and sometimes fatal overdose, The eup feeling (Motive, Energy ect) can be dangerous, especially on your heart & brain, You want these effects to stay but the best way is to get rid of them and let the focus effect work its peak, Get a increase? But becareful the effects won't last long, Just the focus effect..

I'm hoping you understand what i mean, As within AD(H)D we notice the focus effect very well and know when it may be to high or to low.
I was diagnogesed firstly about 2,5 months ago. Firstly doc gave me 10 mg ritalin. The focus effect of ritalin was super but very short. Then doc gave me 36 mg concerta.I have used 30 pills of 36 mg.At first days concerta focused me good but not as good as ritalin. At last days of 36 mg it's focus effect was too low. I told doc that.He said 36 mg was starting dosage and he prescribed 54 mg concerta+40 mg strattera. And I have been using 54 mg for 10 days.
Of course I do not seek energy, alertness. I'm not abusing the drug.I just want focus effect.
I will break drug for a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-18, 02:45 AM
benito's Avatar
benito benito is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: spain
Posts: 94
Thanks: 88
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PI-ADHD 29 View Post
I was diagnogesed firstly about 2,5 months ago. Firstly doc gave me 10 mg ritalin. The focus effect of ritalin was super but very short. Then doc gave me 36 mg concerta.I have used 30 pills of 36 mg.At first days concerta focused me good but not as good as ritalin. At last days of 36 mg it's focus effect was too low. I told doc that.He said 36 mg was starting dosage and he prescribed 54 mg concerta+40 mg strattera. And I have been using 54 mg for 10 days.
Of course I do not seek energy, alertness. I'm not abusing the drug.I just want focus effect.
I will break drug for a few days.
You are in a therapeutic dose. I would go up every week until you reach your dose. Your dose is one that allows you to be focused but at the same time be calm. It is possible that you reach a dose in which you notice that it is too much, then go down to the next lower one and stay in that.

I'm not a doctor, please, discuss this with your doctor and follow his instructions. This is just an idea to help you better understand the situation.
__________________
43 years old. ADHD-PI with depression and mood disorder. Social anxiety.

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-13-18, 12:45 PM
hydrogene hydrogene is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: France
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
hydrogene is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta tolerance

Each person is different, I myself developed tolerance to amphetamine within 2 weeks (decreasing duration of action and decreasing effects). But I know people who have been taking the same dosage for a few months before increasing the dosage. You can switch between Concerta and Adderall once you build up a tolerance to one of these 2 meds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Concerta Poster Girl Powderbucket Concerta 9 07-31-15 09:33 AM
Concerta Tolerance? Anononon Concerta 0 02-04-14 08:44 PM
Concerta, Overdosage, and Tolerance ameteorshower Concerta 7 04-05-13 08:03 AM
Ritalin, Concerta - Tolerance in 1 day?dose too small for concerta? 18mg? calscooby Concerta 2 04-17-11 06:02 PM
Why is my doctor not raising my dosage?/Is Concerta exacerbating my ADHD? frustrADDed Concerta 3 10-26-09 09:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums